SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Boykin Spaniel (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66083)

specktator 11-28-2016 02:28 PM

Boykin Spaniel

Time for a new family dog. Wife doesn't want a lab and we're looking for something small that still can hunt, but the little ones can handle. Been doing some research on Boykin Spaniels. I believe that's what I want to go with. Very cool little dog. Average size 25-40lbs. Trying to possibly get one by Christmas. They are very popular in SC and GA. Trying to find one more local. Any help?

Southern Sportsman 11-28-2016 03:13 PM

I had a half Boykin Spaniel and half lab I think, was a good dog. My brother has a full Boykin really good hunting dog, it is limited picking up geese but does a great job with ducks. I will talk to him and see where he got his, think he got it shipped in from up north some where. Will let you know

Duck Butter 11-28-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 812132)
Time for a new family dog. Wife doesn't want a lab and we're looking for something small that still can hunt, but the little ones can handle. Been doing some research on Boykin Spaniels. I believe that's what I want to go with. Very cool little dog. Average size 25-40lbs. Trying to possibly get one by Christmas. They are very popular in SC and GA. Trying to find one more local. Any help?

there a thread on boykins on the outdoor board at tigerdroppings
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/o...ders/67132241/

specktator 11-28-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 812141)
there a thread on boykins on the outdoor board at tigerdroppings

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/o...ders/67132241/

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickt87 11-28-2016 06:50 PM

Contact Matt in Arkansas. Very nice breeding for boykins. HRCHxHR
$2500 870-329-2178

lsudawg 11-28-2016 07:23 PM

Boykin

I had a Boykin/Lab mix. Great dog.

B-Stealth 11-28-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickt87 (Post 812159)
Contact Matt in Arkansas. Very nice breeding for boykins. HRCHxHR
$2500 870-329-2178

Wow, I figured a proven bloodline was pricey.

speckleUknow 11-30-2016 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 812132)

A lil black male Boykin named Earl would be cute af.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cappy 11-30-2016 01:23 PM

I just got a border collie pup. she is just a lil over 3 months and we got her at 8 weeks we are amazed at how fast the lil gal is learning. I got her for 400 she was asking for 500 ya aughta look at this breed as well. Seems like what ya looking for.

bjhooper82 11-30-2016 09:11 PM

My next dog will be a border collie also. They are extremely smart

Cappy 12-01-2016 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is jolie at 3 months old last week
Attachment 113618

bjhooper82 12-01-2016 01:35 PM

Where did you get her cappy? I'm not looking to get one soon but that will be my next pup for sure.

Cappy 12-01-2016 02:01 PM

If ya DECIDE TO GET ONE LET ME KNOW i HAVE THE LADIES NAME AND PHONE NUMBER

I hesitate to put it here but would send it to ya. I got her in Erwinville

simplepeddler 12-01-2016 05:16 PM

I owned a boykin for 14 great years.........she was a wonderful dog.
Please understand, you do not TRAIN a boykin, you EDUCATE a boykin.

I put my hand on that dog ONE time when she was three and refusing me.......she absolutely never forgave me........never.

She did what I asked, but never again because she wanted to.

they do not train like a lab.

Gracie was out of Edisto Kennels, now long gone, but there was a time.......getting a boykin was harder than pledging a fraternity.......

buy only from a hunting kennel

bjhooper82 12-01-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cappy (Post 812376)
If ya DECIDE TO GET ONE LET ME KNOW i HAVE THE LADIES NAME AND PHONE NUMBER

I hesitate to put it here but would send it to ya. I got her in Erwinville

Will do sir. Thank you

saute86 12-02-2016 10:21 AM

My brother had a Brittney Spaniel that was a field trail champ. We killed many quail with her and she was a great duck hunting dog for rice fields but didnt have the stamina for the marsh. I have a border collie and I will never own any other breed of dog. My son use to duck hunt him in rice fields and after the hunt he would pick up the decoys. He will tree squirrels but I cant keep up with him in the woods. He blood trails deer and smarter than your honor roll student.

specktator 12-02-2016 10:45 AM

I didn't think of a collie. They are very cool dogs.

I just put a deposit on a Boykin located in North AL. Will be shipped to me the beginning of February. I haven't told the kids. My 2.5 y/o daughter just randomly started talking about how she wanted her own dog a few nights ago. She is going to die when she sees new pup. Just hope she doesn't choke him to death!

Crawl79 12-02-2016 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 812413)
I didn't think of a collie. They are very cool dogs.

I just put a deposit on a Boykin located in North AL. Will be shipped to me the beginning of February. I haven't told the kids. My 2.5 y/o daughter just randomly started talking about how she wanted her own dog a few nights ago. She is going to die when she sees new pup. Just hope she doesn't choke him to death!

That's awesome, your family will love the new addition.

My GSP passed a few weeks ago. Not yet ready to get a new one and will probably get another GPS but boykin spaniels are also on my short list. Just like working dogs like that.

latravcha 12-02-2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawl79 (Post 812415)
That's awesome, your family will love the new addition.

My GSP passed a few weeks ago. Not yet ready to get a new one and will probably get another GPS but boykin spaniels are also on my short list. Just like working dogs like that.

Where did you get your GSP from? I'm looking for one. Went look at some puppies from the Lady in Hammond and did not have a good feeling about the place. After that I talked to a few people that had bought from her and that is not the kind of dog I want.

Crawl79 12-02-2016 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latravcha (Post 812419)
Where did you get your GSP from? I'm looking for one. Went look at some puppies from the Lady in Hammond and did not have a good feeling about the place. After that I talked to a few people that had bought from her and that is not the kind of dog I want.

Got mine from a guy in Kinder. His are working hunting dogs.
Phillips Gun Dog Kennel he has a Facebook page. He actually had a few pups from his last litter last week. They should be ready to pick up soon. Message me if want his number, great guy met him twice. Once when I went see the pups and again when I picked mine up.