SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Offshore Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   lump yft? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6559)

LaAngler 01-04-2010 11:20 AM

lump yft?

i know last year the lump never really turned on, should fish move onto it this month?

adamsfence 01-04-2010 11:54 AM

what is the lump?

SULPHITE 01-04-2010 11:56 AM

sort of a large canyon in the gulf that holds a crap load of bad a.. fishing, just very popular spot though

Ray 01-04-2010 11:57 AM

We have a platform a couple miles away. They are not seeing the amount
of boats fishing as they have since Ike passed thru.

mikedatiger 01-04-2010 02:10 PM

I fished it last year around this time and the tuna never really showed up. Boats were travelling 4 hours from Venice, fishing for 2, and then turning back.

The day that I went we caught 5 wahoo and that was about 4 more than any of the other boats...

mikedatiger 01-04-2010 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic from last year...

LaAngler 01-04-2010 02:16 PM

i hooked a tuna out there 2 years ago that spooled a 30 wide, saw it bite my bait too :eek:

PUREBAY2200 01-04-2010 02:54 PM

The Lump, which is the top of a large salt dome, is located approximately 50 miles southwest off the coast of Venice, Louisiana and is legendary for great bluewater fishing. The combination of shallower waters (depth ranges between 200 and 250 ft.) and the large schools of bait fish that get caught in the current is what makes fishing on the Lump great. It is a major feeding sight for some of the largest yellowfin tuna found in the Gulf of Mexico.
Fishing on the Midnight Lump is at its finest beginning in late December through the month of March. Tuna and wahoo are caught in abundance by live baiting and chumming from an anchored boat while out on the Lump. Marlin can also be caught while Lump fishing. Since the Lump is located in federal waters bag limits are strictly enforced.

go this info from http://www.outerlimitcharters.com/Fi...mp-Fishing.htm

Capt. Kerry Milano runs the guide service. really good capt.

LaAngler 01-05-2010 12:13 PM

i thought the lump was only about 20 miles out of southwest pass

wtretrievers 01-05-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 97980)

It is, they're just tacking on the 25 mile ride down the river to mouth of SW Pass.

meaux fishing 01-05-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 97980)

It probably is. but isnt it 20-30 miles from venice to the end of sw pass?

Gerald 01-05-2010 12:49 PM

And the river can get "socked" in with fog.......Zero visability.....at any time of the day.

Cold river water from up north and high humidity = fog.

Lots of people leave from Grand Isle.........about 2 hour ride in the Gulf but usually no fog.

LaAngler 01-05-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 97987)
It probably is. but isnt it 20-30 miles from venice to the end of sw pass?

it's just over 20 i think

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 98001)
And the river can get "socked" in with fog.......Zero visability.....at any time of the day.

Cold river water from up north and high humidity = fog.

Lots of people leave from Grand Isle.........about 2 hour ride in the Gulf but usually no fog.

you got that right, i will NEVER make that run in the dark again for the rest of my life unless it's on a charter

fishinpox 01-05-2010 05:48 PM

we ran to green canyon 10 hr ride in sloppy seas. doin it again in a month or so cant wait

Ray 01-05-2010 07:08 PM

I am not sure the miles, but my platform is 60 miles South of SW Pass.
We also have a platform, WD-143 that is 25 miles North of us. WD-143
is close enough to see the boats around the Lumps.
But the Lumps are not straight South of SW Pass.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11366.shtml

QUACKHEAD 01-27-2010 01:06 PM

Any and all info on the lumps will be appriciated. I know where it is and how to get there, tell me about the fishing, If you want to share your favorite coordinance with me PM me and I'll keep it our secret...lol . What bait type to fish. Help a brother out.... ok... help me out, Tim and I are going the last weekend in Feb if the weather lets us. I've got three tuna rigs lined up for use but I have to change the line on one. Is 50 # ok or do I need to go up to >80 #. I have heard to use diamond jigs, maraurders, and stretch 30's. I can't go out and by 10 of every bait out there that can catch tuna, but if you had 12-15 baits, (3 diamond, 5 marauders, 5 strtch 30's or what ever) what would you buy. I heard live bait is the best, how do you rig em. Hook in the dorsel or tail??? and can I chum and gettem with a cast net?? Looking forward to this experiance but I want to go at least a little prepared. I aint neber ben on 1 ob dees trips afore. But i'm gettin jiggie wit it on this one. I'm ready for it to happen!

longsidelandry 01-27-2010 01:11 PM

Hey Quackhead, is this the same trip Tim asked me to go on?

QUACKHEAD 01-27-2010 01:14 PM

YEP, you goin... He is takin his boat with a crew and I am taking mine with a crew. I am going to be in Lafayette tomorrow on business for the VA then I'm going to Academy to see what they may have. Alexandria does not carry anything for saltwater other than a little line.

longsidelandry 01-27-2010 01:15 PM

Yep, I told him this morning that I'm down for sure. I don't have any of the tackle needed but he got me taken care of! How long of a run is it from Grand Isle?

QUACKHEAD 01-27-2010 01:35 PM

I think it is around 40-45 miles out. Weather, waves and wind will dictate time to get out there. I'm trying to get as ready as I can for it. We will have 3 GPS's counting a chartplotter, with two hand helds. We should be able to figure which way is north anyway. No .. we gonna have a good trip.