SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sales tax now charged on used boats (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64648)

Pull n Pray 06-23-2016 01:06 PM

Sales tax now charged on used boats

I didn't see it posted anywhere on here, so I thought I would pass along the info. Beginning April 1. You will now be charged sales tax on the full boat, motor, etc on used boats. So keep this in mind if you're shopping for a used boat.

The sale of boats and vessels by Individual owners will be subject to state sales or use tax beginning April 1, 2016. The Department of Revenue requires a copy of a bill of sale and a copy of the previous -owner's registration with the US Coast Guard, and/or title registration with the state in which the boat was used. This documentation, along with a completed Boat Registration Tax Payment Certification (R-1331) should be forwarded to LDR (see Contact Options listed below). Once this has been done, the owner can proceed to the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries to complete the boat registration process.

http://revenue.louisiana.gov/Individ...atRegistration

BloodKnot 06-23-2016 01:13 PM

Cash money deals....LA is a sinking ship and trying to grab on to anything...

Matt G 06-23-2016 01:17 PM

Act of Donation

Bluechip 06-23-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 799048)
Act of Donation

If you can find a notary to lie for you. I can see this being an issue selling a $20k boat.

Matt G 06-23-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 799060)
If you can find a notary to lie for you. I can see this being an issue selling a $20k boat.

It was kind of a joke, but not really. It seems like everybody's momma's, cousin's, best-friend's, hair dresser's, brother-in-law is a notary that can "take care" of that for them. :rotfl:

Bluechip 06-23-2016 02:55 PM

Understand....

Pull n Pray 06-23-2016 04:08 PM

If its a cash deal for a couple of thousand you can probably get away with fudging the numbers a little. People do it all the time with trailers. But if you're financing a 20-30K boat its going to cost you an extra couple grand for that boat. This could be a game changer when deciding whether to buy new or used.

sparkyc4 06-23-2016 04:46 PM

What a load of crap!

mcjaredsandwich 06-23-2016 04:55 PM

Legalize marijuana and just think of all the tourist revenue from Texas...where major cities have more population than the entire state of Louisiana. No more cash problems.

Juciy 06-23-2016 05:28 PM

This is nothing new, in the past you still had to pay sales tax unless the boat was over ten years old. After ten years no sales are taxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capt coonassty 06-23-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 799048)
Act of Donation

Not the case as someone who is a boat broker I know customers who have tried this. They will look up the NADA value and tax you at 3/4 value.

capt coonassty 06-23-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juciy (Post 799083)
This is nothing new, in the past you still had to pay sales tax unless the boat was over ten years old. After ten years no sales are taxed.

This is not true anymore, at least in La.

SpeckWrangler 06-23-2016 10:59 PM

Going through this right now and there is no clear direction on what the process is. Buddy went to BR to pay and they sent him back because parish needed to sign of first. Numbers are always busy and no local tax office. It's a cluster and money grabbing.

CaryLab 06-24-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Not true at all. Bought my 2012 Basscat 4 months ago and paid taxes on just trailer. It's been this way for a long time, until now. Just another way for govt to get our hard earned money.

capt coonassty 06-24-2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeckWrangler (Post 799126)
Going through this right now and there is no clear direction on what the process is. Buddy went to BR to pay and they sent him back because parish needed to sign of first. Numbers are always busy and no local tax office. It's a cluster and money grabbing.

What Parish? Some of them are trying to jump on this bandwagon of tax collection without passing any resolutions.

SpeckWrangler 06-24-2016 09:07 AM

Calcaiseu

jopete 06-24-2016 11:25 AM

nice to see they found a way to make money without raising my chewing tobacco tax another dollar.

so the boat is a revenue generator for the state? taxes paid over and over on the same boat doesn't sound like America to me.

redaddiction 06-24-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopete (Post 799160)
nice to see they found a way to make money without raising my chewing tobacco tax another dollar.

so the boat is a revenue generator for the state? taxes paid over and over on the same boat doesn't sound like America to me.

It's no different than paying taxes on an automobile over and over. It sucks that's for sure.

dugas 06-24-2016 03:20 PM

I just learned about this "use tax". I am moving back to LA from TX and it's going to cost me a lot of money just to register my boat and vehicles because of this tax. At least people might start being nicer to me on big lake when I get these TX numbers off of my boat.

noodle creek 06-24-2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Used to only have to pay taxes on trailer.