SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Budget Deer Optics (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4657)

LaAngler 11-01-2009 09:41 PM

Budget Deer Optics

Hit it

Just joined the 7mm-08 club today :D

speckdaddy 11-01-2009 09:42 PM

nikon prostaff. hard ta beat for that price and that quality

LaAngler 11-01-2009 09:46 PM

yeah i had a 2X7 prostaff on an AR, very impressed with the way that scope was built, shooting a 4-14 nikon on my .270, like it too...

but hate to get tunnelvision b/c i'm not really a nikon fan boy yet...

Too Tall 11-01-2009 10:22 PM

Take a look at the Bushnell Elite 3200. Good scopes for the money.

LaAngler 11-01-2009 10:49 PM

I will, i see 3 votes for leupold already, seems like your paying a lot for the name with them if you ask me....

i'm curious to see the results of this poll, i'm not going to vote on it.

Bluechip 11-01-2009 10:55 PM

I own Leupold and Nikon....I like my Leupold but feel like I have just as nice scope with the Nikon Buckmaster for several dollars less....

The only problem I am having with my Nikon is I can't seem to get a deer in the cross hairs this year...

Gerald 11-02-2009 01:13 AM

I have never used a Leupold or Burris.

I bought a Nikon Prostaff back in Jan. I find it is very clear....If I saw a buck @ 200 yards....I could tell you how many points.

Problem with my Nikon.......on a morning when it was in the low 30's, I think I breathed on the scope and it fogged up when I was trying to take a shot.

Then yesterday.....it was a very humid morning and water was rainning down [the scope was covered with water drops] for several hours, and the scope was "foggy" for the first couple of hours of the morning. I thought the Nikon scopes were filled with something [N2 ?] and were not supposed to fog up.

wtretrievers 11-02-2009 08:51 AM

Gerald, they are filled with N2......you need to take yours back if its fogging on the inside of the scope, I have several, not a problem

The Leupold rifleman has 1/2 MOA. It says 1/2 but it doesn't seem to be 1/2, You can move it 1" right & it might move 3" inches right. Don't like that. It's a ***** to zero (fine tune)....Most scopes have 1/4 MOA. Messed with one yesterday on my sons Browning micro 7mm-08 for about an hour & was ready to beat it off with a hammer! Finally got it.:shaking:

LostCajun 11-02-2009 08:53 AM

How much you looking to spend? I have a Zeiss Conquest 4-12X56 that I might get rid of.

Is it October YET? 11-02-2009 09:59 AM

Burris

I have the Fullfield II w/ the Ballistic Plex rectile. It is awesome. I paid $220 and got a free Garmin etrex gps with it. You can get either the gps or a pair of binoculars with the scope for that price. I would also recommend the Burris signature zee rings as they come with inserts to protect your scope. Check out opticsplanet.com for the scope and the rings. You will not regret it one bit.

LaAngler 11-02-2009 12:54 PM

does the burris have "click" adjustments that can be made with your fingers?

checked out the reviews of the scopes on cabelas and the zeiss, burris, nikon, and leupolds all get between 4.4 and 4.8 out of 5 stars. nikon prostaff wins with 4.8 out of 5. did find a zeiss 3X9 for 399 brand new which isn't bad.

wtretrievers 11-02-2009 01:37 PM

Bruce, I've been impressed with the Nikon prostaff's, I have five, 4- 3x9x40's & 1- 3x9x50. 3 of them are on 45-70's & they have stayed true on these hard kicking mules! Not a problem with any of them, I have a Burris fullfield that I bought in '91 with Burris mounts on a Remington 7600 7mm-08 & have had to sight in twice, when I mounted it & once several years later don't know if I bumped it hard on something or what??? Take it out every year & squeze 3 off & they're right on the money. One inch high at 100. Good scopes mean alot, but good mounts are the key!!!!!!

Is it October YET? 11-02-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 70759)

checked out the reviews of the scopes on cabelas and the zeiss, burris, nikon, and leupolds all get between 4.4 and 4.8 out of 5 stars. nikon prostaff wins with 4.8 out of 5. did find a zeiss 3X9 for 399 brand new which isn't bad.

It does have the click adjustments. Once you sight it in you will be good though. With the ballistic plex it gives you differnt marks to compensate for greater distances so you don't have to "click" it when you are in the field. Be sure to take a look at the Burris Signature Zee rings and bases no matter which scope you get.

LostCajun 11-02-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 70759)

Buy it. Zeiss' worst glass is better than the best glass of all the other scopes discussed in this thread. :smokin: deal.

flounder_smacker 11-02-2009 05:31 PM

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/38974-34.html

la these scopes are made solid. everywhere you read reviews of this scope they are good. daves gun shop keeps them in stock go look through one you will be impressed. i have the older model of this same exact scope and the only scopes that look better through the glass in ziess and the big s. for the money you can not go wrong. i have beat up this scope and it holds zero all day. the turrets still work after 4 years of USE on my 270wsm.

live to fish 11-02-2009 05:49 PM

I'm gonna have to go with Bushnell on this one. They don't get the glory of the other you named but they are good quality. I have been having one on a 30-30 for about 10 years, still going strong.

Gerald 11-03-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtretrievers (Post 70685)
Gerald, they are filled with N2......you need to take yours back if its fogging on the inside of the scope, I have several, not a problem

I shipped my Nikon scope back [to Calf.] today. Not sure how long this will take......est. 10 days to 2 weeks???

I tried to talk the Customer Service guy into shipping me a New scope first and bill me for it........then I would send my "OLD" one back after I got the new one and get my money credit back. He told me they could not do that.

I gave him a very hard time about not having the use of my rifle when the "GUN" season has just opened and now I will miss a big part of the season. I told him that my next scope I buy will be from a competor, and not a Nikon. I kept telling him that "Customer Service" is suppose to make a Customer happy.......and I was not happy and he should be able to help me.

Poor Guy......

LaAngler 11-03-2009 09:16 PM

well i did some shopping and checked out several scopes, i think the zeiss conquest will be the one

Shawn Braquet 11-03-2009 09:20 PM

Hey Gerald I was just thinking that if you want you can use my Nikon Prostaff off my 30-06 until yours comes back since I won't be shooting that gun anymore this year. Just a thought its a 3X9X40 so let me know.

Gerald 11-03-2009 09:27 PM

Thanks for the offer. I have the old scope that I could put back on the gun....but then I would have to re-sight it in.

I may just Bow hunt in the Atchafalaya basin, until I get a "NEW" scope to put on the rifle.

But I think at Clear Creek the Rut will be full swing starting in a day or two, so I may borrow a gun from someone to make a hunt there.