SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Retriever training help (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10487)

Woodduck Commander 05-18-2010 10:58 PM

Retriever training help

Just wondering if there are any secrets y'all may know... I've got a yellow lab, she is about 5-6 months old. I have her retrieving and she listens very well and is starting to get used to hand signs... But I still have trouble getting her to sit still until I tell her to go. Anyone know any way to correct this?? And any other training tips... Thanks for your help.

yak'em-n-stack'em 05-18-2010 11:25 PM

an 8 foot rope tied to a stake by your foot.

if she takes off, she will quickly find out that she should not do that anymore

Bluechip 05-18-2010 11:28 PM

Take her back to the basics....sit, stay......and a check cord will help also.......

jlincecum 05-19-2010 06:38 AM

Also remember she's still a puppy. Still need to make things fun for her and be careful with the punishments.

Ducktrickster 05-19-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlincecum (Post 154031)
Also remember she's still a puppy. Still need to make things fun for her and be careful with the punishments.

I agree totally. The problem is that the dog doesn't know that sit means sit and stay seated until I release you. Back to basics. Reteach sit and do it with reinforce it with distractions. Have kids or other animals playing. Toss some bumpers and don't let him get them. There are numerous ways to achieve this. When throwing bumpers keep thge animal on tight lead...let the dogs know what you expect and what the right way to act is as tricking him with a loose lead. Good luck.

Asterisk-Rich 05-19-2010 07:02 AM

I am a firm believer in the beatdown approach....

H2OFwlKlr 05-19-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducktrickster (Post 154035)
I agree totally. The problem is that the dog doesn't know that sit means sit and stay seated until I release you. Back to basics. Reteach sit and do it with reinforce it with distractions. Have kids or other animals playing. Toss some bumpers and don't let him get them. There are numerous ways to achieve this. When throwing bumpers keep thge animal on tight lead...let the dogs know what you expect and what the right way to act is as tricking him with a loose lead. Good luck.

Agree 100%

Gotta like that avatar! :rotfl:

Raymond 05-19-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em (Post 154013)
an 8 foot rope tied to a stake by your foot.:shaking:

if she takes off, she will quickly find out that she should not do that anymore

:shaking:

6 mos is too early to steady a dog, don't worry about it right now. Develop the dogs marking and desire while continuing O/B. Find someone that will throw marks for you since hand throwing from your side is not training just playing. If you can travel, come to LC on a Sat morning and train with me. There are plenty of DVD's out there that will help explain the process and worth the money. If you have any book that starts with "Waterdog" chunk it in the garbage. PM me if you are serious about this adventure with training.

Regards,

Raymond

Ray 05-19-2010 08:02 AM

6 months is not too early, in my opinion.
If they don't have good obedience, they will not be good duck dogs.
They have to listen to be a good hunting dog.

The other Raymond.

adamsfence 05-19-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich (Post 154037)

x2:*****:

Ray 05-19-2010 08:26 AM

Just get an attitude adjuster. Then all you gotta do is push a button and they stop.

adamsfence 05-19-2010 08:27 AM

got one of them for when hes out of what evers in my hand range

Shawn Braquet 05-19-2010 09:32 AM

i believe personally that at 6 months hand signals should be the last thing to try, like others said, practice marking and obedience obedience and obedience

Wag 05-19-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 154054)

The other Raymond.

+1

Wag 05-19-2010 09:49 AM

My advice about dog training .... a dog will test you daily, you have to be on your toes, and make sure you are the one doing the training and not the dog training you!

Ducktrickster 05-19-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich (Post 154037)

Great for a seasoned retriever that is intentionally giving you the finger. Horrible for a young dog that may not know better.

goldenrod 05-19-2010 10:59 AM

What are those black dots on your avatar?:d

Ducktrickster 05-19-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenrod (Post 154134)

Location disguisers.

Feesherman 05-21-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 154054)

The other Raymond.

You misunderstood. 6 months is the time for obedience, you are right. But it is way way too early to steady the dog and way too early for hand signals. At 6 mos, you should be working on nothing but obedience. The retrieving at 6 mos should be fun stuff. Not long marks, hand signals or double and triple work. Too early. Go slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feesherman 05-21-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenrod (Post 154134)

Hahahahah, he colored over all the seagullls.