SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Marsh blind brushing ideas (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62051)

BGcoreg 10-18-2015 09:09 PM

Marsh blind brushing ideas

Wanted to see what you guys do different or what you may think works better as far as what to brush with? Do ya have a roof on the blind? Flaps or anything?
I have one concern after this teal season we made some changes to our boat hide and the door is a struggle to flip up because of brush and it's bigger. I'm thinking about changing it to where it opens like a door on a house or car instead of swinging it towards the sky. Only problem is I'm not sure if hinges would hold it up. Any ideas?

Spunt Drag 10-19-2015 08:55 AM

I like the hog panel bent at an arch with grass weaved and tied to it. I can't stand blinds that are squared off, with flat roofs. Looks like a big a$$ hotel sitting in the middle of the marsh.

Roy123 10-19-2015 09:06 AM

Roseau cane. Its natural and all over our marsh. No roofs or boat hides for us. After years of brushing with roseau we actually created roseau patches around all our blinds. More often then not we have to cut our way into the blinds. The cane behind us is over 8 feet tall giving us a nice back and shade.

Quackhead62 10-19-2015 09:24 AM

Marsh blind brushing ideas

1 Attachment(s)
I use Roseau cane and a mix of wax-mertals just because our marsh tends to say green longer and that green helps break up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quackhead62 10-19-2015 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 96601 the first pic is early season and the second one is in the second split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-Stealth 10-19-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy123 (Post 776201)
Roseau cane. Its natural and all over our marsh. No roofs or boat hides for us. After years of brushing with roseau we actually created roseau patches around all our blinds. More often then not we have to cut our way into the blinds. The cane behind us is over 8 feet tall giving us a nice back and shade.

Y'all be careful with that Roseau; depending on your marsh you could lose your pond to that stuff.

IMO if Roseau is already thriving surrounding your blind then I would use Roseau; but if you don't have much Roseau then DONT INTRODUCE Roseau.

BGcoreg 10-19-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunt Drag (Post 776199)
I like the hog panel bent at an arch with grass weaved and tied to it. I can't stand blinds that are squared off, with flat roofs. Looks like a big a$$ hotel sitting in the middle of the marsh.

Where do you have the arched panel at? We only have panel on top of the boat hide and door.. Our Roseau has grown very tall and we never brush, just trim it. It works very well and can't complain..

BGcoreg 10-19-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy123 (Post 776201)

Ya walk or pirouge to the blind? Or just shove the boat in a patch of Roseau

southLA 10-19-2015 02:08 PM

YES! Thanks to the poster who mentioned that. Do not bring Roseau into an area that does not already have it.

jchief 10-19-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 776209)
Y'all be careful with that Roseau; depending on your marsh you could lose your pond to that stuff.

IMO if Roseau is already thriving surrounding your blind then I would use Roseau; but if you don't have much Roseau then DONT INTRODUCE Roseau.

Crap took over 2 of our better ponds. Be careful with it.

We use wire and weave bundles of salt grass into them. Matches our marsh well.

Marque 10-19-2015 11:08 PM

Wax Mertil's last. Usually mix them in with the sheets of marsh gras camo. I think its like 15$ a sheet.

Reefman 10-20-2015 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunt Drag (Post 776199)

If you have the time this is the best way to brush a blind in the marsh. If done right you can't even tell there is a blind in the pond. Cut the marsh grass and bind a handful at a time with electrical tape then weave into hog wire.

BGcoreg 10-20-2015 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefman (Post 776322)
If you have the time this is the best way to brush a blind in the marsh. If done right you can't even tell there is a blind in the pond. Cut the marsh grass and bind a handful at a time with electrical tape then weave into hog wire.

That is what we do but I'm curious to know where he puts the angled panel at . We only have panel on top of our boat hides. The rest of the blind is covered in Roseau growing straight up so it looks natural

B-Stealth 10-20-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGcoreg (Post 776347)
That is what we do but I'm curious to know where he puts the angled panel at . We only have panel on top of our boat hides. The rest of the blind is covered in Roseau growing straight up so it looks natural

He's talking about a pit or 1/2 barrel blind with salt grass only. You transplant marsh grass around the blind and also have a perimeter of hog panel. You bend the hog panel back towards you at a 45degree angle.

We're grassing a new blind this weekend I will try to post some pics.

huntin fool 10-20-2015 09:53 PM

My blind I hunt everyday is on a terrace surrounded with wax bushes. Brushes itself minus breaking a few on the levee each day. Salt grass barrel blinds, run hog panel at a 45 angle. Weave broom tops and tie on too the brooms. Put hay bales underneath the panel to double as a storage shelf.

Roy123 10-20-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 776209)

The marsh I'm talking about my family has hunted since the 80's and it has always had roseau. Yeah it can spread very quickly but what we fight every year is the cat tails. That takes away the most from the ponds.

Roy123 10-20-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGcoreg (Post 776213)
Ya walk or pirouge to the blind? Or just shove the boat in a patch of Roseau

I drop the guys I'm hunting with off at the blind. I park the boat a ways out of the pond and up a ditch somewheres. Then I paddle back in and hide the pirogue behind the blind. I would like to build a structured boat hide behind some of our blinds. That would make things easier, quicker, and safer, not gaving to mess with the pirogues. However the crew I hunt with won't likely cooperate with that. I will say that we are very much concealed, not having a boat hide behind your blind eliminates something else for the birds to look at. I like a lot of cover and some guys think we are extreme with it but if a bird flares it is rarely because it saw us I feel.

cashcropper 10-24-2015 08:53 AM

Palmettos and salt grass bundles. Cover most of the open area with palmettos. They cover a lot of area and are easy to cut. Dress it with zip tied bundles of salt grass. Use a gas powered hedge trimmer and cut salt grass close to the ground. Get a handful and zip tie it at the bottom and about 8 inches up. It will look similar to a broom. This covers well and takes little maintenance year to year.

Bdub 10-24-2015 09:19 AM

Building a boat hide behind the blind has been the best thing I've done yet for my blind. I used to use a canoe and cover it with grass but it was never concealed properly in my mind. They see a big black hole from the sky and thats what they key in on...when you brush a boat hide correctly and break up the corners it looks like another peice of marsh. We use roseau and the extra grassy movement on the windy days helps it look natural.

BGcoreg 10-24-2015 02:48 PM

We have boat hides at 2 out of 3 of our blinds.. They make it very nice when we have older fellas with u,. Which is a lot of the time. I'm a lot younger and don't mind paddling back to the blind that doesn't have a boat hide, but I wouldn't have one without it. Ours is covered very well and if ducks don't come in, I doubt it's because of the extra size of the boat hide.