SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   To Stay or To Leave a Fishing Spot (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11547)

speck-chaser 06-21-2010 10:46 PM

To Stay or To Leave a Fishing Spot

okay fellas, I was contemplating this on my last trip out. Whats yalls guidelines for staying on a certain hole for any given amount of time? If your in a spot that you are picking up a few fish every once in a while, still getting bites every once in a while, How long do you stay at em before you decide to try the next spot to see if the bite is better?

LaAngler 06-21-2010 10:49 PM

fishing for limits? tournament string? one trophy?

how crowded is the bay that day? is it the "mid day slump" or is it "prime time" ?

Jordan 06-21-2010 10:50 PM

I usually spend no more than 30 minutes per spot until I get to a spot with at least one fish in the boat per 10-15 casts

speck-chaser 06-21-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 167227)
fishing for limits? tournament string? one trophy?

how crowded is the bay that day? is it the "mid day slump" or is it "prime time" ?

prolly more for limits since I fish more times recreational,than tournaments.

yak'em-n-stack'em 06-21-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 167228)
I usually spend no more than 30 minutes per spot until I get to a spot with at least one fish in the boat per 10-15 casts

pro staff has spoken

"W" 06-22-2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 167228)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Well that explains your fish to trip ratio :p

Jordan 06-22-2010 08:37 AM

it does..... get over it...

mstulb 06-22-2010 04:24 PM

Lake Bruce said if your looking for numbers I will usually run and gun across the lake, especially guiding, most people liked catching small fish and boat riding. Fish for consistent #'s of big takes a large degree of patience. Be prepared to get one good bight every 30 minutes.. This a pretty consistent time table. If a spot has good water, with bait, and a good tide I will fish it pretty hard..

justwant2fish 06-22-2010 07:14 PM

Fish it hard for 15-30 throwing every different color diff depths fan out ....then hit next reef or point. If I get on a good bite I work it till it is gone and run and gun. Wife with me she dictates everything she has map she makes decisions on where to go.......she right most time

Asterisk-Rich 06-22-2010 07:50 PM

im to ADD to fish a spot for 30 minutes and not get a bite. i'd be back in the boat try'na spark a bowl

skeeter77346 06-22-2010 09:40 PM

Hard to leave fish that are biting, esp in a spot that has produced time and again. Left 'em before and wished we had stayed - more times than I want to say. I like to run and gun too for a 'better bite', but .... looking back, better to switch lures, presentation and 'homestead' the area that you have confidence in. Good luck.

huntin fool 06-22-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich (Post 167627)
im to ADD to fish a spot for 30 minutes and not get a bite. i'd be back in the boat try'na spark a bowl

When im with people, like in my boat taking somebody, im way to ADD. By myself, i fish an area way to long, but im also just fishing, not caring wether i catch or not.