SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hog Hunting questions (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28773)

Matt G 03-07-2012 01:24 PM

Hog Hunting questions

I'm headed to Texas this weekend to make a hog hunt with my brother on a free range ranch. The guide said make sure my gear is scent proof..... Is that true? I've seen plenty of hogs n the woods without scent free clothing so I was just wondering if it's worth going buy some just for a weekend trip? Also, do I really need camo? Put on some weight since the last time ive worn it....I figured we'll be taking long shots before they even see us. Thanks for any info. I'll post a report when I get back Sunday.

mr crab 03-07-2012 01:58 PM

If the hogs are at a place where the hunting pressure is heavy, I would definitely heed the guides advice on staying scent free. Their noses are even better than a deer's. That being said, A bottle of scent free laundry detergent, a bottle of spray on scent killer, a stick of scent free deodorant, and rubber boots should be enough.

mr crab 03-07-2012 02:00 PM

And of course a bar of scent free soap

bluewing 03-07-2012 06:53 PM

if they have hogs in the area, play the wind and that is all you need to do. I kill them all the time in the marsh, out a stand, chewing tobacco and all. If they coming to feed they dont' care

mr crab 03-07-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluewing (Post 401970)
if they have hogs in the area, play the wind and that is all you need to do. I kill them all the time in the marsh, out a stand, chewing tobacco and all. If they coming to feed they dont' care

Agreed, but the x factor here is the pressure these pigs see. If those hogs are used to being hunted or worse, if they have been shot at before, they will be on high alert. Playing the wind is a must as you said.

flounder_smacker 03-07-2012 07:50 PM

Just go to academy get some hunter specialties laundry detergent, some hair and body soap, and a bottle of sent cover. All that stuff is on sale right now wouldn't cost u 20 bucks. Don't go buy the sent blocker high dollar stuff regular camo is just as good when taken care of. Also try to find a sent free plastic bag they usually sell them right next to the sent stuff or get some big ziplocks. To keep the sent free clothes separate.

Matt G 03-07-2012 10:58 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I stopped at academy tonight and picked up a scent pack for 14.99. Had the detergent, shampoo, deodorant, and spray! The ranch is called Corley Ranch by Madisonville, TX. I'm sure their hunted hard, it's $250 for a guided hunt for 2 hogs. I'm just hoping it's all good cause it's a birthday treat for me and my brother. Kill r not I'm gonna show those texans how a Cajun parties!!! Hope they're ready for hell.

bjhooper82 03-08-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 402078)
Thanks for the info guys. I stopped at academy tonight and picked up a scent pack for 14.99. Had the detergent, shampoo, deodorant, and spray! The ranch is called Corley Ranch by Madisonville, TX. I'm sure their hunted hard, it's $250 for a guided hunt for 2 hogs. I'm just hoping it's all good cause it's a birthday treat for me and my brother. Kill r not I'm gonna show those texans how a Cajun parties!!! Hope they're ready for hell.

Lol!! Good luck on your hunt.