SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Holly Beach trip. (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18339)

MikeinSlagle 05-07-2011 02:53 PM

Holly Beach trip.

I decided to push the trip up to yesterday, 5/6/11 after looking at wind conditions and what not.

I didnt have much luck with the specks. Only caught one on a frozen shrimp, Ive never been very good at using artificials anyway. But it was a pretty good day for reds. (picture quality not too good).

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...each5-6-11.jpg

Smallest was 18", biggest was just over 23". I know most on here talks about catching specks, but we had a blast catching these.

meaux fishing 05-07-2011 03:01 PM

nothing wrong with catching some reds man... at least you got to fish. Im stuck in north LA studying for final exams. How was the water clarity at the beach?

mallard matt 05-07-2011 03:27 PM

I went down that way forthe first time today and caught one red at hog island gully.Looks like y'all did better.If you dont mind me asken did you catch them off the rocks on the beach

MikeinSlagle 05-07-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 251111)
nothing wrong with catching some reds man... at least you got to fish. Im stuck in north LA studying for final exams. How was the water clarity at the beach?

I would have to say the water was stained. Im not a big fisher and dont know cloudy from stained and such LOL. In knee deep water, I couldnt see my feet if that helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallard matt (Post 251114)
I went down that way forthe first time today and caught one red at hog island gully.Looks like y'all did better.If you dont mind me asken did you catch them off the rocks on the beach

Yep. The biggest ones come right off the rocks. Took a while to find em but when we did, the bite was pretty steady.

Bluechip 05-07-2011 04:31 PM

Nice catch Mike...looks like a mess of fish to me. Thanks for the report and keep 'em coming.:)

BayBolt23 05-07-2011 04:35 PM

Nice job Mike

Gerald 05-07-2011 05:08 PM

Mike...... was there very much schools of bait along the beach or rocks.

LaAngler 05-07-2011 05:18 PM

in florida they would freak out catching that ;)

shellman 05-07-2011 05:21 PM

Great day @ da beach....

specktator 05-07-2011 05:24 PM

Nice trip man!

MikeinSlagle 05-07-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 251137)
Mike...... was there very much schools of bait along the beach or rocks.

I honestly couldnt tell ya, I am just getting into saltwater fishing, and never been very good at fishing in general. I didnt see anything breaking the surface that would hint at schooling fish. Couldnt see much in the water and I didnt actually get on the rocks to have a better view point. But, there was mullet jumping all around us and I even stepped on one, or Im telling myself it was a mullet at least LOL. And was seeing fish swirl at the surface pretty regularly. I dont know if that means anything.

We did catch a few croakers and some smaller fish that were probably baitfish (silver and smaller than my hand), quite a few dang catfish and one black drum (though I didnt know what it was at the time LOL). All those we threw back.

longcast 05-07-2011 06:27 PM

Nice job mike. Keep at it. Thanks for the report.

PaulMyers 05-07-2011 07:15 PM

Nice fish Mike! WTG!

Sent from my EVO

Garfish 05-07-2011 08:25 PM

The beach is pickin up and will only get better thru the summer.
Nice catch!!!

Gerald 05-08-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeinSlagle (Post 251147)
I honestly couldnt tell ya, I am just getting into saltwater fishing, and never been very good at fishing in general. I didnt see anything breaking the surface that would hint at schooling fish. Couldnt see much in the water and I didnt actually get on the rocks to have a better view point. But, there was mullet jumping all around us and I even stepped on one, or Im telling myself it was a mullet at least LOL. And was seeing fish swirl at the surface pretty regularly. I dont know if that means anything.

We did catch a few croakers and some smaller fish that were probably baitfish (silver and smaller than my hand), quite a few dang catfish and one black drum (though I didnt know what it was at the time LOL). All those we threw back.

If you want to have a shot at catching a big fish......use one of the croaker as bait. Croaker [anything under 7" long] is very good bait to catch large Speckle Trout. If the croaker is dead.....try cutting it up for bait.

Be very very careful if you try to climb up on the rocks. There will be alge growing on them and it is very slippery.

Usually if the wind is out of the south, the water would be very muddy....like chocolate milk and you will not be able to see even 1" under the surface. Trout mostly stay in cleaner water.....say 6+" visability.

ripinlips 05-08-2011 04:47 AM

Great Job

Those are some good looking Reds...I am with you with the specks, but I will catch Reds anyday.

MikeinSlagle 05-08-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 251276)
If you want to have a shot at catching a big fish......use one of the croaker as bait. Croaker [anything under 7" long] is very good bait to catch large Speckle Trout. If the croaker is dead.....try cutting it up for bait.

Be very very careful if you try to climb up on the rocks. There will be alge growing on them and it is very slippery.

Usually if the wind is out of the south, the water would be very muddy....like chocolate milk and you will not be able to see even 1" under the surface. Trout mostly stay in cleaner water.....say 6+" visability.

I used one of the smaller fish as bait for a little bit but the wind was picking up and it was starting to get late, I didnt stick with it.

The water wasnt all that bad muddy, visability was around 5" or 6".