SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can't Catch a Break! (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42605)

Finfeatherfur 04-01-2013 10:58 AM

Can't Catch a Break!

:pissed: After a terrible start to our season in MS, I got off of work this week (starting Wed) to head out with my youngest in what will be our 3rd year of trying to get his first turkey. Forecast for our week off of school and work - Wednesday 90% rain/Thursday 60% rain- Friday hard wind.......

The story of my life!!!

Salty 04-01-2013 12:27 PM

If that forecast holds true they'll be in the fields. Ain't gonna stay in the woods with all that noise and movement. Tough hunting.

wtretrievers 04-01-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 565946)
If that forecast holds true they'll be in the fields. Ain't gonna stay in the woods with all that noise and movement. Tough hunting.

Exactly!!!! Check the food plots!!!

Spunt Drag 04-01-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur (Post 565902)
:pissed: After a terrible start to our season in MS, I got off of work this week (starting Wed) to head out with my youngest in what will be our 3rd year of trying to get his first turkey. Forecast for our week off of school and work - Wednesday 90% rain/Thursday 60% rain- Friday hard wind.......

The story of my life!!!

Don't feel bad. I just took someone to try and get their first turkey this morning and didn't even hear a gobble. Perfect conditions and hens everywhere but the Tom's were scarce. Good luck this week.

Finfeatherfur 04-01-2013 01:12 PM

Thanks - Already have the plots staked out with cameras from last weekend, but of course they have been in the bottoms. Hopefully, I will hit it right and pick the right ones!

Nickt87 04-01-2013 01:56 PM

I'll tell you like my mama always told me, "If you only listen to the weather man, you'll never go outside." Plan the trip and if the time comes and the weather doesn't permit than find something else to do, your boy will be happy either way.

specktator 04-01-2013 05:24 PM

I killed a nice bird behind my camp 2 years ago. Woke up and it was 35 degrees and the wind was blowing 10-20mph out the north. I almost didn't even go. Heard a lot of gobblers and found a hot one. Flew down and came right in. It was picture perfect. I do hate hunting in the wind though. But you gotta go to know. I know I wish I could be turkey hunting half the week regardless of the weather! Good luck!

Salty 04-01-2013 08:34 PM

There are gobblers that wanna die on a certain day and they do stupid stuff they wouldn't normally do to get it done. For a hunter, tho, those seem few and far between.

The problem with high winds, especially in the hills of central Mississippi, a gobble is next to impossible to course. The gobbler turns around on the limb and gobbles away from you and he sounds 4 ridges away instead of possibly only one. Even close-in gobbles get blown by the wind and seem farther away. I've ran tons of birds off the roost because I thought they were farther away. Now, the rain...I don't mind at all. You just have to adjust your plan because they will be hangin' out in the open instead of the woods because of the movement caused by the rain. Relying on their sight, a gobbler ain't stayin' in all that. Too paranoid to begin with.