SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wiers not opening this year (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47002)

tgsx750f2000 08-15-2013 01:35 PM

Wiers not opening this year

Has anyone heard anything about the Wiers opening for shrimp season? It would suck if they don't open! I catch all my shrimp for the year there each year. I was told by someone that called the number and spoke to a person that if we don't get enough rain they won't be opening them.

"W" 08-15-2013 01:45 PM

Not going to open until get at least 6inchs of rain

Our man made structures at work !! Choke off the lakes life support...right now we should have shrimp pouring out of that marsh on falling tides

Slidellkid 08-15-2013 02:50 PM

When is shrimp season?

"W" 08-15-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slidellkid (Post 617771)
When is shrimp season?

Opened Monday

specksNdaSURF 08-15-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slidellkid (Post 617771)
When is shrimp season?

Tom

swampman46 08-15-2013 07:22 PM

You guys talking about the Rockerfeller wiers?

Evans 08-15-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 617763)

Our man made structures at work !! Choke off the lakes life support...right now we should have shrimp pouring out of that marsh on falling tides

That's not good for catching shrimp or fish!!!

Montauk17 08-15-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 617876)
You guys talking about the Rockerfeller wiers?

Grand bayou weir in calcasieu lake.

mstulb 08-16-2013 03:52 PM

Yep

Yep I agree with you, especially just so a select few can have a little more widgeon grass in there pond. sorry but bs

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 617763)

Top Dawg 08-16-2013 05:52 PM

Teal season gonna be on! Come one september

Duck Butter 08-16-2013 06:39 PM

I just listened to 3 solid hours of talks on freshwater diversions and it was very civil even though there was disagreement on a few things, mainly the cause of the land loss below Caernarvon. There were 2 oceanographers, 2 geologists, and a plant ecologist. Some pointed towards Hurrican Rita, some towards the diversion for the land loss. One of the take home points was that for every acre of dredged canal you lose 4-5 acres of marsh. One of the things that they all agreed upon was that saltwater is the worst thing that can happen to a marsh. There are different types of marshes, and they can all tolerate salinity differently but saltwater for long periods of time will kill it all. The poster child for this is Sabine NWR where Rita brought saltwater and kept it on the landscape for long periods of time. You can see it on Google Earth and any aerial photos that the land was lost and isn't coming back. THIS is what you get when you have saltwater come into a system for long periods of time.

The people that are 'benefitting' from keeping saltwater out of that marsh is everyone in Louisiana;)

Ask Vermilion Parish rice farmers about saltwater intrusion and what it does to crops (i.e. their livelihood)

widgeongrass can handle a little salinity also

AceArcher 08-16-2013 06:47 PM

now why can't we have a like button on this darn website.. :)

Duck Butter 08-16-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceArcher (Post 618181)
now why can't we have a like button on this darn website.. :)

:rotfl:

Duck Butter 08-16-2013 06:50 PM

Those guys that own land behind the weirs probably belong to DU and/or CCA though:eek:

AceArcher 08-16-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 618183)
Those guys that own land behind the weirs probably belong to DU and/or CCA though:eek:

Ut ohh... time to put on flak jackets and helmets!!! :) :rotfl:

Duck Butter 08-16-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceArcher (Post 618188)
Ut ohh... time to put on flak jackets and helmets!!! :) :rotfl:

I am outta here:rotfl:

capt coonassty 08-16-2013 09:33 PM

Duck butter, did you go to LAPB?

"W" 08-16-2013 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 618179)
I just listened to 3 solid hours of talks on freshwater diversions and it was very civil even though there was disagreement on a few things, mainly the cause of the land loss below Caernarvon. There were 2 oceanographers, 2 geologists, and a plant ecologist. Some pointed towards Hurrican Rita, some towards the diversion for the land loss. One of the take home points was that for every acre of dredged canal you lose 4-5 acres of marsh. One of the things that they all agreed upon was that saltwater is the worst thing that can happen to a marsh. There are different types of marshes, and they can all tolerate salinity differently but saltwater for long periods of time will kill it all. The poster child for this is Sabine NWR where Rita brought saltwater and kept it on the landscape for long periods of time. You can see it on Google Earth and any aerial photos that the land was lost and isn't coming back. THIS is what you get when you have saltwater come into a system for long periods of time.

The people that are 'benefitting' from keeping saltwater out of that marsh is everyone in Louisiana;)

Ask Vermilion Parish rice farmers about saltwater intrusion and what it does to crops (i.e. their livelihood)

widgeongrass can handle a little salinity also

In other words "Save the Widgeon Grass"

Duck Butter 08-17-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt coonassty (Post 618268)
Duck butter, did you go to LAPB?

Yes, were you there

Duck Butter 08-17-2013 07:20 AM

wigeongrass = Ruppia maritima

W, you can google 'maritime' and see what that means:rotfl: