SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Crawfish / Mustard (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68327)

Creole Fisherman 03-29-2018 09:19 PM

Crawfish / Mustard

Aside from seeing a video online and reading a few threads, does anyone have an opinion on using mustard on boiled crawfish?

smooth move 03-30-2018 09:12 AM

uh-uh

Shoepick_Smuggler 03-30-2018 01:19 PM

good

My neighbor uses mustard a lot of times. They always come out really good.

He puts a jar of candied jalapeno juice in the pot as they are are boiling.
After they are boiled, he throws the crawfish in an ice chest. Pours mustard, the jalapenos without juice, and a few small sprinkles of seasoning. shakes the ice chest a little bit. good stuff.

FF_T_Warren 03-30-2018 03:46 PM

I’ve had that added seasoning at the end and all that is good for is burning your lips and having mudbugs with no flavor. It’s a great way to ruin a sack of crawfish

meat killer 86 03-31-2018 07:12 AM

Never done that. Bet it wouldn?t be bad.
I usually season water well and boil crawfish for 2min and sit for 3min. Throw in ice heat and season again and add copious amounts of lemon juice and some butter. Man they are perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meat killer 86 03-31-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 833860)
I?ve had that added seasoning at the end and all that is good for is burning your lips and having mudbugs with no flavor. It?s a great way to ruin a sack of crawfish

Not sure what seasoning the people have used when they add afterwards in the ice chest but I never have that problem of seasoning crusted crawfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fisheye 03-31-2018 10:00 PM

The basic equation is that fat and acid pair well in food. Crawfish are fatty and do well with acidic compliments.

If you think of the crawfish tail as the grain of rice or pasta and the boiling water as the stock, the goal is to get the flavor absorbed into carrier (much easier with a starch than a protein). Jambalaya kinda sucks with the gravy and the rice cooked separate.

I'm a fan of short boil, longer soak with rapid cool down(multiple batches adds a dimension). I rather dips than smearing condiments on the outside. One of my favorites is vinegar, salt and pepper.

The good thing about food is that it is completely subjective

BananaTom 04-02-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat killer 86 (Post 833881)
and add copious amounts of lemon juice and some butter. Man they are perfect.

I use allot of Lemon Juice also, and I also use allot of Pineapple.
It brings a nice sweetness into the pot.
I get the sliced or cubed pineapple in a can, and it is not for eating, but used for flavoring.

Someone told me this past weekend, at my backyard boil, to try the frozen concentrated orange juice.

Matt G 04-02-2018 01:11 PM

Water, Swamp Dust, and a handful of lemon halves. No point in reinventing the wheel.

swamp snorkler 04-04-2018 09:22 AM

My father in laws neighbor posted a pic on FB of what he added to his pot to boil a sack of crawfish. He had 6 bottles of mustard? I never seen that before in my life.

BananaTom 04-04-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 834041)
My father in laws neighbor posted a pic on FB of what he added to his pot to boil a sack of crawfish. He had 6 bottles of mustard? I never seen that before in my life.

I know I like fried fish, using mustard first, the placed in the Fish Fry Coating.

I may have to try this one.

De-Rail PS: I am loving the price of crawfish, they fell fast this year.

swampman46 04-05-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 833963)
Water, Swamp Dust, and a handful of lemon halves. No point in reinventing the wheel.

Exactly. Sometimes keeping things simple is best. Louisiana crawfish boil and that's it! Very tasty every time. Seen some put the whole garden of veggies in. Bottom line, people are there to eat crawfish.

swamp snorkler 04-06-2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BananaTom (Post 834061)
I know I like fried fish, using mustard first, the placed in the Fish Fry Coating.

I may have to try this one.

De-Rail PS: I am loving the price of crawfish, they fell fast this year.

A place near my house has them for $55 a sack. Real nice crawfish too.