SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Freshwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cash's first fish (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61600)

Matt G 09-03-2015 04:38 PM

Cash's first fish

2 Attachment(s)
We went up to Toledo Bend in late July for a few days to just hang out and relax with the kids. I took my little boy bank fishing not really expecting him to sit long enough to catch anything. He let me help him cast a few times then after that he wanted to do it all by himself. He would cast and immediately reel it in like he was working a spinner bait, but he was having fun so I let him do. Finally, a little bream nibbled at his cricket. Then he realized what we were trying to accomplish. He would cast and sit there watching that cork with an eagle eye. Eventually one took the hook and he reeled it in all by himself. We sat there for close to 4 hours and the only time he would move was to cast or reel. He was so excited with his first fish that I put it off to the side and brought it to get mounted when we got home to hang in his room. Show it off now, and use it to make fun of him when he gets older. I dropped the fish off the last week of July and got the call Tuesday afternoon that it was ready!

Attachment 94735

Attachment 94734

lil bubba 09-03-2015 05:20 PM

Nothing to make fun of there.....That gunna be a trophy the rest of his life....

bjhooper82 09-03-2015 07:50 PM

Man, that's awesome!

evidrine 09-03-2015 08:12 PM

X2 that's awesome! How much does something like that cost to have mounted?

Chip Landry 09-03-2015 08:47 PM

That's nice.. He'll enjoy that forever!!

Matt G 09-03-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evidrine (Post 771765)
X2 that's awesome! How much does something like that cost to have mounted?

He quoted me $200, but only charged me $150 when it was all said and done. It was worth every penny to see my little man's face when I brought it home........ He just better not expect me to mount every one he catches! Haha

BIG-C 09-03-2015 09:05 PM

Congrats to u both!!!

meaux fishing 09-04-2015 07:23 AM

cool story bro... seriously

bmac 09-04-2015 01:14 PM

You're a good dad! Mine did the same thing when I killed my first squirrel. It was a small one and the tail hair seems pretty sparse now, but I still remember how proud I was!

I remember the day the mount was done we were showing it to one of my Dad's friends and he asked, "Where's the mom and dad?" I still get a kick out of that memory.

BessFishHound 09-05-2015 09:29 AM

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Mako19 09-05-2015 03:35 PM

That is a great memory that you and him will always share.

When I was around 8 or 9 my grandpaw brought me duck hunting for my first time ever. Before I left my dad promised me that if I killed a duck he would have it mounted for me. He didn't think that I had a chance to kill anything.

Well, I was the only one to shoot a duck that morning. A male wood duck. $175 (out of my dad's pocket) later i had my new trophy. 20 years have passed like the blink of an eye and I still keep that wood duck sitting on my gun cabinet in my room.

wishin i was fishin 09-05-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 771770)
It was worth every penny to see my little man's face when I brought it home........ He just better not expect me to mount every one he catches! Haha

100%! that is awesome.

I was like that when I was little. My dad always says "I taught him how to fish now he out fishes me"

Gonna be great to be with him as he grows up and loves the outdoors.

Matt G 09-05-2015 06:09 PM

Thanks guys. It was a great memory and he would talk about catching his fish every other day afterwards. Now that he actually has his fish, he tells everybody about it. I even took one of the wife's decorations off the wall by the door and hung up the fish so everyone who walks in the house sees it! He REALLY likes that. Unfortunately I had to sell my bay boat so I haven't been able to actually take him out on a boat fishing. I should have my mudboat rigged up and ready in the next week or two, so I can bring him out for his first real fishing trip.

tboy 09-05-2015 08:38 PM

That right there is good stuff. Thanks for sharing!