SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   First Split (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67907)

ckinchen 11-28-2017 01:35 PM

First Split

There are almost no reports these days on websites or Facebook due to fear that someone will take your spot which I absolutely get.

So in general I will say in my experience the leases I hunt do not have the birds we normally have for this time of year. We are still shooting some and the hunts haven't been horrible but the amount of birds is WAY down from the last few years.

I am hoping the cold weather expected during the split will bring our birds on down, it was close to 70 degrees in parts of Kansas yesterday.

What are you guys seeing, thoughts? All of my leases are west of highway 27 in the marsh.

Reefman 11-28-2017 02:09 PM

In GC teal is the only duck working. If ya wanted to hold out for big ducks you would come back empty.....Kinda scary...no greys, a few smart pintail, no widgeon, mallards are a thing of the past down there....

all star rod 11-28-2017 02:13 PM

In pecan Island when we do shoot teal are mostly it. Had a decent hunt FRI (10 mostly teal) and 8 SAT (all teal) 2 hunters both days. Not seeing many big ducks. My lease SW of Kaplan is the worse it has been in like 10 years. Nothing flying at all.

Josh C 11-28-2017 03:14 PM

In the Marksville area we killed limits opening day, but haven't come close to scratching a limit since. Killed 6 with 4 hunters on Friday and couldn't make ourselves go the rest of this past weekend.

specktator 11-28-2017 04:07 PM

No one even went to my place in PI this weekend. That's how bad it's been. 5-7 ducks a hunt lately. Just not worth the ride from Lafayette.

dwr353 11-28-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 829222)
No one even went to my place in PI this weekend. That's how bad it's been. 5-7 ducks a hunt lately. Just not worth the ride from Lafayette.

I hunted my blind south of White Lake Monday morning. We shot 1 bw teal. I have never seen it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meat killer 86 11-28-2017 05:30 PM

Thank God we aren't the only ones. Worst season first split I have ever seen. I thought last yr was bad.
It just keeps getting worse as the years go. Where are the ducks??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluechip 11-28-2017 05:56 PM

Slow hunting for me..... Opening weekend was great then it came to a stop.

Few birds a hunt. Very few teal. If I had 3 or 4 teal to mix in with my 3 or 4 big ducks, I would be happy.

One of my blinds didn?t fire a shot Friday.

Flex 11-28-2017 08:46 PM

We had two good hunts to close the split back here in TX. But odd thing is haven't seen any teal! Also not a single grey, and those normally combine for 75% of our kills.

Lots of cans. Some pins, and buffle and mergansers.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8c08671a12.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2e4f85feca.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

specktator 11-29-2017 08:57 AM

My buddy in TX said this is worst duck season they've had in quite some time. Lots of pintails but they can only shoot one per man. Fortunately, they're covered up in geese so that's all they've been hunting.

specksNdaSURF 11-29-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 829222)

Worst first split we've ever had since I started keeping count. Teal season was also the lowest count in 12 years hunting same lease.

specksNdaSURF 11-29-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 829217)
In pecan Island when we do shoot teal are mostly it. Had a decent hunt FRI (10 mostly teal) and 8 SAT (all teal) 2 hunters both days. Not seeing many big ducks. My lease SW of Kaplan is the worse it has been in like 10 years. Nothing flying at all.

Roll Tide :spineyes::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

all star rod 11-29-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specksNdaSURF (Post 829276)
Roll Tide :spineyes::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Geaux Tiggers....

We comin
We comin
And we ain't backing down

7 in a row

:rotfl::rotfl:

Flex 11-29-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 829270)
My buddy in TX said this is worst duck season they've had in quite some time. Lots of pintails but they can only shoot one per man. Fortunately, they're covered up in geese so that's all they've been hunting.

Last year was by far worst year I've had since moving to TX 15 years ago.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Matt G 11-29-2017 01:01 PM

Fired 1 shot opening morning then had to get pulled out of the marsh after breaking down. Hadn't been back since. As of today, my boat is still in the shop. The crappy reports kind of make me feel better. I agree with specktator, though. It's not worth the drive from Lafayette for what little birds they do have.

Dogface 11-29-2017 01:29 PM

Hunting east side of pecan island. Worst season ever! We not only aren’t killing many we aren’t even seeing them. Killing about 1/4 the number we usually kill.

bmacha 11-29-2017 01:52 PM

Hunting south of Welsh, year 3. We've killed a total of 5 ducks, way down from last season.

ckinchen 11-29-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specksNdaSURF (Post 829275)
Worst first split we've ever had since I started keeping count. Teal season was also the lowest count in 12 years hunting same lease.

Your lease is usually lights out from the reports I have always seen you post. That isn't a good sign.

specksNdaSURF 11-29-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 829295)
Your lease is usually lights out from the reports I have always seen you post. That isn't a good sign.

It used to be really good but has been going down hill over the last 3-4 seasons ... have had seasons where 750-800 birds killed but the last few havent come close to that and I'm not sure what it is

boatdriver 11-29-2017 05:01 PM

When Big C ain't posting up mallards and teal beat downs, we can all be assured that our season is gonna be rather slow. Our marsh is freshwater and primarily a big duck haven. Nope-not this year. Few good hunts like others and I just ain't motivated. Looks like the split will have great weather----for what? When the birds come down, they won't stay, which will in turn lead to a spotty second split opener. Maybe limits. Then if the weather warms up again, we all gonna be looking at the same empty skies this season.