SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hog Bayou and Fearman Lake (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60572)

revspiggles 06-30-2015 09:50 AM

Hog Bayou and Fearman Lake

Went out Sunday to finally check it out..Went out of Intracostal... Found both weirs. nothing but shad, baby specs/white trout and some mullet. Not a single shrimp. Went into Fearman Lake from the camp side and almost got stuck. Mid falling tide..fished the canals, redfish point and those cuts.

Water is so fresh...Saw some massive alligator gars (5-7 feet) and some big ole 10plus foot gators in that marsh.

We threw everything...just 2. Alot of shad activity....

Any thoughts on getting through those areas (canals through the smaller lakes etc) , let me know. Dont want to get stuck again.

biggun 06-30-2015 10:26 AM

U got to stay on the stakes thru the lake..U may have been there at low tide...

Quackhead62 06-30-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revspiggles (Post 761409)
Went out Sunday to finally check it out..Went out of Intracostal... Found both weirs. nothing but shad, baby specs/white trout and some mullet. Not a single shrimp. Went into Fearman Lake from the camp side and almost got stuck. Mid falling tide..fished the canals, redfish point and those cuts.

Water is so fresh...Saw some massive alligator gars (5-7 feet) and some big ole 10plus foot gators in that marsh.

Any thoughts on getting through those areas (canals through the smaller lakes etc) , let me know. Dont want to get stuck again.

What type of boat are you running? I've been fishing that area since I was small. Feerman does get tricky on a low or falling tide. Idk if you noticed the poles in the middle of Lake Feerman that is the so called channel if you stay around those poles you should be ok to cut accrose the lake to get to south lake. You shouldn't have much problems on a high tide just may kick up a lil mud when heading the the banks to fish. Hog bayou is the same deal there are some PVC poles that make the outline of the reef you have to swing wide going into the canal to get to the weir you want those poles on your right side going into the canal. Don't want to run to close to the bank for sure when getting too close to Hog Bayou it shallows up quick espically on a low tide or a falling tide.

Bson 06-30-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revspiggles (Post 761409)

There are 3 cuts going into the lake. You need to use the most southwest one, closest to the south lake weir. Sometimes the middle one is passable, the northern most is never passable unless you are in a mud boat or tunnel hull. The shallowest spot is the first 100 yards of the lake.

revspiggles 06-30-2015 02:49 PM

Thanks guys. I took the second cut. It was on a falling tide about midway through...I have an old 17ft whaler and had 3 in it. We were in about 7 inches of water it seemed. Normally I can get ina round a ft..even less than that. I put the 2 guys on the front and worked it out. Thanks for the directions..

Dogface 06-30-2015 05:33 PM

Is there any area in the lake that consistently produces reds? I have tried mostly the little bay side several times with no luck. Didn't know if the lake was ever good.

Quackhead62 06-30-2015 05:34 PM

Yep have caught plenty in and around Lake Feerman. Just have to beat the banks and have to play the tides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogface 06-30-2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackhead62 (Post 761525)
Yep have caught plenty in and around Lake Feerman. Just have to beat the banks and have to play the tides.

Thanks!!

Quackhead62 06-30-2015 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 90357 these 10 came out of there last summer.

netmkr 06-30-2015 06:48 PM

if you see a bald headed guy in a skiff with a 90 follow him
he fishes that area 9months out the year

Dogface 06-30-2015 09:16 PM

Nice catch and I will be looking for that skiff.....LOL

Dogface 07-01-2015 07:10 AM

Can you fish the bank around the entire lake on a normal (not low) tide? I have a 18ft alum boat. Just wondering if there is any area or side of the lake I should avoide. I'm way to old to get out and push. LOL

Quackhead62 07-01-2015 07:14 AM

You sure can on a incoming to high tide. Pin point grassy area on banks and cuts and points in the marsh. You might have to idle away from the bank to go to another spot to fish because the edges are a little shallow in places

shellman 07-01-2015 08:47 AM

Fearman

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackhead62 (Post 761614)
You sure can on a incoming to high tide. Pin point grassy area on banks and cuts and points in the marsh. You might have to idle away from the bank to go to another spot to fish because the edges are a little shallow in places

Always better on incoming tide and less chance of getting stuck on top mud flats. Fish the grass beds on north side.

ahlangle 07-01-2015 10:05 AM

Assuming these routes have you coming into fearman from E, is the run from ICY, 4mi cutoff, around Redfish point shallow/problematic?

Quackhead62 07-01-2015 10:22 AM

No with that route you shouldn't have to worry about shallow water until you hit the mouth of Lake Feerman by the South Lake Weir. I normaly use the Old Vermilion that runs on the side of the take battery around Little White Lake. That route might cause you some issues on a low tide if you aren't use to running the Old Vermilion route.

Dogface 07-01-2015 01:14 PM

Thanks guys. I have only fished the bank in the area of the lake entrance from little bay. Will try other areas next time I go. I was always afraid to get stuck to venture too far out into the other areas. Thanks again.

netmkr 07-02-2015 08:46 AM

good luck following that skiff :grinpimp:

LSUlefty 07-02-2015 09:11 AM

anyone have a link to check Low/High Tide in that area?

biggun 07-02-2015 03:34 PM

The Weeks Bay is pretty close..