SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Duck Blind Info (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68150)

swglenn 02-09-2018 11:07 AM

Duck Blind Info

Mostly I have duck hunted in the marsh where there is deeper water and, if you are lucky, grasses for the ducks to feed on all season.

Now I am looking at a rice field blind. I can understand that early in the year there is residual rice that the ducks can feed on. But later in the season why do ducks fly into what looks like a muddy hole 8-10" deep?

What keeps ducks coming into your decoy spread all season?

Dose every rice field blind kill 180 teal and 300 ducks when it is being leased and you have the only bad season in the last 10 years when you lease it??

Reefman 02-09-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swglenn (Post 832150)

What keeps ducks coming into your decoy spread all season?

When the farmer cuts his second crop, have them load the rice carts right in front of your blind. Over filling and spillage of rice cannot be avoided. After harvest do a light plow covering that accidently spilled rice. Flood 2 days before season (1 day before would be better). Water buffalo 2 weeks into the season and repeat 1 day before second split. It's important to bury that seed and make ducks work a little to get at it. If you just flood over that rice and not plow the ducks/geese will eat you out in 3 days.

Feesherman 02-09-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefman (Post 832152)
When the farmer cuts his second crop, have them load the rice carts right in front of your blind. Over filling and spillage of rice cannot be avoided. After harvest do a light plow covering that accidently spilled rice. Flood 2 days before season (1 day before would be better). Water buffalo 2 weeks into the season and repeat 1 day before second split. It's important to bury that seed and make ducks work a little to get at it. If you just flood over that rice and not plow the ducks/geese will eat you out in 3 days.

But before you do this, read up on what constitutes baiting and crop manipulation. Merely a suggestion

specksNdaSURF 02-09-2018 12:56 PM

Its all about being on the X and that goes for marsh and rice field hunting. Just bc you have rice and in a good flyway doesnt always equal ducks. Louisiana duck hunting has gotten very spotty over the years and its Feast or Famine just about everywhere rice or marsh hunting but esp rice fields.

Reefman 02-09-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 832153)
But before you do this, read up on what constitutes baiting and crop manipulation. Merely a suggestion

LOL.....I agree 100%

all star rod 02-10-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specksNdaSURF (Post 832154)
Its all about being on the X and that goes for marsh and rice field hunting. Just bc you have rice and in a good flyway doesnt always equal ducks. Louisiana duck hunting has gotten very spotty over the years and its Feast or Famine just about everywhere rice or marsh hunting but esp rice fields.

THIS X 10....^^^^^^^^^^^^

My rice field lease SW of Kaplan there is a blind about 250 - 300 yards North of me on different lease. Rice or not they do not shoot near the ducks we shoot on my lease. I do not know what it is but it has been that way since I started hunting my lease in 2008. That farmer pretty much has a new hunter (sucker) every year....LOL

Even the lease I am on (2 blinds) my blind is usually the best of the two year in and year out.

swglenn 02-10-2018 10:00 AM

Long story short, we didn't get the lease. Our buddy that looked at the lease took a friend's father who had a lot of experience in the rice fields to help evaluate it. The old man liked it so much he leased it before we could get together. I don't blame the guy leasing the field.

Needless to say you can guess my thoughts on how I hope the old man does on the lease next year!

Dogface 02-10-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swglenn (Post 832171)
Long story short, we didn't get the lease. Our buddy that looked at the lease took a friend's father who had a lot of experience in the rice fields to help evaluate it. The old man liked it so much he leased it before we could get together. I don't blame the guy leasing the field.

Needless to say you can guess my thoughts on how I hope the old man does on the lease next year!

Too bad. Sorry for you. Duck leases have gotten to be very cut throat!! Everyone wants one and will do almost anything to get it.

Duck Butter 02-11-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swglenn (Post 832171)

Probably saved you a lot of money. If a rice blind comes available it's probably a garhole. If it's a good spot, people don't give them up

Also, looking at a blind in February doesn't really give a good picture
of what to expect during the season. Ducks aren't getting shot at and start appearing in places they wouldn't be seen during the season

Matt G 02-11-2018 12:01 PM

I’m at the point to where I’ll take the money I put on a lease and just make several guided hunts throughout the year. It’s great to have your own place, but sucks when you aren’t anywhere near the “X” mentioned above.

meaux fishing 02-11-2018 06:57 PM

Ask the farmer why the people got out or if you can have the last people's phone number and talk to them. If it's seems too good to be true it probably is.

perchman 02-19-2018 12:08 PM

Yep if it’s up for lease it’s probably a beautiful mud hole with out any ducks!