SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening & Farming Forum (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Recycled celery.... (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67645)

lil bubba 09-21-2017 09:06 AM

Recycled celery....

4 Attachment(s)
Used a head of celery for a supper I cooked for and took the root end and planted rite below the dirt so sun didn't hit it directly . Next day it was sprouted and this is a week . I guess it will grow to be another celery . Much easier than planting from seed . Rest of the garden finally coming along . Beets , turnips , zukes , cabbage , brocoli , cauliflower , shallots , tomato's ....

Cappy 09-21-2017 01:30 PM

neva tried this with celery but definitely will we do it with romaine all da time buy 2 packs of 3 romaine this time of year make salads plant the root ends dont buy more till the spring heat kills it.

lil bubba 09-21-2017 03:11 PM

Got another supper for a meeting next week . Looks like romaine gunna be on the menu....

Matt G 09-21-2017 08:29 PM

I have a 3 pack of romaine in the fridge. I'm going to have to try this.

Bubba, how are the fresh beets? I'm not a huge fan of them canned, but was curious about trying them fresh. Think it's worth using up a few squares in my garden? I'm sure someone would happily take them if I don't like it.

lil bubba 09-22-2017 06:30 AM

I much rather fresh but fresh anything always better . You can grow whats equal to a couple feet to try . Plant heavy and thin out after they come up . If you like them you can plant again in spring . I've picked them the size of golf balls to thin out . Wash and boil with leaves still on till tender .

swamp snorkler 10-18-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil bubba (Post 826489)
Used a head of celery for a supper I cooked for and took the root end and planted rite below the dirt so sun didn't hit it directly . Next day it was sprouted and this is a week . I guess it will grow to be another celery . Much easier than planting from seed . Rest of the garden finally coming along . Beets , turnips , zukes , cabbage , brocoli , cauliflower , shallots , tomato's ....

I do this with green onion tops, Plant the small part on the bottom and it continues to grow. If I'm running low in the planter I buy some more and plant them. Good to know it works on celery, I never use the whole pack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cappy (Post 826494)
neva tried this with celery but definitely will we do it with romaine all da time buy 2 packs of 3 romaine this time of year make salads plant the root ends dont buy more till the spring heat kills it.

Good to know it works with Romaine too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 826506)
I have a 3 pack of romaine in the fridge. I'm going to have to try this.

Bubba, how are the fresh beets? I'm not a huge fan of them canned, but was curious about trying them fresh. Think it's worth using up a few squares in my garden? I'm sure someone would happily take them if I don't like it.

Fresh beets boiled till tender in a little salted water and drizzled with a little vinegar are one of my favorites.

Matt G 10-18-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 827657)
Fresh beets boiled till tender in a little salted water and drizzled with a little vinegar are one of my favorites.

I ended up planting 4 squares worth at 9 per square. The first set of seeds didn't take so I had to replant. Some are starting to sprout now. I'll have to give it a shot once they are ready.

lil bubba 10-18-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 827664)
I ended up planting 4 squares worth at 9 per square. The first set of seeds didn't take so I had to replant. Some are starting to sprout now. I'll have to give it a shot once they are ready.

I water when I plant and everyday a light watering till they come up . The seeds need to stay moist to do best .