SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Legal shooting distance near houses (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68264)

bull1134 03-11-2018 03:43 PM

Legal shooting distance near houses

Does anyone know (for sure) how far away from a house you have to be in order to shoot a pistol / rifle in calcasieu parish?

I know some might consider it a bad move, but the neighbors seem like they are prepping for the zombie apocalypse every afternoon about 100 yds away from my house.

I do live out of town, but I at least have the respect to go far away from any house before I go shoot.

FF_T_Warren 03-12-2018 09:02 AM

A lot farther than that. I believe it is 500ft of any structure and kicker is that includes your own house that you have to be 500ft from

DaPointIsDaBomb 03-12-2018 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bull1134 (Post 833137)
Does anyone know (for sure) how far away from a house you have to be in order to shoot a pistol / rifle in calcasieu parish?

I know some might consider it a bad move, but the neighbors seem like they are prepping for the zombie apocalypse every afternoon about 100 yds away from my house.

I do live out of town, but I at least have the respect to go far away from any house before I go shoot.

'murica

meat killer 86 03-12-2018 09:57 AM

If your out of city limits then there is no law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeachGeek 03-12-2018 04:00 PM

Some parishes have distance from homes/structures/road laws. Calcasieu Parish does not. The only applicable law is LRS 14:94- ?94. Illegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities
A. Illegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities is the intentional or criminally negligent discharging of any firearm, or the throwing, placing, or other use of any article, liquid, or substance, where it is foreseeable that it may result in death or great bodily harm to a human being.

Please explain why you believe tht it is disrespectful to shoot safely 100 yards away from your house during the afternoon. Do you engage in noisemaking activity, such as mowing the grass, within 100 yards of other people’s homes? It seems to me that by being safe and by restricting their shooting to the afternoon that they are being quite respectful.

FF_T_Warren 03-13-2018 06:28 AM

I can concur with OP on it being disrespectful. I deal with the exact same thing. It’s fine to shoot guns from time to time. It’s nice to have that luxury and why most of us care to live in the country. However when shooting guns takes place several times a month for many hours at a time, it’s a bit ridiculous. I didn’t choose property next door to a shooting range for a reason. However, sometimes it seems like I did. So I can def relate to his pain

Top Dawg 03-13-2018 01:44 PM

Ban guns. Problem solved

Feesherman 03-13-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 833214)
Ban guns. Problem solved

Or boolits

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BeachGeek 03-13-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 833200)
I can concur with OP on it being disrespectful. I deal with the exact same thing. It?s fine to shoot guns from time to time. It?s nice to have that luxury and why most of us care to live in the country. However when shooting guns takes place several times a month for many hours at a time, it?s a bit ridiculous. I didn?t choose property next door to a shooting range for a reason. However, sometimes it seems like I did. So I can def relate to his pain

To asert that something that someone does safely during the afternoon while over 300 feet away is inherently disrespectful, and/or ridiculous without any further explanation besides,?I can def relate?, is absurd. People are not shooting ?next door? to his home. He plainlt stated that they are 300 feet away. ?Next door? in the sense of a subdivision is 2-25 feet away. 300 feet is at least TWELVE
times farther away. What ?pain? are you suffering?

duckman1911 03-13-2018 08:44 PM

150 yards in Rapides i cluding your own residence. That's why it helps to be friends with the Sheriff.

bull1134 03-18-2018 01:03 PM

Instead of making to big a deal about it, I left it alone and went on a short work hitch. I went over with a couple beers when I got back , talked to him about it, said it drive me crazy that they did that when I had people over and a bunch of kids trying to play outside. He said he understood, and sorry, and that’s all I had to say. So far...

Admittedly when I made the post it was one of those times when I was trying to cook outside and was a few drinks in, just got called to go offshore the next day and was a *****y about loosing some days off, so everything kind of pisses me off then.

The shooting that close still does, but that’s his slice of America to do what he wants with, I’m just glad we are able to keep things good. Nothin worse than going to war with the neighbors. Especially when one of them knows the idiot cousin you buy your drugs from...

MathGeek 03-19-2018 04:39 PM

If the projectiles are the concern, it's all about a safe direction and a backstop. No distance on the books is far enough if those are not properly handled.

If noise is the concern, there are lots of ways to mitigate the noise regardless of distance. One fairly effective method is to shoot out of an open window of a structure. There are also several simple and cheap designs of sound absorbing devices that need no permits or fees because they do not attach to the gun. Think about a big ice chest lined with carpet with 4" holes at each end to shoot through or a line of 10-12 tires and stuff of this sort.

I've shot a lot in and close to residential homes and the neighbors did not even know, much less complain. I used to shoot coyotes and groundhogs out the window without waking the sleeping infant in the next room, much less arousing sensitive neighbors. Legal? Yes. Safe? Absolutely. Discrete? Of course, cause idiots are still gonna question the other two.

BeachGeek 03-19-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bull1134 (Post 833436)
Instead of making to big a deal about it, I left it alone and went on a short work hitch. I went over with a couple beers when I got back , talked to him about it, said it drive me crazy that they did that when I had people over and a bunch of kids trying to play outside. He said he understood, and sorry, and that?s all I had to say. So far...

Admittedly when I made the post it was one of those times when I was trying to cook outside and was a few drinks in, just got called to go offshore the next day and was a *****y about loosing some days off, so everything kind of pisses me off then.

The shooting that close still does, but that?s his slice of America to do what he wants with, I?m just glad we are able to keep things good. Nothin worse than going to war with the neighbors. Especially when one of them knows the idiot cousin you buy your drugs from...

Sir, you are to be commended! Instead of lobbying the .gov to pass laws that would likely be selectively enforced, yet could be enforced against anyone; you went and spoke with your neighbor. Good communication between neighbors beats .gov interference everytime. Thank-you for being big enough to do the right thing.