SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Big lake conditions (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68380)

Sinn 04-18-2018 06:51 PM

Big lake conditions

How is big lake? Heard it was bad few weeks back? Catching a cameron jetties?

Mlab12 04-19-2018 04:33 PM

I have been keeping up with the satellite imagery and it looks like it has been muddy since February. From what I hear fishing has been tough. Hopefully we have a calm and dry few weeks and the water gets clean.

Flex 04-19-2018 09:43 PM

Still muddy. Hopefully no more big rain for a while. Heading down as well first weekend in may.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

TroutSupport.com 04-20-2018 08:57 AM

Yet the guides don't go out of Business when this happens.. Do they W?

MEM1971 04-21-2018 09:08 AM

Went out to Calcasieu point on 4-19-18 and water was muddy. Doubt it was even 6" visibility and usually the water there is a good indication of what the water looks like on the north end of lake. Not always! I'm waiting for north end to clear up so I can get on some trout action

Andy C 04-21-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroutSupport.com (Post 834632)
Yet the guides don't go out of Business when this happens.. Do they W?

Cause they know how to fish!! I would fire a guide before I put foot on the boat if he has live bait!! I'm a sportsman, anybody can catch trout and redfish with live shrimp. I've never fished with that man but he's never lied to me when I call him. And I believe he will continue to if I don't crowd him or his customers!!

MEM1971 04-21-2018 06:55 PM

andy c I'm just curious where the live bait comment came from. did I miss something?

Andy C 04-21-2018 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEM1971 (Post 834689)
andy c I'm just curious where the live bait comment came from. did I miss something?

I might have took his reply as smart butt the way I read it. I didn't mean no offense to anyone that wants to use bait, it is just not my go to until I have tried everything I can. And don't mind going home empty handed trying to learn a new presentation of lures. I ment no disrespect to anyone that does. Cuz I have at times used bait.

MEM1971 04-22-2018 03:20 PM

Honestly thought I missed something. Idk if my computer or site but at times it just kicks me out and then I miss PMs. No biggie at all here I have good friends that don't put live or dead bait in their boats. I envy y'all that throw artificial all the time. I'm getting there! Tight lines all

DaPointIsDaBomb 04-25-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Cause they know how to fish!! I would fire a guide before I put foot on the boat if he has live bait!! I'm a sportsman, anybody can catch trout and redfish with live shrimp. I've never fished with that man but he's never lied to me when I call him. And I believe he will continue to if I don't crowd him or his customers!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 834699)
I might have took his reply as smart butt the way I read it. I didn't mean no offense to anyone that wants to use bait, it is just not my go to until I have tried everything I can. And don't mind going home empty handed trying to learn a new presentation of lures. I ment no disrespect to anyone that does. Cuz I have at times used bait.

Getting mixed feelings here. Are you a sportsman or not? You bashing us live baiters and then say you are one

Andy C 04-25-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 834823)
Getting mixed feelings here. Are you a sportsman or not? You bashing us live baiters and then say you are one

If it's me I'm not your kids and I cannot find them any fish or hardheads. I will cast net for some bait. And find something 2 bend there rod! I meant no disrespect to anyone that sells or throws bait. I took the the comment wrong. As stated above.

I will however never step foot on a guideboat that starts off with bait. And there is a ton of them out there.
With a few inclusions of the three or four that I know that help me when I haven't been down there in a while and they will not use bait until absolutely necessary.

Mlab12 04-27-2018 09:40 AM

I am firmly rooted on team Ziplok. I'll throw an Oscar Myer hotdog on the bottom if it means catching fish. I don't think that makes me any less of a sportsman, it just makes me a lot hungrier than some of you guys!

Andy C 04-27-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mlab12 (Post 834908)
I am firmly rooted on team Ziplok. I'll throw an Oscar Myer hotdog on the bottom if it means catching fish. I don't think that makes me any less of a sportsman, it just makes me a lot hungrier than some of you guys!

I always just eat them cold!! Lol

Broke Down 04-27-2018 11:05 PM

I find it hard to believe someone that fished from youth has never put a hot dog on a hook. Desperate times call for hot dogs when you run out of bait.....lol.

For the record, they work good on noodles mixed with some Zote soap