SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Offshore Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bad charter (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45491)

salty wambsgans 07-01-2013 08:14 AM

Bad charter

I made a trip to Venice this past weekend and went out with Mike Ellis with relentless charters. The only thing he was relentless with was excuses. We went out with not one piece of bait, we had intention to catch tuna but he made fifty excuses why we couldn't go. I've never met a captain that didn't ask you how you wanted your fish cleaned this guy left all of our snapper on the half shell, ribs, belly meat, and some fins. It was the worst experience I've had with fishing by far.

meaux fishing 07-01-2013 08:18 AM

so did yall only go snapper fishing when the plan was a tuna trip?

MathGeek 07-01-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty wambsgans (Post 600193)
I made a trip to Venice this past weekend and went out with Mike Ellis with relentless charters. The only thing he was relentless with was excuses. We went out with not one piece of bait, we had intention to catch tuna but he made fifty excuses why we couldn't go. I've never met a captain that didn't ask you how you wanted your fish cleaned this guy left all of our snapper on the half shell, ribs, belly meat, and some fins. It was the worst experience I've had with fishing by far.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. All the GoM guides I've used have been excellent. Even if a guide is planning to catch bait, most guides will bring some frozen bait for backup.

It sounds like your guide was having a particularly bad day. Sometimes folks forget how much $$$ their fees are to most customers and they forget that a guided trip is something we can only afford once a year or so. If they let their bad day take away from what should be your best fishing experience of the year, then they have robbed you, and there should be some discussion of your displeasure before settling up.

Some people like it, but I've always sort of suspected that "on the half shell" is sometimes promoted to make fish cleaning easier rather than because it is a superior way to prepare fish. The customer is always right regarding how they prefer their fish to be cleaned, and customers on a guided trip that includes fish cleaning should have a choice, and the fish should be reasonably well trimmed. A guide is a professional, and the fish cleaning job should also be professional, that is, more careful and thorough than the average recreational angler. That said, I prefer to clean my own fish, because I have learned that care, cleanliness, and handling are very important to taste, and my family complains when it is not done right.

salty wambsgans 07-01-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 600194)
so did yall only go snapper fishing when the plan was a tuna trip?

Yeah all we caught was snapper we didn't even get to blue water. He spent about three hours cast netting for bait then we went to some close rigs.

meaux fishing 07-01-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty wambsgans (Post 600227)
Yeah all we caught was snapper we didn't even get to blue water. He spent about three hours cast netting for bait then we went to some close rigs.

thats a bunch of crap

Finfeatherfur 07-01-2013 09:50 AM

3 hours of cast netting for live bait when tuna are in live bait months sounds like a captain trying his arse off for his client. Not saying you didn't have a bad trip, but I will wait until I have both sides to the story on this one.

meaux fishing 07-01-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur (Post 600241)
3 hours of cast netting for live bait when tuna are in live bait months sounds like a captain trying his arse off for his client. Not saying you didn't have a bad trip, but I will wait until I have both sides to the story on this one.

no doubt.. It is fishing but you could at least go try to find a grass line and pull some baits, have some pogies to fish for mangroves, try for some grouper, etc. Not just go to the near rigs catch your limit of snapper and take it to the house

Spunt Drag 07-01-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 600244)
no doubt.. It is fishing but you could at least go try to find a grass line and pull some baits, have some pogies to fish for mangroves, try for some grouper, etc. Not just go to the near rigs catch your limit of snapper and take it to the house

X2 if this sports story is true, I'm siding with him.

fishinpox 07-01-2013 10:28 AM

i saw him at cypress cove thursday night offloadng tuna, snapper, mahi ... not sure what happened from then untill saturday except the weather sucked saturday, i fished venice and had to run in around 10 am because of the weather ..we caught a bunch of snapper, kings,amberjack ect

meaux fishing 07-01-2013 10:39 AM

Sounds to me like lack of communication on the Capt's part. He is in a service industry and communication is key to maintaining happy customers

salty wambsgans 07-01-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 600257)
i saw him at cypress cove thursday night offloadng tuna, snapper, mahi ... not sure what happened from then untill saturday except the weather sucked saturday, i fished venice and had to run in around 10 am because of the weather ..we caught a bunch of snapper, kings,amberjack ect

He didn't fish Thursday his motors were down we fished Friday.

bgizzle 07-01-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty wambsgans (Post 600317)

Lol... Sound like he lied n he got ratted out just now.

T-TOP 07-01-2013 01:22 PM

Most of the time our Tuna bait Is caught with sabikis. Did he try and catch bait or just cast net?

swampman46 07-01-2013 04:08 PM

What is a paying client suppose to do while the captain is casting for 3 hours for bait? That's insane.

Goooh 07-01-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 600395)
What is a paying client suppose to do while the captain is casting for 3 hours for bait? That's insane.

I'd be running my mawt

salty wambsgans 07-01-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-TOP (Post 600339)
Most of the time our Tuna bait Is caught with sabikis. Did he try and catch bait or just cast net?

He tried the sabiki once and got two hering

Top Dawg 07-01-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 600397)
I'd be running my mawt

Lol

Mako19 07-01-2013 05:38 PM

I have been tuna fishing with 2 different captains and was never asked how I wanted my fish cleaned. They were always left on the half shell and that left us with a little work when we got home but it is nice so that we can clearly identify what type of fish each filet is. It didnt bother us.

We have caught more fish on some charters than others but I have never got off a charter trip with the feeling that the captain did not do everything that he could to fill the fish box.

I also never got done with a trip and had any extra energy. The captains know that it is their job to wear the crew out until they dont wanna catch anymore fish.

fishinpox 07-01-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty wambsgans (Post 600317)

Maybe I'm confused? Does he run a cat? Possibly looked aluminum ?

meaux fishing 07-01-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 600581)
Maybe I'm confused? Does he run a cat? Possibly looked aluminum ?

Yeah he runs a 33 freeman I think...