SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1st responder (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40855)

Jordan 01-30-2013 11:05 AM

1st responder

Was thinking about becoming a 1st responder. Anyone know the requirements or what it takes to become one ? My dad is an EMT-P and I always see accidents and stop to help. This past Sunday a lady locked her car up to miss a deer and flipped 6-8 times. I got out to help and the trooper actually got onto me for stopping and helping because I had no certification. Im the kind of person who likes to help anyone who needs it and I think being a 1st responder would be for me. Any help from anyone is appreciated on what to expect, etc. Blood, gore doesnt bother me.

jdm4x43732 01-30-2013 11:25 AM

We get certified for work and they tell you not to help anyone without getting their permission first. Can set yourself up for a lawsuit. Best bet would be to join volunteer fire dept where they would take care of getting you certified.

Jordan 01-30-2013 11:27 AM

Thanks for the help.

SaltERedneck 01-30-2013 11:32 AM

If i am not mistaken.... the Good Summaritan Law protects people from such lawsuits. Alot of people are misinformed and therefore are hesitant to help.

jdm4x43732 01-30-2013 11:33 AM

Yeah I don't know the law, just repeating what instructor told us. Don't take it as gospel.

jchief 01-30-2013 11:36 AM

Good Samaritan protects those without training. If you have training it is a different standard.

First responder is a broad term Jordan. Best bet is to join a volunteer FD. That is probably the only way you will get any training.

If you have specific questions, post them and I will answer them.

Jcredeur 01-30-2013 11:36 AM

You could definitely join up with a local volunteer department. That way they would more than likely cover the expense of the class. I believe the first responder class is around a 58hr class and the next step up is Basic EMT which is around 150hrs.
The problem with acting without a certification these days is opening yourself up for the lawsuits. Louisiana has the Good Samaritan Laws which protect people who are trying to help in the event of an emergency but I believe it is real limited in what it will protect you from.
Even once you do get certified you must still act within your scope of practice. This means you are still limited to certain things when giving help. It's a great thing t get into I have been certified both first respo see an EMT for the better part of ten years now.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

jchief 01-30-2013 11:37 AM

Johnny you are correct. You must identify yourself and ask for their permission to treat them.

jchief 01-30-2013 11:40 AM

Just reread your post. You are talking about medical first responder. The only way you can get the training is to be a member of a FD, rescue squad, etc.

The base is covered by full time FD. Mike Kuk was the Chief there. He is familiar with volunteers, but I think he may have just retired. If he is there, go talk to him and tell him I told you to.

BIG-C 01-30-2013 11:41 AM

Don't know how old u r but if you like that kind of work try applying to a career fire dept,one that has paid firemen,ambulances etc.I've been in the fire service for 19 years and it's the best.You can help people and make a living at the same time.

jdm4x43732 01-30-2013 11:46 AM

Yeah Jude I am only "medic / first aid certified" whatever that means. Check for a pulse and do CPR or stop bleeding. Not much else. With all the blood borne stuff these days I don't know if I could work on a stranger. You guys who are full timers have my respect.

Jordan 01-30-2013 11:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This is the situation. A deer ran out in front of a lady about 60 yard in front of me. She locked up the brakes and flipped like a nascar driver. Lady was wearing seatbelt. I stopped and got knife and 1st aid bag (that my dad put together for me; bandages, tape, scissors, flares, 4x4's, etc) and ran to help. Lady was trapped in the seatbelt and I asked her if she needed help. Lady was in a "daze" and I was just fixing to cut the seatbelt and she got out of it. She pulled herself out of the passenger side broken window because the car was laying on its side. She got out and I put a blanket over her because she said she was cold. Lady had an open compound fracture (Bone sticking out? ) of her right arm and glass/road rash on her face. The trooper arrived 35 minutes later and got onto me for helping and threatened to write me a ticket for hindering an investigation. He told me he could arrest me for something else. I told him I was just helping.

Jordan 01-30-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG-C (Post 542782)
Don't know how old u r but if you like that kind of work try applying to a career fire dept,one that has paid firemen,ambulances etc.I've been in the fire service for 19 years and it's the best.You can help people and make a living at the same time.

im 27; not looking for a career change, but i live on a dangerous rd and sometimes find myself in situations on where I feel the need to help.

SaltERedneck 01-30-2013 11:59 AM

Had the case been serious they would possibly be investigating a death instead of a crash!!! Good for you Jordan. stand up for what you think is right.

weedeater 01-30-2013 12:05 PM

Good job helping out because there's a lot of people that wouldn't have even stopped and as far as cop goes I would report him for being a *****.... I know that wouldn't do anything but then again cops like that give them all bad names

Jordan 01-30-2013 12:16 PM

I was nice to the trooper and said "next time, it might be someone in your immediate family and I won't stop to help because you told me not to".

Matt G 01-30-2013 12:19 PM

I would join a VFD and get the certs from them.... Been a local VFD member for the last 8 years, and it's one of the best things I've every done in my life!! Makes you chest stick out a little after you've helped somebody. Just don't take any classes with JCredeur....... Dude sucks a fat one :p !!!!!!!J/J

Backwards Kid's Mom 01-30-2013 12:32 PM

First of all, he can't arrest you for rendering aid at the scene of an accident when no one else is there. Secondly, the Good Samaritan Law protects you as long as you don't treat someone outside of your training level. Ex. If you go McGyver on someone and try to give them a tracheotomy with a straw. Covering someone with a blanket and monitoring someone who was most likely in shock was well within your rights Jordan and GOOD FOR YOU for stopping!!

Jordan 01-30-2013 12:36 PM

Kinda worried cause I had a flexible splint I put against her arm and lightly taped her arm to splint to stabilize it. Emts that arrived on scene said I did an awesome job and gave me some free supplies like a new pair of scissors, splints, more tape. New 4x4's,etc

Backwards Kid's Mom 01-30-2013 12:53 PM

That is basic first aid and you did good Pookie, don't let that jerk worry you!