SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   From local brokerage to online (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54090)

swampman46 06-10-2014 07:17 PM

From local brokerage to online

I don't like paying $112-114 per trade at EJ. And they tell me that's with a 50% discount! Time to look at online brokers. Can someone tell me what I can expect and what the process is to switch? Would I have to sell off equities (and pay taxes), then move cash to say...Etrade? I did online broker years ago-but with cash I had in the bank-so it was fairly straight forward.

redaddiction 06-10-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 698064)
I don't like paying $112-114 per trade at EJ. And they tell me that's with a 50% discount! Time to look at online brokers. Can someone tell me what I can expect and what the process is to switch? Would I have to sell off equities (and pay taxes), then move cash to say...Etrade? I did online broker years ago-but with cash I had in the bank-so it was fairly straight forward.

I use Scottrade. $7 per trade. Takes 5 minutes to set up an account onlline. I see there is an option to transfer stocks from other brokerage firms to my account. There are forms to fill out.

What are you getting for that $112 per trade? WOW!

swampman46 06-10-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redaddiction (Post 698169)

What are you getting for that $112 per trade? WOW!

$112 to sell a stock, then $114 to use that cash to buy another stock. But I should be gratefull that included a 50% discount. :spineyes:

redaddiction 06-10-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 698178)
$112 to sell a stock, then $114 to use that cash to buy another stock. But I should be gratefull that included a 50% discount. :spineyes:

I hope they've been giving you some good stock picks for that money!

swampman46 06-10-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redaddiction (Post 698182)
I hope they've been giving you some good stock picks for that money!

Sounds like you're familiar with traditional brokers-how does that compare with what your broker charges for buy/sell transactions?

redaddiction 06-10-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 698242)
Sounds like you're familiar with traditional brokers-how does that compare with what your broker charges for buy/sell transactions?

It doesn't really. I find my own stocks and log in to my account and buy/sell as needed. It's $7 per buy/sell trade. There are some online tools they give for research and such. But I don't actually talk to any broker.