SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conservationist's Corner (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Coastal Erosion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6568)

Raymond 01-04-2010 04:19 PM

Coastal Erosion

Some on here might remember that last year I tried to get participation in the Calcasieu parish Christmas tree program to help with Coastal Erosion. Last year I had to jump through Hoops to get any information and the schedule was difficult for many to participate. I just recieved an email from the parish point man informing me that the parish would no longer be particiating and the state was dropping out next year. My question to ya'll is, if the parish and state does not care, who is going to pick up the ball and atleast try to mitigate the damage???? There was very little resources put forth by the parish last year and I was extremely dissapointed in that effort. Am I the only one who is scratching my head???

Ray 01-04-2010 04:26 PM

Last year they piled them all up at Prien Lake launch and left them there for about 3 months. I don't know what the heck they finally did with them.

huntin fool 01-04-2010 04:30 PM

If they doo that again this year, and not using them, im taking some and stockin bream holes

Raymond 01-04-2010 04:32 PM

North Prien Lake launch is again the designated drop off area for Christmas trees this year.

Mediumheavyaction6'6 01-04-2010 04:33 PM

coastal conservation, erosion, restoration all make good talking points. when it comes down to it most people do just that, talk. Now, that I am part of a group who are trying to get funding and cooperation from local, state, and federal governments i see just how little is being done. it seems that everyone in this state is scared of change and they don't want to go around messing things up (in their opinion). I have met a few people from terrebonne and lafouche parishes as well as cameron and calcasieu that want to help but that is where most of the concern ends.

LaAngler 01-04-2010 04:36 PM

what parts of the calcasieu estuary are being hurt by erosion?

I would think the concern would be down in cameron areas, if the storms wash that highway away the gulf will come to hackberry

Ray 01-04-2010 04:41 PM

They had CHristmas trees all around Prien Lake a few years ago.
They used a bunch of them on the old Amoco property in Hackberry too.
All you see left are the wood braces that held them.
I am not sure if the trees can help the coast and beaches with all the waves
we have down there in the summer time. The South winds sometimes blow
over the road between Holly Beach and J.B. before they pumped sand in that
area.

Shawn Braquet 01-04-2010 04:54 PM

they will need to pump sand here again soon in some spots as the water line is not far from the road at some spots on 82

SULPHITE 01-04-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

they will need to pump sand here again soon in some spots as the water line is not far from the road at some spots on 82
Noticed that the other day headed west from the ferry...

Country Boy 01-04-2010 05:15 PM

there is a pile of christmas tree's at the prien lake launch right now.

SULPHITE 01-04-2010 05:25 PM

R little,

we showed up to help run the trees to the barrier, but it was very windy and most of the boats wouldn't survive the ride...not a very tight kept operation if you ask me, If they had someone that could put out the word better and gather more support it would be beneficial

yak'em-n-stack'em 01-04-2010 06:15 PM

Maybe one day ill be at the top of the food chain and get something done lol

speck-chaser 01-04-2010 09:42 PM

Im sure mary Landreiu will help out with that big bonus she got from the gov.:shaking::shaking::rotfl: I sold christmas trees for a few years at my nursery. I donated all of the ones I had left to the coastal project. Probably about 300 trees in 2 yrs. Needless to say,we dont do christmas trees anymore. Never heard much imput as to wether or not this was actually helping out the coast. I know when they put the big rock barriers,that helps out alot. It has been working really well at racoon pt. in Dularge.

Shawn Braquet 01-05-2010 12:08 AM

R little are they hauling again this year? I wanted to volunteer last year but I think I had to work. I would be interested in volunteering this year if they do it again.