SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   RIP ol Girl (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67906)

Josh C 11-28-2017 10:50 AM

RIP ol Girl

4 Attachment(s)
As a dog owner, you know these days will come, buy you are never truly prepared for them! Yesterday was a hard day for the family as we had to lay to rest one of our labs, Millie. Millie and I had a long and winding road over the last 10 or so years. As a puppy, she was everything we wanted for the kids and I. I tend to like smaller labs instead of the big block head over weight ones!! As she finished up with her training, I took take her on her first duck hunting trip, when a shot would go off, she would go hide behind the blind and lay down!! That's not a good trait for a hunting lab. This went on for the first season and I tried everything at home to break her gun shyness to no avail. I finally had enough and told my wife I was going to sale her and buy a new lab. I put her up for sale on the internet and had a few people interested.

It was Sunday afternoon towards the end of the season when a nice cold front was passing, so I told my wife I was going to give it one more try with her on an afternoon hunt! I swear she knew I had her up for sale, as for some reason, that hunt it all clicked for her and she could care less about the gun noise and actually started watching my gun in anticipation of it going off! That hunt was the start of many many more great memories between her and I.

Attached are the pics of her last hunt 2 years ago as I retired after that hunt.
It was too hard on her body.

RIP Millie. You will be greatly missed.:cry:

Bluechip 11-28-2017 12:59 PM

Sorry for the loss..... it?s never easy losing a family pet / hunting partner.

ckinchen 11-28-2017 01:30 PM

Very sorry for your loss, thanks for sharing.

Flex 11-28-2017 08:48 PM

With the gray looks like my old girl. Sorry for your loss brother. Hopefully mine keeps going a lot longer I don't think I'm close to ready yet!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

meat killer 86 11-28-2017 09:07 PM

Sorry for your loss. I know the feeling of losing a dog. Well not only a dog but a hunting buddy, a companion and a family friend and best friend. They always love you. No matter what. The memories and her spirit will live forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marshmellow 11-28-2017 09:18 PM

Great looking dog, her confirmation was spot on!
Very sorry for your loss.

I've got a 12.5 year old chocolate making her last dove season by the hardest, I know my heart ache from her passing is near.

Josh C 11-28-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat killer 86 (Post 829243)
Sorry for your loss. I know the feeling of losing a dog. Well not only a dog but a hunting buddy, a companion and a family friend and best friend. They always love you. No matter what. The memories and her spirit will live forever.

They sure love you no matter what! I think that's what draws me to Labs so much. Always willing to please.

Ilovestohunt 11-29-2017 01:14 AM

Man so sorry,but glad you have memories!! Gotta love them dogs!! RIP!!

DeeCee 11-29-2017 08:35 AM

Sorry to hear. I've been there more times than I want to think about.

Nickt87 11-29-2017 09:11 AM

Sorry to hear.

My ole girl turns 7 this Saturday and I was considering not hunting bc the lack of wind. But I guess she’s only got a limited amount of Bdays in the marsh remaining, so hunting we will go.

Dogface 11-29-2017 01:32 PM

Sorry! I know the feeling. They become one of the family.

Broke Down 11-30-2017 12:02 AM

Sorry for your loss, good looking lab. It is tough, like losing family.

duckman1911 11-30-2017 09:03 PM

Man that sucks. As said many times before it really hurts to loose a close friend. I know you'll never replace her but I hope your new friend is just as loyal.

jpeff31787 12-01-2017 03:54 PM

sorry for the loss man... I have a cat that is starting to get old, and I am not ready for the day at all.. she's been my little homie for a while now

Gerenemo 12-07-2017 01:11 PM

My heart felt sorrow for you!!!

I know how you feel. As a duck hunter of 46 years I have been through what you are going thru now several times and it is never easy. It always took me some time to get over it and get another dog to fill that void. It does not get any easier, no matter how many times you have experience it. They are so much more than dogs to us. The love and loyalty is unmatched by any human being. I once saw this quote from a dogs perspective.

"I won't be your best friend for the rest of your life, because I don't live that long, but I will be your best friend for the rest of my life"

I know your life was richer because of her. Her life was complete because of you. I am sorrowed by your loss. It brings back the memories of all my 4 legged friends (hunters and lap dogs) and knowing I will again have to endure this pain again in the future. Sincerely, Jeff

hugedogleg 12-27-2017 12:26 AM

She was a beauty. Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

C-Bass2mouth 12-27-2017 11:10 AM

"Dogs' lives are too short... Their only fault, really."

Sorry for your loss brother.