SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Catching BL Trout on 6-14-10 (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11331)

Gerald 06-15-2010 04:41 PM

Catching BL Trout on 6-14-10

2 Attachment(s)
Went to Big Lake Monday for a late afternoon trip. The temperature was 96 F but the winds had been ok [> 10 mph] all morning on the computer, so I was looking forward to a good trip. But like usual the Wind Gods had other ideas and the winds were up near 15 mph out of the south when I got to Hebert’s at 5 PM. The lake was a little ruff, but I was not going to let that slow me down.

After I launched my boat, a young guy in his big bay boat asked if I wanted to join him. We talked for just a minute, while I thought about his offer. If I had not already had my boat in the water, I might have gone with him. After I got out on the water and was bouncing in the 1+ foot waves……..I really questioned my decision to go in my 15’ boat.

The reports from the day before said the water was “chocolate milk” due to the wind blowing 15 to 20 mph for a couple of days. Yesterday the water looked good…. ~ 12” visibility along the East bank and had a greenish color. As I headed south, I saw the guy in the bay boat had stopped along the bank……where some birds were working. I slowly [remember it is ruff going for me] passed him and got on down a little way, I saw that he cranked up and took off after only fishing a few minutes.

My plan was to go to the south bank to get out of the wind but this would take a while to get there. A couple more miles south, I saw a few gulls flying around and feeding a little. As I circled the birds, I saw another small boat coming from the other side. The birds were scattered, so there was plenty room for 2 boats.

After 20+ casts, I had not gotten a hit. Then I saw one of the men in the other boat hooked up. His “netter” looked like he need more practice….but got the job done. A few cast later I finally slung the first 14” trout in the boat using a glow / char devil eye made by Brown’s lure with a ¼ oz yellow jig head. We followed the birds for 30 minutes and both of us caught several good trout. This day……it must have been a small school of trout. I only got one strike out away from the “action” of the birds feeding. Normally, trout can be caught in a much larger area away from where the birds are feeding. The Trout were feeding on very small shrimp…….but sometimes it looked like maybe the fish were chasing class minnows or other small bait fish.

When the feeding stopped for a few minutes the other boat took off. I stayed and caught more trout for another hour in this area. I only cranked up the engine once to move a little ways. No other boat came to join me while fishing these birds. I was fishing out in the lake near where the first weir is located and caught 11 trout that were 14” to 16” in size. I lost more fish @ the boat than normal, guess I was enjoying playing and looking at them more so than trying to catching them.

I winds did slow down just a little as the sun started to go down and I saw a few schools of bait as I drifted Commissary reef. There was no visible feed action that I was looking for and got no taker…..I used the same bait all day up until the last cast when the line broke. I had planned to throw topwater….but figured it was just too windy to give it a try.

killa k 06-15-2010 04:45 PM

As always, exceptional report.

Ray 06-15-2010 04:47 PM

Gerald must be a good typer. LOL
Good report.

trophytroutman 06-15-2010 04:49 PM

nice report.

specktator 06-15-2010 04:53 PM

I find the birds have been working alot better in the evenings. Nice report.

Gerald 06-15-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 164646)
Gerald must be a good typer. LOL
Good report.

This time....I used Microsoft Office [I can't ssppeell] but then had to delete all the "[size 3]" stuff that get transfered.

I am a Slooooooow typer.

blackmamba 06-15-2010 06:34 PM

Sweet report

shellman 06-15-2010 06:45 PM

Great cattch dude...

all star rod 06-15-2010 06:47 PM

Good report......may hit it TOMORROW......

BayBolt23 06-15-2010 07:15 PM

Awsome report man!

cajunhntr03 06-15-2010 07:30 PM

nice report and good catch

speckdaddy 06-15-2010 07:36 PM

Nice report gerald. And like jordan wouldxsay. Ummmm short n sweet. Lol

ACADEMYPROSTAFFER19 06-15-2010 08:18 PM

Dealt with the exact same thing yesterday dude. Small trout under the birds, and the good ones we did catch were on the east end of the lake. Nice report !

catch.and.fillet 06-15-2010 08:40 PM

Nice catch and great report.

adamsfence 06-15-2010 08:51 PM

gerald you give one hell of a report......great report and nice catch