SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   3-20-19 Calcasieu Point (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69098)

MEM1971 03-20-2019 01:33 PM

3-20-19 Calcasieu Point

1 Attachment(s)
Was at the point for daybreak. Fished a few spots I like just south of the point and not one bite. Water super clear! Could see bottom in 4 feet of water. Have to wade that spot one day. Anyway went back to where I was catching the pickles day bef Re and managed to box a limit of trout and one nice red. 30-40 trout caught to get my 15 and 3 reds all over 27" but kept one for the pit tonight. No size at all on the trout but most I talked to have not been catching any. They were in 8-10 feet of water. If u fished 12-14 fow or 3-6 fow I would not get a bite. Had to be in that 8-10 fow range to get em. Bull reds were 15 fow and were fun to catch. Took a quick pic although they are pickles and nothing to brag about it is my first trout limit of 2019. Water is beautiful! Again they would not hit anything but live shrimp. If shrimp was dead nothing! Had to be good and alive. Tried plastic and twitch baits again but would not bite anything but the live shrimp. Did not see any shad or mullet and I looked hard for some. Honestly these fish look like they are starving to death, lol. Very skinny fish! Except for the bull reds of course. Sure hoping we don't get a lot of rain cause it could be good start when it starts to warm up.

ahlangle 03-20-2019 08:44 PM

You keeping this thing alive MEM thanks for sharing

Coach_S 03-21-2019 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went from about 5-630 on the North end of the lake.. you are right, the water is beautiful! caught 1 red, 2 trout (16-17" or so) & missed a couple others.. matrix shad.. when i cleaned the trout.. nothing in their stomachs.. thought it was odd bc there is usually something. But very optimistic about this year..

MEM1971 03-21-2019 03:15 PM

Idk why they so picky to eat cause they sure look like they are starving. I didn't see any bait and water still cold. When it warms up and if we don't get the rains like last few years it should be an awesome spring early summer! All the little trout I caught those two days is a good sign of things to come but also very typical of big lake lately too. The few shad I did see are small they went right thru my cast net and only caught one mullet. Need that bait to come in but tide seems high and probably back in the marsh. I bet behind the weirs is on fire right now!!

Jasonf 03-21-2019 03:49 PM

Nice trip. The weather is beautiful to be out on the water right now. I hope to have a post or two in the next week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bayou fishing 03-21-2019 10:32 PM

Congrats on your first limit of this year! That was a very good report and enjoyed reading it ! Hope the weather continues like this being nice like it was today! Hope you can stay on them on your next trip !