SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wiers Opening? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47771)

TNP 09-11-2013 08:19 PM

Wiers Opening?

I am sure everyone will tell me I full of ****, but why is this not happening other that the salinity level being too high?

PaulMyers 09-11-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNP (Post 626263)
I am sure everyone will tell me I full of ****, but why is this not happening other that the salinity level being too high?

That should be the only reason they are not open.

"W" 09-11-2013 09:26 PM

I will make a post about the weirs and importance of them for our lake but I have to finish reading the 306 page document almost most done

But weirs will not open until we get 8-10inchs of rain

The 5PPM line had over 15PPm salinity so weirs will stay closed until that gets back down to 5

By thin it will have killed off our entire shrimp hatch as the water is 3ft lower.behind gate than lake and even on low tide its still lower!!

1st freeze we have with that low water back there will destroy that whole eco system!!

Welcome to politics at its best

slickfish 09-12-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 626313)
I will make a post about the weirs and importance of them for our lake but I have to finish reading the 306 page document almost most done

The 5PPM line had over 15PPm salinity so weirs will stay closed until that gets back down to 5

By thin it will have killed off our entire shrimp hatch as the water is 3ft lower.behind gate than lake and even on low tide its still lower!!

1st freeze we have with that low water back there will destroy that whole eco system!!

Do you have any scientific data to support your statement?

noodle creek 09-12-2013 09:06 AM

This is about to get good! Should keep us entertained the rest of the day

noodle creek 09-12-2013 09:07 AM

Duck butt in 3 2 1

Top Dawg 09-12-2013 09:08 AM

The salinity is still very high in the marsh

meaux fishing 09-12-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

I think you mean PPt right? 15 PPm is pretty fresh

Duck Butter 09-12-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh hhhaaaa
hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhaaaaaaaa
hhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaa aaaaaaaaaah
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

hahahahahahahahahahaha:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::shakin g:

oh no, Big Lake is going to die, oh no! All the shrimp are going to die, none of them from the west side marsh, or coming IN from the gulf are going to get into Big Lake. Cancel all fishing trips! Hide yo wife, hide yo kids, they rapin all the shrimps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really really really need to, nevermind

TNP 09-12-2013 09:16 AM

Can someone just tell me the scientific reason behind closing them. I understand salinity levels being too high. What does that do to the marsh? Kill Widgeon grass I heard.

Top Dawg 09-12-2013 09:17 AM

Lol

Duck Butter 09-12-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNP (Post 626424)
Can someone just tell me the scientific reason behind closing them. I understand salinity levels being too high. What does that do to the marsh? Kill Widgeon grass I heard.

No no no no no! You HEARD that from W:shaking: That is one of the thousands of things he spouts off without knowing a thing about it. He is just mad:rotfl:
Widgeongrass is called Ruppia maritima, have already told W to google what 'maritime' means = it can handle salinity.

Smalls 09-12-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNP (Post 626424)

Kills all sorts of vegetation, not just widgeongrass. The Marsh is brackish, fresh in some areas. If the salinity gets too high, it will kill majority of the vegetation. I've seen it at times get to 36 ppt. Depending on who you ask, gulf strength is 32-36 ppt. Either way, that's to high for the Marsh. A lot of the high shrimp numbers historically were due to a large portion of the Marsh dieing off at one time. Shrimp and crabs feed on dead plant material. But they also use the Marsh as a breeding ground. So while some dead vegetation is good, too much is a bad thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

TNP 09-12-2013 09:43 AM

OK, Thank you for a serious answer.

Duck Butter 09-12-2013 09:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just found this :rotfl:

T-TOP 09-12-2013 09:45 AM

I was told widgeon grass grows best below 15 or 20ppt?

TNP 09-12-2013 09:49 AM

Looks like there has been a salinity level too high since early July......

http://137.227.241.93/nwisweb/data/i...130708..0..gif

Smalls 09-12-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-TOP (Post 626445)
I was told widgeon grass grows best below 15 or 20ppt?

Pretty much. Its an intermediate to brackish Marsh plant. Salinities get to high and it will die. I've seen places where salinity was too high for it, especially in 2011. Those same places had it in 2012 after we got all the rain and the system freshened up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

"W" 09-12-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 626423)
hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh hhhaaaa
hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhaaaaaaaa
hhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaa aaaaaaaaaah
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

hahahahahahahahahahaha:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::shakin g:

oh no, Big Lake is going to die, oh no! All the shrimp are going to die, none of them from the west side marsh, or coming IN from the gulf are going to get into Big Lake. Cancel all fishing trips! Hide yo wife, hide yo kids, they rapin all the shrimps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really really really need to, nevermind

U think killing off millions of shrimp, reds and trout due to freeze is healthy?

Duck Butter 09-12-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 626454)
U think killing off millions of shrimp, reds and trout due to freeze is healthy?

Last time I checked it was 95 degrees outside:shaking: a freeze? really:rotfl:

I also think that dropping a nuclear bomb and killing millions of shrimp, reds and trout is unhealthy as well and about as unlikely to happen as a freeze in September, October, or November for that matter. Last time I broke ice duck hunting in November in Louisiana was hell I can't even remember

the sky is falling, the sky is falling, the sky is falling:rotfl: Do you really think that there are no shrimp on the west side of the lake in those marshes? Do you also know that some shrimp actually move in FROM the gulf this time of year as well?