SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Costa Del Mar question (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15263)

drewmar74 12-09-2010 09:41 AM

Costa Del Mar question

Fellas-

I have a pair of Costa's with the blue mirror 400 lenses. Love the dang things.

The only problem I've had with them is that the blue mirror finish starts to fade around where the lens meets the frames. I've actually had this happen twice.

The first time it was both lenses and the finish faded all the way around the lenses. I sent them back in to Costa and they replaced the lenses. I just noticed on Monday that one of the lenses is starting to do it AGAIN.

I only clean these things with water (occasionally) and a lens cloth.

Anyone else had this problem? Can anyone see something I'm doing to cause these problems?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me....

SaltyShaw 12-09-2010 10:08 AM

ehh thats no good man! I stick to the basic lol either amber lenses or the silver/black mirror finish on mine and never had problems. I would say just call em up and send them back again and tell them you want to upgrade to 580 lenses for all the hassle!!

LaAngler 12-09-2010 10:33 AM

I believe sunblock or bug spray can cause the delamination. I've sent some in for the same problem, I can see a small spot starting in the corner of mine again.

specktator 12-09-2010 10:37 AM

My dad had a pair that did the same thing. Send them back to Costa. They should replace the lenses free of charge.

drewmar74 12-09-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 211351)
I believe sunblock or bug spray can cause the delamination. I've sent some in for the same problem, I can see a small spot starting in the corner of mine again.

Hmmm.... I've been uber-careful with mine since they did it the first time. I had read about a similar issue with another sunglasses manufacturer. Their problem was caused by saltwater. I read that and said "Oh $#!@. I hope that isn't the problem here."

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 211352)
My dad had a pair that did the same thing. Send them back to Costa. They should replace the lenses free of charge.

Yeah, they're already boxed up. I'll probably send a letter with the glasses griping about the inconvenience.

Lake Chuck Duck 12-09-2010 12:04 PM

I had it happen to my blue mirror 400 wave killers. A guy at the local tackle shop said it was sweat related. I shipped them to get fixed and all I had to pay was the $9 shipping fee. Since I got them back I keep them in the case at all times and ONLY wear them to fish. I bought a used pair for cheap on ebay for my day to day costas.

drewmar74 12-09-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck (Post 211372)
I had it happen to my blue mirror 400 wave killers. A guy at the local tackle shop said it was sweat related. I shipped them to get fixed and all I had to pay was the $9 shipping fee. Since I got them back I keep them in the case at all times and ONLY wear them to fish. I bought a used pair for cheap on ebay for my day to day costas.

That would make a lot of sense because I sweat like a PIG.

I had thought about buying a pair of the gray CR-39's for every day use and leave the good ones for the lake...... You may have helped to make that decision for me. Either that or I need to make sure to rinse them with fresh water a lot more often.

Lake Chuck Duck 12-09-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewmar74 (Post 211377)
That would make a lot of sense because I sweat like a PIG.

I had thought about buying a pair of the gray CR-39's for every day use and leave the good ones for the lake...... You may have helped to make that decision for me. Either that or I need to make sure to rinse them with fresh water a lot more often.

Yeah I got the CR-39's and they are actually great for daily use, but I wouldnt even try to use them for fishin.

Raymond 12-09-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck (Post 211372)

I call BS on that one, I sweat like a Hog and have never had it happen.
Have two pair of blue lens and treat one pair like hell, mow yard, weed eat, kids wear them and not a problem. If you can't get salt water or sweat on them Why would you buy them??? Quality control is the issue but Costa will never admit they have a problem.;)

SaltyShaw 12-09-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 211442)
I call BS on that one, I sweat like a Hog and have never had it happen.
Have two pair of blue lens and treat one pair like hell, mow yard, weed eat, kids wear them and not a problem. If you can't get salt water or sweat on them Why would you buy them??? Quality control is the issue but Costa will never admit they have a problem.;)

YAHTZEE! :dance:

Dink 12-09-2010 07:45 PM

Y'all want some everydays??? I've got mp2's with 580 lenses .........125 shipped to your house....all brand new

Chris Havoc 12-09-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 211495)
Y'all want some everydays??? I've got mp2's with 580 lenses .........125 shipped to your house....all brand new

Thats cheap!! if i had the extra cash right now, those would be mine!!

I had to send a pair of the 400 green mirrored back 2 years ago with the delamination problem....replaced them for free.....and havent had any problems out of them. Also, if the sun is out, mine are worn.

Moma D 12-09-2010 08:53 PM

One thing is not to hang them on your mirror in your vehicle. Being in the sun and the temp of the summer inside the vehicle is not good. I have had 2 pair do it

JAg 12-09-2010 09:44 PM

I have two pair the green mirror and the blue both have done it. I didnt know they would fix them free of charge the green pair the lenses cracked too. I think it is water that causes it because mine were good till I jumped in the lake with them on after that it stated and I would swim in the pool with them on and they would get worse. Can I send mine back and get them fixed for free.

Dink 12-09-2010 09:56 PM

Yes. Go to their website, print the form. Fill it out and ship them. They aren't good about calling you, so you'll need to call them after a few weeks

Woodduck Commander 12-09-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 211495)

125! :eek: i picked mine up from your house for 150 lol :smokin:

Bluechip 12-09-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodduck Commander (Post 211533)
125! :eek: i picked mine up from your house for 150 lol :smokin:

I guess he is running a Christmas Special....:eek:

Salty 12-09-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 211351)

You put sun block on your sun glasses? :eek:

Woodduck Commander 12-09-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 211534)
I guess he is running a Christmas Special....:eek:

Everyday I'm Hustlin' :smokin:

Seeing Spots 12-10-2010 08:32 AM

Costas

The bug spray will do it. Happened to mine twice.