SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First Flight Decoys / Rockland Outdoors (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46424)

Big Hutch 07-29-2013 10:18 AM

First Flight Decoys / Rockland Outdoors

Has anyone used any First Flight Decoys from Rockland Outdoors? I am thinking about buying some of their gadwall decoys and teal decoys.

Any feedback or advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
Robbie aka Big Hutch

AubreyLaHaye458 07-29-2013 10:38 AM

I think the teal look good. The grey ducks kinda lack detail in my opinion.

DUCKGOGETTER 07-29-2013 11:57 AM

That's cheap though i will pick up some teal and coot decoys from there for sure

ckinchen 07-29-2013 12:58 PM

I have some, the detail is ok, the quality is not ghg level but the price is great.

Spunt Drag 07-29-2013 01:16 PM

X2 on what everyone else pretty much said. I have their GWT. http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...ps05a288c0.jpg

CAMP CANARD 07-29-2013 02:46 PM

Check out Dakota Decoys. My friends in Ne. use them.
$$ Ouch !!!

Trout rivers 07-29-2013 09:21 PM

Yea the Dakota's are ridiculous flocked decoys are nice but if their close enough to see that detail then they're coming home for dinner

Goooh 07-29-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trout rivers (Post 611065)
Yea the Dakota's are ridiculous flocked decoys are nice but if their close enough to see that detail then they're coming home for dinner

Disagree. Late in the season when they have seen every cheap, raggedy decoy around, they will swing in for a look at those when maybe they would have kept on going.

Sometimes it's not about getting them in close enough to shoot, it's about getting them in close enough to get the opportunity to get them in close enough to shoot.

They know when food is there from high up, and know a safe roost from high up, why wouldn't they be able to spot a realistic set of birds from up there after being trained by crap dekes for the last 2,000 miles of flight?

Trout rivers 07-30-2013 12:16 PM

Well I'll still Whack em with my ghg gear brotha it's really opinion and budget but to get back on topic I'd hunt over those first flight decoys.

Big Hutch 08-05-2013 07:33 AM

First Flight Decoys / Rockland Outdoors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Hutch (Post 610831)
Has anyone used any First Flight Decoys from Rockland Outdoors? I am thinking about buying some of their gadwall decoys and teal decoys.

Any feedback or advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
Robbie aka Big Hutch

Thanks for all the comments. I am probably going to buy some of their gw teal decoys. I think I will either buy more GHG gadwalls or break down and buy some G&H gadwalls.

Where can you buy G&H decoys in southwest LA?

Thanks
Robbie aka Big Hutch

all star rod 08-05-2013 08:03 AM

I have two dozen of the GWT I bought at the end of the season and will put them out this year.

Also, I can see paying a lot of $ for a nice flocked SPEC decoys since you only needed 3-5. However whom ever thinks high priced duck decoys brings them in closer have not ducked hunted too much or too long!

Big Hutch 08-05-2013 09:09 AM

After thirty two seasons of duck hunting I have learned a little but I am still learning. We have killed decoying ducks while standing outside the blind when someone was in the decoys picking up ducks with the motor running. If a duck wants to come in you have to try hard to stop them. Other times nothing you can do will get them to commit.

What I am considering in the decoy choice is durability. If after 1 season half the new decoys you bought last year are leaking around the keel and have lost all their paint, is a "cheap" decoy really that cheap? My argument is that when you use as many decoys as I do, 150-200 per blind, at 2 blinds. I can't afford to replace half of my decoys every year. I also dont have time to re-rig that many decoys each year. Now if I only used a couple dozen then who really cares how much they cost or how long they last. Heck I would probably buy custom made decoys made of wood or cork just to add to the huntng experience.

Just my two cents.
Robbie aka Big Hutch

B-Stealth 09-27-2015 10:38 AM

Looking at buying a few dozen Rockland decoys; are they still holding up for y'all?

Big Ridge 09-27-2015 03:14 PM

I bought 10 dozen of the Gadwal decoys and the paint was off them by the end of the season. The Teals held up good they still look like they did when I got them.

B-Stealth 09-27-2015 03:57 PM

Decoys

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Ridge (Post 774205)
I bought 10 dozen of the Gadwal decoys and the paint was off them by the end of the season. The Teals held up good they still look like they did when I got them.

Kool, thx for the feedback.

all star rod 09-28-2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 610887)
I have some, the detail is ok, the quality is not ghg level but the price is great.

X2....after 2 years the paint started to come off of my Teal decoys.

Top Dawg 09-28-2015 09:01 AM

Coke bottles or bust

Top Dawg 09-28-2015 09:07 AM

Speck floaters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reefman 09-28-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 774245)
Coke bottles or bust

Quart milk jugs, flat black with white on bottom, white cap. Place these close to the blind. In just a light wind those jugs move real well with a flicker of the white bottoms. Very realistic when used with quality decoys further out.

cgoods17 09-28-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 611072)
Disagree. Late in the season when they have seen every cheap, raggedy decoy around, they will swing in for a look at those when maybe they would have kept on going.

Sometimes it's not about getting them in close enough to shoot, it's about getting them in close enough to get the opportunity to get them in close enough to shoot.

They know when food is there from high up, and know a safe roost from high up, why wouldn't they be able to spot a realistic set of birds from up there after being trained by crap dekes for the last 2,000 miles of flight?

i disagree. i believe late in the year it depends more on concealment and making your calling more realistic. yes the birds are looking at your decoys but they are worried more about where that noise is coming from.

i have hunted over the same speck decoys for a very long time. the flocking is peeling off and they are so faded that they look almost grey. i feel i would have had the same success over brand new decoys in the same situations. like someone said earlier. if they can see the paint on the decoys flaking then they are too close and should be hanging on your bird strap.

as far as ducks go, i believe it is more about the contrast of colors, white and black... when you see ducks on a pond from far, what do you see? black or brown dots and white on a pintail or spoonbill chest, that is it. all of this detail painting is to fool people into buying more expensive decoys. buy the most durable decoys you can and if you feel like they are fading, just slap on a little brown and white paint.

that is why coke bottle theory works so well. paint them black with a strip of white and what do the birds see with those bottles are spinning and floating,? the flash of dark and white. contrast...

but then again that is my opinion. and everybody is different.