SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Trolling motor problems (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18065)

Lake Chuck Duck 04-27-2011 06:48 AM

Trolling motor problems

My first problem is I own a motor guide!:pissed: But I have a motor guide 54 lb 12 volt tolling motor that doesnt seem to be getting full power. At first full power would "kick in" after running it a few seconds but now it seems to never kick in. My little fish finder is spliced into the the wiring to the trolling motor. Could this be a factor? Or could my handle switch be bad? Appreciate any suggestions on what to check.

longcast 04-27-2011 08:27 AM

Mine was doing the same thing. Dhp changed the barrings and the brushes. Now I need to change by batteries as the last time I went out it did not stay charged. I have been fighting this trolling motor for a month. I have a rip tide 80lb. My parts were covered but not labor. I think lake Charles tackle is the motorguide reps.

Lake Chuck Duck 04-27-2011 12:14 PM

Thanks Longcast.

LaAngler 04-27-2011 12:26 PM

start simple, you may be getting full voltage on the meter but not full current

check and clean those connections, load test the battery

adamsfence 04-27-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 247910)
start simple, you may be getting full voltage on the meter but not full current

check and clean those connections, load test the battery

do this but sounds like your switch or the brushes.......i hate that i know this much about trolling motors. went threw a bad deal with mine it was a minn kota. they finally just sent me a new one. haven't had a problem yet. good luck

Lake Chuck Duck 04-28-2011 06:40 AM

Gonna dig in to it today and see what I can find. I'm hopin its somethin simple, got a tournament this weekend at toledo.

Andy C 04-28-2011 10:05 AM

I had the same trouble with my 24v. changed the plugs(both ends) and it fixed the problem

adamsfence 04-28-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck (Post 248102)
Gonna dig in to it today and see what I can find. I'm hopin its somethin simple, got a tournament this weekend at toledo.

what tournament. im fishing one at big bass

Gerald 04-28-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 248161)
I had the same trouble with my 24v. changed the plugs(both ends) and it fixed the problem

A few years ago..... I was have problem with new TM just stopping and "maybe" working again. Took it to DPH (?) and said TM worked fine, but the plug in did not look good.

He told me to remove the plugs..... and just "hard" wire it. No more problems. I found that there was a second "plug-in" under the front deck, so I remove it also.

flounder_smacker 04-28-2011 06:45 PM

Di electric grease works good around plugs and any other exposed electrical connections