SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lacassine deer hunting (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67619)

coonass 09-16-2017 04:10 PM

Lacassine deer hunting

Hello,
I have a deer lease in Longville but they of course picked this week, after i did all the work of planting food plots and getting everything set up, to start clear cutting most of my stand locations:pissed:. So looks like i am going to need another place to deer hunt for awhile. Does anyone have a map or tips on deer hunting on lacassine? I have a boat and bow. Just never did anything there but fish in the bayou side and pool. I live in gueydan so this is the closest place for me. Any help would be welcomed. I wont be back from work till oct 7 and dont want to go running around through everybody's spots lol. Thanks

Gerald 09-16-2017 10:54 PM

Advice..... prepare for the worst mosquitoes you have ever seen. Bring 3 thermocells.

On most of the property, finding a tree big enough to climb is hard. I hunted there some 25 years ago and saw deer on several of my hunts.

calcutta37 09-17-2017 04:52 AM

Just because they started clear cutting doesn't mean the deer won't be there. I would still hunt your place.

jchief 09-17-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcutta37 (Post 826324)
Just because they started clear cutting doesn't mean the deer won't be there. I would still hunt your place.

This.

They strip cut some of our woods. Parked a skidder by my camera and I had daytime pics of deer with skidder in picture.

Feesherman 09-17-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 826319)
Advice..... prepare for the worst mosquitoes you have ever seen. Bring 3 thermocells.

On most of the property, finding a tree big enough to climb is hard. I hunted there some 25 years ago and saw deer on several of my hunts.

This!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jchief 09-17-2017 08:49 AM

Deer flies used to be horrendous.

Feesherman 09-17-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchief (Post 826333)
Deer flies used to be horrendous.

I used to wear a bug suit and had two thermocells runnin. I gave up huntin out there tho, too hot, too many bugs, too much trouble

BGcoreg 09-17-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coonass (Post 826305)
Hello,

I have a deer lease in Longville but they of course picked this week, after i did all the work of planting food plots and getting everything set up, to start clear cutting most of my stand locations:pissed:. So looks like i am going to need another place to deer hunt for awhile. Does anyone have a map or tips on deer hunting on lacassine? I have a boat and bow. Just never did anything there but fish in the bayou side and pool. I live in gueydan so this is the closest place for me. Any help would be welcomed. I wont be back from work till oct 7 and dont want to go running around through everybody's spots lol. Thanks

You should deer hunt your place on longville. most hunters don't understand the benefits of a clear cut. Find a trail or somewhere they are entering the clear cut and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gerald 09-17-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 826338)
I used to wear a bug suit and had two thermocells runnin. I gave up huntin out there tho, too hot, too many bugs, too much trouble

Hunting Sabine Island on most days has just as many misquotes. The face mask I had many years ago was typical misquote net design.... the netting would touch your ears and nose. These spots would get bitten hard. I learned to put a bandaid to protect those spots.

Next year, I made my own face mask where misquotes could not bite me.

Feesherman 09-17-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 826340)

I just left them skeeter woods altogether. The die hards can have it

gwilliams 09-17-2017 06:58 PM

That's my neck of the marsh. I love me some skeeters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coonass 09-17-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGcoreg (Post 826339)
You should deer hunt your place on longville. most hunters don't understand the benefits of a clear cut. Find a trail or somewhere they are entering the clear cut and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

on this lease got to stay within 200 yards of your stand and they just about that far out now so might not be an option. But thanks for the tip.

coonass 09-17-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 826340)
Hunting Sabine Island on most days has just as many misquotes. The face mask I had many years ago was typical misquote net design.... the netting would touch your ears and nose. These spots would get bitten hard. I learned to put a bandaid to protect those spots.

Was worried about this thinking about cammoing out an old nat hood i got almost like a bee keeper hood

coonass 09-17-2017 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the help, think i will still try to go check it out at least till black power on my normal lease. Then i can see whats up.

Gerald 09-18-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coonass (Post 826363)
Was worried about this thinking about cammoing out an old nat hood i got almost like a bee keeper hood

I had hood like a bee keeper's hood. I found the sun would shine off the netting and make it hard to see. Had to mostly look away from the sun while wearing it.

eman 09-19-2017 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 826388)
I had hood like a bee keeper's hood. I found the sun would shine off the netting and make it hard to see. Had to mostly look away from the sun while wearing it.

Get some green rit dye and dye the net

DaPointIsDaBomb 09-19-2017 07:14 AM

I have found that mud is the best thing for mosquitoes. It sucks at first, but just stick your head in some mud and let it cake on there. The mosquitoes cant get you and it is also great camouflage. Acts a a cover scent also. Everything in that marsh smells like mud so it doesnt spook the deer. I think deer can smell those Thermacells

Best part is mud is free and there is plenty of it. You can stick some grass on the mud on your head and really make yourself blend in

Top Dawg 09-19-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 826398)
I have found that mud is the best thing for mosquitoes. It sucks at first, but just stick your head in some mud and let it cake on there. The mosquitoes cant get you and it is also great camouflage. Acts a a cover scent also. Everything in that marsh smells like mud so it doesnt spook the deer. I think deer can smell those Thermacells

Best part is mud is free and there is plenty of it. You can stick some grass on the mud on your head and really make yourself blend in

This^^ I use mud for duck hunting. Cheaper than facepaint and a lot easier to clean off.

coonass 09-20-2017 06:58 PM

Thanks for the tips, be looking to check it out when i come in.