SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rockefeller Marshes/Superior Canal??? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18222)

cmp7334 05-03-2011 08:21 PM

Rockefeller Marshes/Superior Canal???

Does anybody have any advice on fishing the marshes of Rockefeller Refuge for redfish? By looking at maps, I can see that you can get into some tidal marsh off of the Superior canal.
Any advice for fishing reds in the marsh in this area would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Gerald 05-03-2011 08:37 PM

Remember...... if you go back in a marsh...... watch the tide, if it drops you could get stuck.

Montauk17 05-03-2011 08:38 PM

Not many people want to share info.....

cmp7334 05-03-2011 09:05 PM

I think I may go exploring this weekend, and I will report back to Anyone who wants what I have to offer. Running a 14 ft tunnel flat so hoping I can get just about anywhere.

meaux fishing 05-03-2011 10:44 PM

Ive gone off the superior canal a few times... It can get pretty shallow in some of those cuts. I've only been south of the road cause I'm not sure what the regulations are for fishing the Miami Corp marsh north of the road. I've caught a few reds in there but I was kinda limited cause I was in a bay boat

Duck Butter 05-04-2011 08:05 AM

Fish the rocks, fish the rocks, fish the rocks, fish the rocks.......

Don't even crank your motor:smokin:

saltysully 05-04-2011 09:22 PM

Where is the boat launch for superior canal? Is that the rollover launch?

Montauk17 05-04-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltysully (Post 250058)
Where is the boat launch for superior canal? Is that the rollover launch?

Rollover is in pecan island,that area is not part of the refuge. To access the superior canal you will need to launch in josephs harbor at the refuge. Make sure you do not launch untill legal sunrise or you will get a ticket.

saltysully 05-05-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 250123)
Rollover is in pecan island,that area is not part of the refuge. To access the superior canal you will need to launch in josephs harbor at the refuge. Make sure you do not launch untill legal sunrise or you will get a ticket.

How do you get to superior canal from the joseph's harbor launch? Which canal do you take to get there?
thanks...salt

speckdaddy 05-05-2011 08:03 AM

Man just pm me. Dats my ol stompin ground

kenmore_mo 05-05-2011 08:21 AM

Check that montauk17, the ONLY part of rollover bayou that is not in the refuge, is the main canal southward until the first curve. Afterwards, everthing accessible in rollover bayou is the Refuge. look at the upper right corner and find private boat launch (rollover)http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d...ler_Refuge.pdf
merci

Gasper Master 05-05-2011 11:43 AM

to get to the Superior Canal, launch at Joseph's Harbor on the East side of the canal by the lock. Take that canal East all the way to the Superior.

saltysully 05-05-2011 10:13 PM

Thanks for the directions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasper Master (Post 250304)
to get to the Superior Canal, launch at Joseph's Harbor on the East side of the canal by the lock. Take that canal East all the way to the Superior.

Got it... Thats the only canals I haven't been down at rockefeller..I've gone to all the others, but not that one. Thanks for the advice. salt

cmp7334 05-08-2011 09:36 PM

Went down to Rockefeller on Saturday. Plenty of Shrimp running at the mud hole about 25 count. Caught some crabs too.
Only caught one red and the water was really muddy... One person I talked to caught fish and they were fishing the bertrand canal.

cmp7334 05-08-2011 09:37 PM

Anybody know anything about fishing the Bertrand Canal??

Gerald 05-09-2011 01:01 AM

I saw a home video shot from the north end of Bertrand canal, just south of the structure that crosses the canal. They were catching nice size Reds.

Only fished it once in a few spots with no luck.

hankscke123 05-09-2011 08:00 AM

you can also launch at gary cross grand lake and run superior canal their plus if you want crabs and reds you dont half to go far depends on what type of boat because grand lake can become brutal.

Montauk17 05-09-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hankscke123 (Post 251593)
you can also launch at gary cross grand lake and run superior canal their plus if you want crabs and reds you dont half to go far depends on what type of boat because grand lake can become brutal.

I thought that is miami corp property?

cmp7334 05-09-2011 04:53 PM

It is miami corp property. Almost certain you need a permit to cross.

Marshrat 05-09-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmp7334 (Post 251815)
It is miami corp property. Almost certain you need a permit to cross.

Grand Lake is public and you can fish any part of the lake. If you go into the canals anywhere on the lake, except the Old Intercoastal, they are on Miami Corp property. The permit gives you access to fish with a rod and reel only, no crabbing on Miami property is allowed, and a maximum horsepower of 25. If you want to go to Rockefeller Refuge, you will need to trailer your boat to Grand Chenier and launch on the refuge. I know of one man that is having trespassing charges on him for going to Rockefeller through Miami property.

Warren