SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Robo Duck Question (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51044)

paublo25 01-31-2014 10:34 AM

Robo Duck Question

Well I found a place to duck hunt really late this season as in the last weekend to hunt. Its private land that i just got permission from a family member to hunt. So I'm getting everything I can right now while its on sale. Now to my question, I have an older MOJO style mallard that is big with metal wings and stake out pole. Makes some noise when running but will replace all screws with new ones and tighten them down to cut that out. I'm looking to get another one since they are going on sale, and was wondering every ones take on the Baby MOJO Mallard. Should I get the smaller one for different sizes or just go with another large one. The property is a flooded water slough with some woods and tall grass type. I know too much is bad in some cases and I'm thinking with the smaller one I can cycle it in for the times the bigger one isn't working. Any info/recommendations from the experienced hunters will be greatly appreciated.

slimbullet 01-31-2014 11:02 AM

I have used them all from oldest to newest. I find they work early in the season, and better on cloudy days. Paint the white part of the wings flat grey. The old ones are more noisy, but I had a flock of mallards land directly under a hen I had spinning with just one wing and it didn't seem to bother them. However I recommend the baby mojos with the set timer\cycle. makes it more realistic that of a duck flexing on the water which means confidence.

meaux fishing 01-31-2014 12:59 PM

Or get a remote

BGcoreg 01-31-2014 02:27 PM

X2 on painting the wings. Havin a timer or remote helps big time..
You may want to look at The gadwall it comes with a timer . And mine also make some noises and if the ducks can hear it .... You should already be shooting

MarshRat89 01-31-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGcoreg (Post 662762)
X2 on painting the wings. Havin a timer or remote helps big time..
You may want to look at The gadwall it comes with a timer . And mine also make some noises and if the ducks can hear it .... You should already be shooting

But I thought ****s don't have ears lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simplepeddler 01-31-2014 05:02 PM

Have any of you guys ever tried brining a six pack of dove mojos in the duck blind?

you can carry 4-6 in the same room that a regular one fits in.....

MarshRat89 01-31-2014 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplepeddler (Post 662796)
Have any of you guys ever tried brining a six pack of dove mojos in the duck blind?

you can carry 4-6 in the same room that a regular one fits in.....

For teal season we put out a dove mojo with our regular baby mojos

ScubaLatt 01-31-2014 10:03 PM

I find that they do more harm than good late in the season. Don't use mine past Christmas usually.

grizzon30s 01-31-2014 10:32 PM

I've used the dove mojos for real teal season with good results. It's the flashing movement of the wings that makes then work. Not nececarily the decoy itself.

meaux fishing 02-01-2014 08:45 AM

I heard Marshrat likes to use the Screaming Woody...

jchief 02-01-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 662957)

Use or has????

:eek::D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MarshRat89 02-01-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 662957)

No Man its the screming wood p ecker! Dont be telling everybody all my secrets!

jopete 02-02-2014 10:15 AM

the mojo teal with a 9 volt battery in it is the way to go. stick a remote control in it for even more options. we don't use the big mojo's anymore. hadent for a couple years now, the mojo teal or the mojo dove works better.

if you are on the 'x', it doesn't matter!!!!! lol

good luck.

AubreyLaHaye458 02-02-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopete (Post 663082)
the mojo teal with a 9 volt battery in it is the way to go. stick a remote control in it for even more options. we don't use the big mojo's anymore. hadent for a couple years now, the mojo teal or the mojo dove works better.

if you are on the 'x', it doesn't matter!!!!! lol

good luck.

I didn't know they made a remote for the teal?

MarshRat89 02-02-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 (Post 663088)
I didn't know they made a remote for the teal?

You can hard wire it in

paublo25 02-04-2014 02:58 PM

Well just wanted to say thanks for all the information. After reading everything I went with the Baby MOJO Hen. I didn't realize how BIG it would be, nothing baby about it. I would hate to see how the regular size ones compare. It is the perfect size I was looking for though.

AubreyLaHaye458 02-04-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paublo25 (Post 663616)
Well just wanted to say thanks for all the information. After reading everything I went with the Baby MOJO Hen. I didn't realize how BIG it would be, nothing baby about it. I would hate to see how the regular size ones compare. It is the perfect size I was looking for though.

Good choice. That's what I use along with a teal. I'm not sure how much difference the drake/hen makes but I don't think it matters.

Dogface 02-04-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Yep, good choice.

ckinchen 02-04-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Pull them out of your spread around Christmas time, sometimes before. I had mine turned off but still in my spread for a few weeks late in the second split and when I pulled them our pintail went from being 60 yards off to feet out in our decoys. It was like someone flipped a switch. Mine are all hard wired so I was lazy and did not want to pull them out, big mistake.

specktator 02-04-2014 05:34 PM

Robo Duck Question

Ducks are different about mojos in different areas. Where I hunt in PI the teal love them and big ducks especially mallards hate them. But then some days I will put it out and the big ducks love em. Sunshine, cloudy same results.

In whiteville the ducks love them for some reason. Hammered the ducks late in the season with 3 mojos out. Flocks of 50 pintails at a time sometimes coming in. Geese hate them.

Went to Columbia to a friends place and he uses those wonder ducks that swim on the water with small wings that splash. I really like those. But also used two mojos. And the mallards poured in.

Sometimes setting up the mojo away from your spread in the thickets in the flooded timber or just away from the spread in a rice or marsh blind has better results as well.

Almost just have to bring it. Put it out and see how they respond. If they don't like it, take it down.

Baby mojos and standard mojos don't make a diff IMO. They all work the same.