SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Metal roofs (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38155)

Big Flounder 11-09-2012 06:57 PM

Metal roofs

Does any body have a metal roof? I am about to start building and the guy at the lumber yard I am getting my quote from told my wife today that you have to change the screws out about every 5 years. I have a metal roof in my plans and he is trying to talk us into shingles and he even sells the metal. I have never heard that before.

budndawn 11-09-2012 07:58 PM

My roof is 9 years old and just washed it and inspected screws. All the rubber washers are still in good shape. When installing it I made sure to use good 3/8" head screws and not over torque screws to blow out the washers.

Deerfarmer 11-09-2012 08:07 PM

I have had my metal roof for about 12 years. No problems. Just don't over torque the screws, and by quality metal and screws.

bayou fishing 11-09-2012 08:09 PM

My parents build their house in 95 . They have not had any trouble with their metal roof.

jldsc 11-09-2012 08:15 PM

i have a metal roof with the same screws about 15 years old and just started having problems with some of the screws..the screws are the most important part..spend the extra money and get quality screws that the cap of the screw covers the entire rubber not just the lil washer type that the rubber can squeeze out of..

oldwelder 11-09-2012 08:22 PM

metal roof

I put mine on the April before Rita. Had no damage from rita except where the trampoline hit it. I used screws long enough to go thru the 1x4 the shingles and the plywood, the screws stick out inside of the attic about 1/4' . Also the screws have the cup type head where the rubber washer can't be squashed out.The only thing is it really interfers with raido reception.

Big Flounder 11-09-2012 09:21 PM

So I guess there is some maintenance to it I wasn't aware of. We don't have a tree within 200 yards of where we are building and I know if I go with shingles I'll be replacing shingles every hurricane. I'm about to age 30 years in 9 months trying to contract this thing myself. I originally had a verbal agreement with a builder that helped me design my house but now I am having second thoughts because I am pretty sure I can save at least $28,000 doing it my self and I will know that for sure in a few days since I have my plans scattered all over the place right now with different contractors waiting on quotes.

papap 11-09-2012 10:14 PM

Just make sure you use Zac screws. Think it's spelled right.

budndawn 11-09-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papap (Post 515444)
Just make sure you use Zac screws. Think it's spelled right.

This ^^

Andy C 11-10-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerfarmer (Post 515406)
I have had my metal roof for about 12 years. No problems. Just don't over torque the screws, and by quality metal and screws.

X 2 . Had the one here almost twelve year's no problems.

Matt G 11-10-2012 12:29 AM

I live in a complete metal building. Have not had a problem in the 5 years since I've built it and I have 3 large oak trees next to my house. I especially love it on those rainy nights. I sleep like a freaking baby with that rain hitting the roof.

Big Flounder 11-10-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 515467)
I live in a complete metal building. Have not had a problem in the 5 years since I've built it and I have 3 large oak trees next to my house. I especially love it on those rainy nights. I sleep like a freaking baby with that rain hitting the roof.

I have a friend that has a metal roof but his is only 2 years old but you can't even hear the rain on his. He is telling me that the screws he picked out have like a little cup on them that covers the washer so it is not exposed to the elements. He said they were high $$$ too.

Deerfarmer 11-10-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jldsc (Post 515408)
i have a metal roof with the same screws about 15 years old and just started having problems with some of the screws..the screws are the most important part..spend the extra money and get quality screws that the cap of the screw covers the entire rubber not just the lil washer type that the rubber can squeeze out of..

Be sure and get these. They cost more, but are worth every penny.

Marshrat 11-11-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jldsc (Post 515408)

What he said about the screws. I have a metal roof and for Rita my wife was worried about the winds tearing the roof off. We lost some soffit but that was it. Our house is a little over 7 years old now and still no problems.

Warren

Big Flounder 11-11-2012 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now they are telling me that my metal roof will cost me a fortune cause my roof is so chopped up in the plans. The top view looks crazy.Attachment 42669

budndawn 11-11-2012 09:46 PM

That is pretty chopped up for a metal roof.

Bluechip 11-11-2012 09:52 PM

You going to pay for that roof regardless of metal or shingles.

budndawn 11-11-2012 10:02 PM

I built houses for a bunch of years and no way I would recommend a metal roof on that house. Too many valleys to flash and maintenance is going to be a nightmare at those pitches. Just my opinion.

Big Flounder 11-11-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budndawn (Post 516186)
I built houses for a bunch of years and no way I would recommend a metal roof on that house. Too many valleys to flash and maintenance is going to be a nightmare at those pitches. Just my opinion.

That's what I was told by another builder I just got a quote from. Might have to consider the shingles.

Ray 11-12-2012 12:34 PM

My dad had a building in Cameron that was built in the late 70's with a metal roof. No issues, until Rita hit.
The metal was heavier than the metal they use now. I guess the screws were better too.