SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sasol (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53297)

"W" 05-12-2014 08:43 AM

Sasol

Anybody work for Sasol on here? I was offered a job via email from a guy who use to work offshore with me years ago.

the job is :Operations Engineer: Steam and Pipelines

Anyone know what this is?

weedeater 05-12-2014 08:49 AM

I would definitely look into it.... lots of people trying to get jobs there

all star rod 05-12-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 688907)
Anybody work for Sasol on here? I was offered a job via email from a guy who use to work offshore with me years ago.

Lol...how can you have a title of "ops engineer" when first off you do not have an BS in engineering and to top it off you have a GED. You should be ashamed of yourself....engineer:rotfl:....:work:

I highly doubt Sasol is giving out engineering job titles to people without an engineering degree.

MathGeek 05-12-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 688925)
Lol...how can you have a title of "ops engineer" when first off you do not have an BS in engineering and to top it off you have a GED. You should be ashamed of yourself....engineer:rotfl:....:work:

I wouldn't get all high and mighty. There's nothing wrong with a GED.

Each company sets their own educational requirements for engineering jobs. A lot of engineering jobs are held by competent professionals without engineering degrees. Shhhhh. Don't tell Obama, or the feds will make a bunch of new rules. Shouldn't a company have the right to hire whomever they want for a position?

"W" 05-12-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 688925)

I must have the baddest GED ever because I was offered this job with zero plant experience lmao
Just a resume lmao !!

Must be those UH classes I guess !!

"W" 05-12-2014 09:10 AM

You have to forgive poor Rene ASR

Jealousy is a thing and Ol Rene has a bad case

I guess i just make this up for no reason at all?

T-TOP 05-12-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 688907)

Is it a shift job or straight days?

all star rod 05-12-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 688931)
I wouldn't get all high and mighty. There's nothing wrong with a GED.

Each company sets their own educational requirements for engineering jobs. A lot of engineering jobs are held by competent professionals without engineering degrees. Shhhhh. Don't tell Obama, or the feds will make a bunch of new rules. Shouldn't a company have the right to hire whomever they want for a position?

Never said there was but I have never heard of
someone hired with an engineer title without having a degree in the college of engineering. I have worked in the down stream and up stream side of the buisness since I graduated in 1993....and yes I finshed in the college of engineering.

"W" 05-12-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-TOP (Post 688935)
Is it a shift job or straight days?

Think it's shift work , it sounds like an operator job

Not sure what steam and pipeline means never been in a plant but have 15 years experience in oil and gas pipeline

all star rod 05-12-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 688934)
You have to forgive poor Rene ASR

Jealousy is a thing and Ol Rene has a bad case

I guess i just make this up for no reason at all?

No I just think it is a disgrace to the engineering profession to give someone a job title without having a BS in engineering.

Wow only "YOU" can take a few hours from u of h and be classified as an engineer....lol....dang you good I must admit...:cool::rolleyes:

But yes Sasol is still planning a big expansion project (company I work for is quoting stuff). But the GtoL plan has been cancelled from what I hear.

Will"E"Fish 05-12-2014 09:16 AM

One thing to consider @sum part of every 24 hour's u will be sleepn in your bed on the day's u are workn.

"W" 05-12-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 688941)
No I just think it is a disgrace to the engineering profession to give someone a job title without having a BS in engineering.

Wow only "YOU" can take a few hours from u of h and be classified as an engineer....lol....dang you good I must admit...:cool::rolleyes:

Few hours?? Lmao dude I took 2 years online courses and then spent a week over there

Yea few hrs

hewes 05-12-2014 09:18 AM

Don't forget thirty plus years of bull spit.

simplepeddler 05-12-2014 09:20 AM

Sasol is a gas to liquids plant......they have an operating facility in Usbeckastan (sp).

it is only one of two in the world currently operating.
Shell has the other in Quatar.

Shell is considering one in the US now.

On the surface it would seem the only threat to their success is the price of Natural Gas......which should be low for years to come in this area considering the shale plays.....

Might be a good play for you W

"W" 05-12-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will"E"Fish (Post 688944)
One thing to consider @sum part of every 24 hour's u will be sleepn in your bed on the day's u are workn.

The only reason I even kind of interested is because it's on land and still have same time off with good benefits

but I only have 15 years left to retire with my company now so just curious what kind of place Sasol is and if it's worth the risk of switching jobs

But I'm 100% happy where I'm at now plus I have almost a full time guide business on days off

T-TOP 05-12-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 688939)
Think it's shift work , it sounds like an operator job

Not sure what steam and pipeline means never been in a plant but have 15 years experience in oil and gas pipeline

Sounds like an operations job, at their powerhouse. It would also include all the utlity lines running to all units, which may be why they throw the pipeline phrase in there(possibly). Working off shore on operating rigs for 15 yrs would make someone a candidate for that job i would think.
Also companies title lots of things as engineer doesn't mean it requires a eng degree.

all star rod 05-12-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 688945)
Few hours?? Lmao dude I took 2 years online courses and then spent a week over there

Yea few hrs

So do you have a BS Degree?? So it seems by your thinking / comment I guess if a college grad is x amount of hours short from their degree they can now just claim that they are a college graduate...lol

Bubble gums please take not that a few college hours does not mean you have a degree.

all star rod 05-12-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplepeddler (Post 688950)
Sasol is a gas to liquids plant......they have an operating facility in Usbeckastan (sp).

it is only one of two in the world currently operating.
Shell has the other in Quatar.

Shell is considering one in the US now.

On the surface it would seem the only threat to their success is the price of Natural Gas......which should be low for years to come in this area considering the shale plays.....

Might be a good play for you W

Shell cancelled their GtoL project that they were looking at here..:cry:

Top Dawg 05-12-2014 09:26 AM

Sasol takes very good care of their employees. I know that much.

"W" 05-12-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-TOP (Post 688953)
Sounds like an operations job, at their powerhouse. It would also include all the utlity lines running to all units, which may be why they throw the pipeline phrase in there(possibly). Working off shore on operating rigs for 15 yrs would make someone a candidate for that job i would think.
Also companies title lots of things as engineer doesn't mean it requires a eng degree.

Roger that, ...