SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Buying a used Boat (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49001)

newguy 10-28-2013 03:21 PM

Buying a used Boat

when buying a used boat from another person, is a bill of sale all that is needed? what is the process?? thanks

speck-chaser 10-28-2013 04:27 PM

Notarized bill of sale and fill out the back of the boat registration.

T-Dave 10-28-2013 05:50 PM

If there is a trailer make sure you have the paperwork!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Goooh 10-28-2013 06:02 PM

Depends on the year, I had to have bill of sale notarized for boat, motor and the trailer was a seperate bill of sale. After a certain year and if the new motor was financed, you have to title the motor as well.

Sent

RL33 03-14-2014 01:32 PM

Sorry for digging up this old post, but I'm looking for tips on things to look out for. The boat I'm interested in is a hour from the nearest place to launch it so test driving may be an issue.

AceArcher 03-14-2014 01:53 PM

for what its worth, unless we are talking about a 12 foot johnboat with a 9.9 on it or something i would not even think of buying a boat with out a test.

also as previously stated, a notarized bill of sale and title for both trailer and boat.... it's just not worth dealing with the hassle if any of those things are missing.

Goooh 03-14-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL33 (Post 672048)
Sorry for digging up this old post, but I'm looking for tips on things to look out for. The boat I'm interested in is a hour from the nearest place to launch it so test driving may be an issue.

If he wants to sell it, his butt will be at the launch. I'm with Ace.

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Don't stack the deck against you from the get go by not running it through it's paces

TidewateR 08-06-2017 03:25 PM

bumping an old thread

I gather that i need a notarized Bill of Sale and title for both trailer and boat?

Has any of that changed? The boats that i've bought in the past were from a dealer out of state, so all paperwork was handled for me. Just want to make sure I do it right. Do you need to itemize the purchase? As in, assign a value for the trailer, hull and motor? Any tips would be great, thanks!

alexm 08-07-2017 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TidewateR (Post 824591)
bumping an old thread

I gather that i need a notarized Bill of Sale and title for both trailer and boat?

Has any of that changed? The boats that i've bought in the past were from a dealer out of state, so all paperwork was handled for me. Just want to make sure I do it right. Do you need to itemize the purchase? As in, assign a value for the trailer, hull and motor? Any tips would be great, thanks!

Depending on the circumstance you may need a title for the motor as well.

And if the boat has never been registered in louisiana you'll want to make sure that you have proof of payment of state and local sales tax on all three or be prepared to pay sales tax in order to get it registered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Samarai 08-16-2017 09:23 AM

u will need to obtain title for boat, motor, and trailer. U must those three in your possession if u ever want resell boat.