SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Shotgun (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46690)

lilrab1989 08-05-2013 02:40 PM

New Shotgun

So im in the market for a new shotgun not sure if i want to go back with my favorite benelli SBE11 or the new browning A5 help with this would be great never shot the browning i own the SBE11 just seen its better day lol

all star rod 08-05-2013 02:57 PM

I shot a SBE2 for almost 9 years. I purchased the VINCI (2 of them) two years ago and I really like it. Light, does not kick much and very easy to break down.

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 03:31 PM

Quit playing around with trash and buy you a beretta a400 xtreme. They on sale right now at bass pro. 1549 in camo. And you get 1/2 dozen free decoys with a mail in rebate. You can't beat that. The gun is worth every penny at regular price. Benelli can't hold a candle to the durability of beretta. To get the same quality from a Benelli(still kicks worse) that you get out of that stock beretta, you'll have to buy the benelli sbe2 waterfowl edition at the very low cost of $2800. And again it's still gonna kick more than the beretta

Spunt Drag 08-05-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 613604)
Quit playing around with trash and buy you a beretta a400 xtreme. They on sale right now at bass pro. 1549 in camo. And you get 1/2 dozen free decoys with a mail in rebate. You can't beat that. The gun is worth every penny at regular price. Benelli can't hold a candle to the durability of beretta. To get the same quality from a Benelli(still kicks worse) that you get out of that stock beretta, you'll have to buy the benelli sbe2 waterfowl edition at the very low cost of $2800. And again it's still gonna kick more than the beretta

I wholeheartedly disagree. It's the same company for gods sake. Another vote for the Vinci, but I made a mistake and bought the black instead of camo wrapped. This year ima buy the M2 in camo.

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 03:59 PM

Go look at the specs an deny it.

Top Dawg 08-05-2013 04:02 PM

I looked at the specs when I bought my Vinci. That one on beretta that said "weight: metric ton" is what turned me off. Not saying beretta is a bad gun. Just didn't feel like totin a anvil around.

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:05 PM

And yes Benelli is owned by beretta but not the same company. With the a400 you get a lightweight gun that is camo'd and coated to prevent rust. To get a similar type coating for the Benelli it'll cost you 2800. Go check it out. 2800 gets you a coating and a trigger job(pretty pointless on a shotgun that already has a good trigger IMO, it's not a precision rifle for Pete's sake)

Spunt Drag 08-05-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 613610)
Go look at the specs an deny it.

If you want me to say the beretta kicks harder than the benelli then that won't happen. But to say Benelli is junk and you can't get quality unless you buy a beretta, I can't help but find that absurd.

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 613611)
I looked at the specs when I bought my Vinci. That one on beretta that said "weight: metric ton" is what turned me off. Not saying beretta is a bad gun. Just didn't feel like totin a anvil around.

You right, I shoulda went with a Vinci or sbe cuz that .6 or .3 lbs is just too much difference in weight to be lugging around an "anvil". And to be able to submerge a gun in saltwater and throw it in the case without cleaning it and it be fine to use weeks later far outweighs any of the other smoke Benelli is blowing about how they so much better blah blah blah

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:18 PM

QUOTE=Spunt Drag;613613]If you want me to say the beretta kicks harder than the benelli then that won't happen. But to say Benelli is junk and you can't get quality unless you buy a beretta, I can't help but find that absurd.[/QUOTE]

I said they can't hold a candle to durability. Benelli is a decent gun but why spend that much on something when for the same price you can get so much more. Go fill that Benelli with saltwater and then put it in the case and opening day of teal season tell me how it worked out for you. I know how that beretta will work. It'll be just like when I bought it

Goooh 08-05-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 613618)
QUOTE=Spunt Drag;613613]If you want me to say the beretta kicks harder than the benelli then that won't happen. But to say Benelli is junk and you can't get quality unless you buy a beretta, I can't help but find that absurd.

I said they can't hold a candle to durability. Benelli is a decent gun but why spend that much on something when for the same price you can get so much more. Go fill that Benelli with saltwater and then put it in the case and opening day of teal season tell me how it worked out for you. I know how that beretta will work. It'll be just like when I bought it[/QUOTE]

Who does that? You can't tell me you won't clean that gun afterward, and I've done the same thing with a nova an super nova and they work fine, 9 years on the nova.

Top Dawg 08-05-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 613616)
You right, I shoulda went with a Vinci or sbe cuz that .6 or .3 lbs is just too much difference in weight to be lugging around an "anvil". And to be able to submerge a gun in saltwater and throw it in the case without cleaning it and it be fine to use weeks later far outweighs any of the other smoke Benelli is blowing about how they so much better blah blah blah

I have nothing at all against beretta. They are both good guns. But this conversation happens every year. "Benelli is better. No beretta is better". It's crazy. I've seen many berettas not function correctly. I've seen benellis not function correctly. It's all about personal preference. I shot a wingmaster for years. When I finally decided to get an auto it was between benelli and beretta. Went and tried them both and the benelli just felt so much better. I didn't not get the beretta cuz it's "junk" I just prefered the Vinci. I hunt salt marsh and not cleaned my Vinci yet and it still works and no rust. Im not arguing that one is better than the other.

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:25 PM

I do I have completely dropped my gun in the mud at the wax. I picked the gun up out the mud, splashed it all around in the water until all the mud was gone and finished hunting that day...and the rest of the season before I cleaned it and that was only 1.5 weeks into the season. That's why I push beretta so freaking much. The quality is dang near untouchable

meaux fishing 08-05-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 613619)
I said they can't hold a candle to durability. Benelli is a decent gun but why spend that much on something when for the same price you can get so much more. Go fill that Benelli with saltwater and then put it in the case and opening day of teal season tell me how it worked out for you. I know how that beretta will work. It'll be just like when I bought it

Who does that? You can't tell me you won't clean that gun afterward, and I've done the same thing with a nova an super nova and they work fine, 9 years on the nova.[/QUOTE]
Exactly what I was thinking... why would you abuse an expensive piece of equipment like that?

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:27 PM

Because I can. I want to hunt and not be cleaning a gun 3-4 times a season. It's enough work as is without having to come home and clean a gun too

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:29 PM

I'm not gonna keep going back n forth on it cuz it's pointless. I've said my peace. Now everyone else can say there's.

Goooh 08-05-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 613626)
I'm not gonna keep going back n forth on it cuz it's pointless. I've said my peace. Now everyone else can say there's.

You came out the gate swinging, calling a reputable gun a piece of junk. So, lets o back and forth.

Tell me how they an make such a superior product in the same country for so much cheaper?

Tell me how often you submerge your expensive fire arm in saltwater throughout the hunting season?

Tell me about all the other things are junk because they weren't the choice you made.

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:44 PM

My gun goes completely under prolly on avg 3 times a year. It's .3-.6 pounds heavier than the other guns in competition. It cycles faster not that it's an issue in hunting. And as far as how they make it cheaper, that's irrelevant to me. It's just better. Only thing you can say that's better than the beretta is a fraction of a pound in weight and ergonomically feels better, but that will vary from shooter to shooter soo that's not a solid standpoint really

specktator 08-05-2013 04:46 PM

If you think a Benelli kicks too hard, you need to find a new hobby cause you are a POO NANNY!

And it sounds like your daddy never taught you how to take care of your gun!

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:48 PM

Didn't say it kicked too hard I said it kicked harder

Top Dawg 08-05-2013 04:50 PM

A400 is actually .7 pounds heavier than my gun. And that's 3/10s from being a whole pound heavier.

cgoods17 08-05-2013 04:51 PM

I dont know about yall but nothing is cool about throwing your gun in the mud and picking it up and hunting the rest of year without cleaning it.... that is pretty dumb.. I agree, i dont clean my gun but 1-2 times a year but that doesnt mean i dont WHIPE it down after every hunt. ANY gun only works as good as you take care of it, IMO..

I been shooting A400 for two years and its a damn good gun, as is the SBE2.. I just dont like the way the beretta points compared to the SBE2, thats why i will be purchasing a new SBE2 very shortly..

but to sit here and say both guns are crap and blah blah blah, is a bit ridiculous..

specktator 08-05-2013 04:52 PM

Nothing feels as good as a Benelli auto. No matter which one you buy. Beretta is a fine gun as well. Just not what I like. Just like Ford, GM, Dodge. Everyone has their personal preference. I have friends who shoot Browning Maxus and A400s. Neither have had problems with them and they really like both.

And yes, you can easily tell difference in weight between A400 and Super Vinci.

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:53 PM

And I got a friend that has an extrema 2 that he didn't clean for 3 years and he flippin hunts 3 days a week an the thing was still rust free and working like a champ.

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 613639)
A400 is actually .7 pounds heavier than my gun. And that's 3/10s from being a whole pound heavier.

Well comparing 28" to 28" was the numbers I saw on their pages.

Reggoh 08-05-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 613636)
If you think a Benelli kicks too hard, you need to find a new hobby cause you are a POO NANNY!

That's what I was thinking... I've shot the Extrema, Extrema2, M2 Super, SBE, and SBE2 and there isn't a noticeable difference in kick among any of them. None of them kicks at all compared to my old Winchester from back in the day... These guns are powder puffs.

all star rod 08-05-2013 04:56 PM

Benelli or bust......

Top Dawg 08-05-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 613644)
Well comparing 28" to 28" was the numbers I saw on their pages.

I have a 28"

FF_T_Warren 08-05-2013 04:57 PM

Now seriously. I'm out of this convo this time. I've said all I've got to say on the subject. Good luck with your upcoming purchase. I hope your happy with whatever one you choose cuz in the end that's what matters

all star rod 08-05-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 613624)
Because I can. I want to hunt and not be cleaning a gun 3-4 times a season. It's enough work as is without having to come home and clean a gun too

So on avg how days do you hunt between teal and duck season?

Goooh 08-05-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 613650)

6, Saturday and Sunday of all 3 openers

Feesherman 08-05-2013 05:08 PM

I can't believe this still happens.

Nasty 08-05-2013 05:15 PM

Anyone has tried the new Browning A5 "Humpback"? Seems as though they are using inertia driven bolt.

PaulMyers 08-05-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 613650)

All of the days between seasons. My mad hunting skills are only surpassed by my mad fishing skills! :D

specktator 08-05-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasty (Post 613656)
Anyone has tried the new Browning A5 "Humpback"? Seems as though they are using inertia driven bolt.

It is inertia operated. Held one a few months ago but I don't know anyone with one yet. They have a 100,000 round/5 year warranty so they must be pretty confident in them. Very sweet looking gun. Always loved the A5s.

meaux fishing 08-05-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgoods17 (Post 613640)
I dont know about yall but nothing is cool about throwing your gun in the mud and picking it up and hunting the rest of year without cleaning it.... that is pretty dumb.. I agree, i dont clean my gun but 1-2 times a year but that doesnt mean i dont WHIPE it down after every hunt. ANY gun only works as good as you take care of it, IMO..

I been shooting A400 for two years and its a damn good gun, as is the SBE2.. I just dont like the way the beretta points compared to the SBE2, thats why i will be purchasing a new SBE2 very shortly..

but to sit here and say both guns are crap and blah blah blah, is a bit ridiculous..

Yep

Spunt Drag 08-05-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 613653)
I can't believe this still happens.

To "prefer" or "have had no complaints" about a brand is one thing, but to flat out call Benelli junk is ridiculous. Especially when its the same company. I guess GMC's are junk, gotta buy a Chevy or they don't make Tohatsu's with the same quality as them Nissan's.

Goooh 08-05-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunt Drag (Post 613664)
To "prefer" or "have had no complaints" about a brand is one thing, but to flat out call Benelli junk is ridiculous. Especially when its the same company. I guess GMC's are junk, gotta buy a Chevy or they don't make Tohatsu's with the same quality as them Nissan's.

Even further, the beretta was not even mentioned. The OP specifically asked for feedback on a browning and benelli.

Wide Open 08-05-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 613635)
My gun goes completely under prolly on avg 3 times a year. It's .3-.6 pounds heavier than the other guns in competition. It cycles faster not that it's an issue in hunting. And as far as how they make it cheaper, that's irrelevant to me. It's just better. Only thing you can say that's better than the beretta is a fraction of a pound in weight and ergonomically feels better, but that will vary from shooter to shooter soo that's not a solid standpoint really

Man if your dropping your gun in the water 3 times a year, I think you may be doing something wrong!
Between 10 different guys that Hunt with me we haven't submerged our guns 3 times in the last 15 yrs.
Oh, and were not hunting pit blinds in rice fields, it's cane patches and mud flats in Venice! Just as tough as the wax.

Between my father and I we have an assortment of diff. Shot guns in the last 30 yrs A5's, Golds, super black eagle 1,2's& 2 vinci's, and 2 berettas!
The only ones that continuously make there way back into the marsh is the benelli's! They just work!
I've had issues with every gun mentioned , but the least are the benelli's!
I'd put money that every gun mentioned above would make it through a weekend of hunting after being submerged , but to knowingly neglect a 1,000-2,000 dollar shotgun after being submerged in saltwater marsh is just plain ignorant!
I really believe its cases like this that make it hard for a honest sportsman to get warranty work done on a firearm for manufactured defects!

beachblind 08-05-2013 06:07 PM

Own the new A 5 three inch model I purchased before hunting season last year, shot it through out the season with no hiccups. My dad always hunted with the old A 5 so bought it for that reason, knowing that only the looks are the same and that's bought it. Love the gun, the auto load feature is pretty nice only complaint is that it does have quite a bit of felt recoil, compared to my beretta, but that's another argument lol.... It is quite a bit cheaper priced then benelli and beretta. Hope this helps. Just my .02 ...

Bdub 08-05-2013 06:21 PM

Glad yall got this convo started because I'm looking to possibly purchase a new gun this season. I been using the ol 870 and have abused it but it still gets the job done. I hunt 3-4 days a week during the season and plan on doing a little extra weekday hunts this season. I was looking at all the guns mentioned here and have left it up to how the gun feels in my hands to make a decision. I would love to get my hands on each and do some shooting so if anyone wants to shoot some clays sometime before the season lmk i'd love to try em out.

Msucowpoke51 08-05-2013 06:28 PM

In the past I've liked beretta over benelli, But the SBE2 is a bad mofo .. If I was buying today, it would be that shotgun for sure

all star rod 08-05-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdub (Post 613671)
Glad yall got this convo started because I'm looking to possibly purchase a new gun this season. I been using the ol 870 and have abused it but it still gets the job done. I hunt 3-4 days a week during the season and plan on doing a little extra weekday hunts this season. I was looking at all the guns mentioned here and have left it up to how the gun feels in my hands to make a decision. I would love to get my hands on each and do some shooting so if anyone wants to shoot some clays sometime before the season lmk i'd love to try em out.

There is not one person I know that has purchased the Benelli Vinci who has not been very satisfied with it.....once you get over it's strange look I think you will love it.

However I would really like to get the browning A5.

specktator 08-05-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msucowpoke51 (Post 613675)
In the past I've liked beretta over benelli, But the SBE2 is a bad mofo .. If I was buying today, it would be that shotgun for sure

When I bought my Super Vinci, I thought long and hard about just buying another SBE II. Love that gun. Super Vinci is a bad mofo too though. I usually buy a new gun every other year from Shooters on their 1 year interest free financing in August.

I've got M1, SBE, SBE II, and Super Vinci.

Dink 08-05-2013 07:17 PM

Stoger all the way. Drop it in the mud? Leave it and go buy another one......Inpersonally still use my old Wingmaster. Pumps and shoots everytime! To each his own......

all star rod 08-05-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 613685)
Stoger all the way. Drop it in the mud? Leave it and go buy another one......Inpersonally still use my old Wingmaster. Pumps and shoots everytime! To each his own......

Speaking of how many times do you hunt a year.......:confused:

I love when peeps make comments about a product but only use it 3-5 times a year......:work:

Dink 08-05-2013 07:22 PM

My comment was on its low price.....Weekends only bud, you know that. Got too many kids to be rollin ona weekday!

bgizzle 08-05-2013 07:23 PM

I have a buddy that has an sbe II and it only ejects drylocks and nothin else. Sent it to benelli and they said nothing wrong with it. My beretta cycles any shell and never had issues but barrel getting peeled by a bad shell and shell company paid for my barrel. My gun ejects 1oz loads which most don't. Beretta is all around better gun no matter who says what. You can talk and say all you want but say in and day out they perform and I can't say the same about competitors bc not one of my buddies hunt with Barretta and they all have way more issues than I've ever ran into

Top Dawg 08-05-2013 07:26 PM

My Vinci cycles 7/8 oz loads just fine. Never had a problem. On the other hand my cousins beretta wouldn't cycle any low brass at all. This arguement could go on for days.

all star rod 08-05-2013 07:29 PM

I have a buddy that shoot an A-400 and only cycles buckshot and he sent it back to beretta and they said nothing is wrong with the gun more than likely user error....Benelli is a better all around gun!