SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mad People today (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32296)

"W" 06-07-2012 03:36 PM

Mad People today

Didn't get on water till 9 am....due to issues...

Boats were stacked at landing...I asked what yall doing

Weirs Closed.........

FREON 06-07-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444357)
Didn't get on water till 9 am....due to issues...

Weirs Closed.........

Issues???? Is dat what U call changing diapers? :grinpimp:

CaptSI 06-07-2012 04:31 PM

hopefully it will keep the anchor chunkers off the lake this weekend

Salty 06-07-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444357)
Didn't get on water till 9 am....due to having to study for the captain's test that Salty forced me into Saturday....

Weirs Closed.........

Geaux get 'em, Chief.

mriguy 06-07-2012 05:02 PM

Actually......

They were waiting for you to arrive so they could follow.

"W" 06-07-2012 05:05 PM

Some mad peeps....wasted all that gas when they could of called

ScubaLatt 06-07-2012 11:33 PM

why r they closed? I didn't think they closed during the summer?

Gerald 06-08-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaLatt (Post 444678)
why r they closed? I didn't think they closed during the summer?

They are trying to control the salinity back in the marsh. Back this spring Big Lake water was very low salinity so they left the gate at Grand Bayou wier open.

Now that the lake water is saltier, they don't want "lake water" to go back into the marsh unless the marsh water is below a certain salinity.

I guess it has not rained in that area and the salinity got up to the "target" maximum level so the gate was closed.

If it rains in that area, the gate might open back up for a while.

"W" 06-08-2012 06:46 AM

Closing the weirs will affect the lake and keeping them closed over a long peoird of time will change the lakes habitat

Smalls 06-08-2012 07:55 AM

Not closing the weirs will further degrade that marsh because the salinities get too high back in there and it kills the marsh. That marsh back there is not supposed to have a salinity reading of 28 ppt, which it did for several months last year. That is not healthy for the marsh and it will kill the grass back there, just creating more mudflats and eventually, more open water.

toodeep 06-08-2012 08:35 AM

heard they were open but there were pipes in the opening going threw. rumor i heard was someone was caught in there at nite.

Smalls 06-08-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toodeep (Post 444754)
heard they were open but there were pipes in the opening going threw. rumor i heard was someone was caught in there at nite.

Not a rumor. They caught 3 guys in there shrimping with a trawl at night. Not good for those guys, they could drop the hammer on them if they wanted to. Violated federal law by being on a refuge after sunset.

toodeep 06-08-2012 08:57 AM

ouch

SULPHITE 06-08-2012 09:21 AM

SHIP CHANNEL...theres your problem

never going away...so its weirs or no marsh...

"W" 06-08-2012 09:27 AM

That marsh survived years with out weirs

Duck Butter 06-08-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444778)
That marsh survived years with out weirs

Freshwater/Brackish vegetation can survive for a little while, but if salinity stays up, the plants die, and more salt tolerant plants move in which aren't generally as desirable of plants.

Fill in the ship channel or bust!:rotfl:

YellowMouth7 06-08-2012 09:41 AM

My friend I was with when we caught all those big trout last weekend called the 1800 # yesterday at spoke to a Ladie who said they closed grand bayou due to an "Over population" of game fish in the reserve due to hi salinity levels. What y'all make of tgat

Smalls 06-08-2012 10:03 AM

Well i'll tell you that's a BS reason. They closed it because of high salinities, not an "over population of game fish". The weirs are operated the way they are today to maintain that marsh as best as possible. It will never be what it was because of the ship channel and increased salinities to the entire system. People who do not have an eye for wetland vegetation will say a marsh is a marsh is a marsh. Well that is simply not true. That marsh there, as well as the majority of the marshes in south Louisiana, were historically fresh marsh. Today they exist, if you're lucky, as intermediate to brackish marshes, but close to the lake, those are often salt marsh.

Now there is not much you can do to remedy that. That is the repercussions of human influence on the environment.

I wouldn't necessarily say that salt marsh species aren't as desirable, but salt marshes aren't as diverse as fresh or even brackish marshes. You have a wider range of salt tolerance, but a major decrease in species, which means once you hit that salinity threshold (which is quite high for some species; 50 ppt for some strains of Spartina alterniflora, or oyster grass or smooth cordgrass for some), you lose everything.

"W" 06-08-2012 10:12 AM

Now that its closed....the weirs were producing limits of trout everyday If you knew how to fish them there..(big trick) is knowing the few holes to throw in

There was a 9lber and I know of 12-18 trout over 7lbs

Duck Butter 06-08-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls (Post 444798)
Well i'll tell you that's a BS reason. They closed it because of high salinities, not an "over population of game fish". The weirs are operated the way they are today to maintain that marsh as best as possible. It will never be what it was because of the ship channel and increased salinities to the entire system. People who do not have an eye for wetland vegetation will say a marsh is a marsh is a marsh. Well that is simply not true. That marsh there, as well as the majority of the marshes in south Louisiana, were historically fresh marsh. Today they exist, if you're lucky, as intermediate to brackish marshes, but close to the lake, those are often salt marsh.

Now there is not much you can do to remedy that. That is the repercussions of human influence on the environment.

I wouldn't necessarily say that salt marsh species aren't as desirable, but salt marshes aren't as diverse as fresh or even brackish marshes. You have a wider range of salt tolerance, but a major decrease in species, which means once you hit that salinity threshold (which is quite high for some species; 50 ppt for some strains of Spartina alterniflora, or oyster grass or smooth cordgrass for some), you lose everything.

You are correct, I should have said desirable for ducks, they like a little diversity and saltmarshes just don't have the diversity of a freshwater/brackish system.