SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best big trout bait (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16009)

Garfish 01-18-2011 09:47 AM

Mirrolure in the surf.
Either a Top dawg, She dawg or a 51 or 52 M if the top ain't workin.
Caught some bigguns on a Chug Bug too.

specksNdaSURF 01-18-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 221055)
They say bigger bait equals big fish....my personal best was a 6 1/2 pounder caught on a sparkle beetle. A she dog is my favorite to target bigger trout on,caught several 5's on that lure.

she-dog top-dog super-spook in bone, white/chart, chrome/chart, and a ton of others work for me my personal best was only 5lbs but was caught in the surf on a green/white top-dog

jpeff31787 01-18-2011 02:24 PM

the 4 biggest trout that came into my boat were caught on sparkle beetles.. 8 and 3 between 6-7. Also hooked another 8-9 on a deadly dudely.. lost her at the boat ;(

mstulb 01-18-2011 04:08 PM

Super Spook-spring

Floater-winter

troutwhisperer 01-18-2011 07:38 PM

right place, right time, and whatever floats in front of their face....i think they will eat anything that is in front of them. now knowing where to be and when to be there is another thing...other than that the before mentioned baits up your chances...thats what i think anyway

Salty 01-18-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutwhisperer (Post 221520)
right place, right time, and whatever floats in front of their face....i think they will eat anything that is in front of them. now knowing where to be and when to be there is another thing...other than that the before mentioned baits up your chances...thats what i think anyway

I agree with this. In order to consistently catch big trout...you have to think like a big trout. But, there is an enormous amount of luck involved.

"W" 01-18-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 221523)
I agree with this. In order to consistently catch big trout...you have to think like a big trout. But, there is an enormous amount of luck involved.

Disagree.....It does not take luck to catch big trout.........you just have to know where and when to fish them...AKA Find them....

Ducktrickster 01-18-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstulb (Post 221458)
Super Spook-spring

Floater-winter

Floater in winter goes against what you would think. Interesting!

Salty 01-18-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 221525)
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Disagree.....It does not take luck to catch big trout.........you just have to know where and when to fish them...AKA Find them....

And that's where the luck comes in.

Montauk17 01-18-2011 08:45 PM

No such thing as luck,just in the right place at the right time. :*****:

Salty 01-18-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 221542)
No such thing as luck,just in the right place at the right time. :*****:

Well, ever how ya look at it. :cool: ;)

Drifting a "community" reef and landing an isolated sow is not my idea of "being in the right place at the right time". Well, hell....I guess it is. :confused::smokin:

troutwhisperer 01-18-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 221544)

Drifting a "community" reef and landing an isolated sow is not my idea of "being in the right place at the right time". Well, hell....I guess it is. :confused::smokin:

haha in that scenario you could prolly toss a little luck in that

Salty 01-18-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutwhisperer (Post 221545)
haha in that scenario you could prolly toss a little luck in that

That was kinda my point. ;)

Montauk17 01-18-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 221544)

Just giving you a hard time my friend. Luck does come into play. Some select few that know there area catch big trout on a regular basis.(Not W) You have to do your homework like everything else.

troutwhisperer 01-18-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 221549)
That was kinda my point. ;)

lets say you wade....and the tide is coming in good and you go to a spot that is good on an incoming tide...you get there and bait is everywhere. you get out for a wade thinking i should catch a big trout here and you catch a 6, 7, or 8 pounder...luck? or skill? right place, right time?

huntin fool 01-18-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUE (Post 220880)
shuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssssssh !

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 220874)

Hush it Telich!!!!!!!!!!

"W" 01-18-2011 09:14 PM

LUCK is when a Pilgrim hires a guide and lands a 11.6lb trout.....

Catching big trout is when you put your mind to one area and fish it slow and long then your patience pays off....

"W" 01-18-2011 09:17 PM

Trout fishing is like taking a C hit....

If you give up on it in 10 minutes ... you might not of known what the full result would of been if you sat 35mins longer

all star rod 01-18-2011 09:22 PM

Biggest Spec I ever caught was right at 6lbs.....Big Norton Sand EEL.....salt and pepper with chart tail on the North end of Long Point a few years ago...
Also, I did catch a 5lb one towards the end of the summer on the small spook. Bone with the silver side on Long Point.

Salty 01-18-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutwhisperer (Post 221555)
lets say you wade....and the tide is coming in good and you go to a spot that is good on an incoming tide...you get there and bait is everywhere. you get out for a wade thinking i should catch a big trout here and you catch a 6, 7, or 8 pounder...luck? or skill? right place, right time?

I'm not saying that consistently (and this is the operative word here) catching big trout is all luck. Jeff Poe, Will Drost, Bruce Baugh and, yes, Michael Stulb are students of the art on Big Lake. Knowing that a certain spot is good on an incoming tide, knowing the angle to cast and being in stealth mode is putting yourself in a position to lessen the odds against you. If the average meat hauler pulls up to that same spot and catches a big sow.....it is luck. There is even a certain amount of luck involved in landing a trophy trout that's on the back end of a 50 yard cast.