SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Quitters and Losers Forum (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Started today (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40326)

Red Devil 01-11-2013 11:30 AM

Started today

Been contemplating quitting smoking for sometime now. Started my regimine of Chantix today and going to try to do my damnest to kick this nasty habit!!

Tightline11 01-11-2013 11:50 AM

The first two weeks were the hardest. I started smoking when I was 14 and just quite one day cold turkey when i 37 and haven't smoked since. I was a two pack a day smoker. You have to want to quite. that has been five years ago and it feels awesome.

Montauk17 01-11-2013 03:46 PM

I agree it's all in your head you have to want it....I smoked a pack to a pack and a half for 10 years. Quit almost 2 years ago cold turkey feel great and save alot of money

DUCKGOGETTER 01-11-2013 03:49 PM

I really want to stop, cause i pretty much smoke only when i'm at work or drinking.

Jordan 01-11-2013 03:50 PM

Good Luck Jay.... Ya'll at the camp this weekend ??

DUCKGOGETTER 01-11-2013 03:51 PM

Oh and forgot good luck.

Red Devil 01-11-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 537099)
Good Luck Jay.... Ya'll at the camp this weekend ??

No brother, offshore for three weeks.

Red Devil 01-11-2013 05:09 PM

Thanks guys!!!!

bmac 01-11-2013 06:55 PM

Good Luck!
It took a pulmonary embolism and a week in the hospital for me to quit permanently, but I did quit once before that for two years. My best advice is to figure out a new way to deal with stress and break all your old habits like smoking after a meal, smoke breaks with friends, etc.
Think about all the money you will save and no more stinky clothes! Oh and also no longer feeling like a heroin addict and worrying if you have enough cigs with you.

mequain 01-11-2013 06:57 PM

Good luck ole boy! Let me know if it works for you.

jchief 01-11-2013 07:02 PM

Good luck Jay. You can do it. I have faith in you

Keith_Stone 01-11-2013 07:35 PM

Congrats Jay, I tried Chantix a few years ago and it worked for me. Unfortunately I started again about a year later, I just quit again and went cold this time. Been holding strong for 3 weeks now hopefully I can keep it up.

I read on the internet that a nicotine craving only truly lasts 3 minutes at a time, so everytime I have one I try to focus on somethign else for the 3 minutes, suprisingly it has worked everytime. It has been getting easier everyday...Good luck you can do it.

fishinpox 01-11-2013 10:21 PM

U got this!! I haven't somed since last lent . This time I tried the gum but still wanted to smoke so I said to hell with all that stuff n quit cold turkey, I was a total jerk for about a month . Now when some one who smokes walks in a room it makes me wanna :puke: because of the smell. You can't do it dude! Also I kept telling myself I work to hard to earn a good living and ill be dammed if I'm not gonna live to be a old grumpy man so I can enjoy it!! Lol

dmtfish 01-18-2013 10:41 PM

Good luck bro... I have not smoked a cigarette since new years eve (smoked a pack a day for last 15 yrs). First 2 weeks were the hardest, but getting easier. Like everyone else said, its a mind thing...

jsethl13 01-19-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Devil (Post 536998)
Been contemplating quitting smoking for sometime now. Started my regimine of Chantix today and going to try to do my damnest to kick this nasty habit!!

You got that! I have faith. I'll say a lil prayer for you to stay true. Nothing good comes out of smoking.

Bluechip 01-19-2013 08:31 AM

Hang in there dude. I used Chantix one time to quit dipping. That lasted a few years with success until I was making a big hunting trip with a bunch of friends who all dipped....I decided I would get some for our big weekend of hunting......wrong!!

A few years after that I just decided that I wasn't going to let a little can of tobacco run my life. Threw it out the window driving down the road (yes, I'm guilty of littering), and have never looked back. That's been 8 years or so.....

You can do it dude.

msuchill4 01-23-2013 01:34 AM

Hey guys, I'm on the wagon Tryin to knock the can.. I haven't had a dip since dec 21 so I'm at a month and a few days. I see a lot of y'all have quit dippin so I was thinking y'all might have experienced this, but I have been sick pretty much since I have quit, coughing, sinus infection and stuff. Wondering if its flu season junk or if anyone else had this kind of stuff. I'm usually a pretty healthy guy might get a cold or sinus infection once a year, but never like this.

specktator 01-23-2013 07:23 AM

I'm going to try and give them up for Lent. If I don't have a reason to, I'm not gonna quit. Good luck.

Bluechip 01-23-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msuchill4 (Post 540147)
Hey guys, I'm on the wagon Tryin to knock the can.. I haven't had a dip since dec 21 so I'm at a month and a few days. I see a lot of y'all have quit dippin so I was thinking y'all might have experienced this, but I have been sick pretty much since I have quit, coughing, sinus infection and stuff. Wondering if its flu season junk or if anyone else had this kind of stuff. I'm usually a pretty healthy guy might get a cold or sinus infection once a year, but never like this.

I'm no MD but I think you just caught a cold/crud/flu.

I never had any symptoms like this when I quit.

jchief 01-23-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 540166)
I'm no MD but I think you just caught a cold/crud/flu.

I never had any symptoms like this when I quit.

Agree. Me either