SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ATV gun rack..the good and bad... (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12399)

Bluechip 07-15-2010 09:49 PM

ATV gun rack..the good and bad...

1 Attachment(s)
I am thinking of purchasing an atv gun rack of this type for a deer rifle. I have always carried the rifle in a hard gun case, bungee corded to the back rack.

What are the pros and cons of this style of rack. Anyone ever had trouble with it knocking your scope off???

SULPHITE 07-15-2010 09:51 PM

blue where did you find that one?? I've been looking at them and only found a double gun rack like this

http://candssales.ipower.com/images/GR121B.jpg

I'm only transporting shotguns so I'm not worried about shaking....

longsidelandry 07-15-2010 09:54 PM

Pro's:
Easy access if you need to pull the gun up to shoot while travelling

Con's:
The gun will get hit and scratched by branches, mud, rocks, etc.
It will always be in the direct sunlight, rain, snow
It will be vulnerable to something knocking the scope out of whack or completely off

Bluechip 07-15-2010 09:55 PM

It was an off brand....I found that one on sportsmanguide.com

Is it October YET? 07-16-2010 08:02 AM

Buy one that attaches to the front racks. The handle bar mounted ones suck. When you turn the guns turn. Easier to hit things. Even your arms when driving.

Ray 07-16-2010 08:04 AM

You need a turrent style gun rack. That way you don't have to stop to shoot.

Bluechip 07-16-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Is it October YET? (Post 178673)
Buy one that attaches to the front racks. The handle bar mounted ones suck. When you turn the guns turn. Easier to hit things. Even your arms when driving.

Anyone use these for a deer rifle?

adamsfence 07-16-2010 10:39 AM

also if you get the one that faces long ways it gets in the way of the beer cooler in the front

Shawn Braquet 07-16-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamsfence (Post 178729)
also if you get the one that faces long ways it gets in the way of the beer cooler in the front

my beer cooler is to big for the front so that wouldnt be a problem but i would need a cup holder for the shot on the go

LaAngler 07-16-2010 11:25 AM

To me, the rack has it's use at times. If you are going down a skinny muddy trail or a rough road I do not trust my rifle in it. I just keep mine slung on my back if i'm driving or hold the gun if i'm riding on the back.

Bluechip 07-16-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 178740)
To me, the rack has it's use at times. If you are going down a skinny muddy trail or a rough road I do not trust my rifle in it. I just keep mine slung on my back if i'm driving or hold the gun if i'm riding on the back.

I just have a nice smooth ride to the stands with a few mudholes but I just ease through them. I'm not a speed demon either, just cruise usually about 1/3 throttle.

I either travel logging roads or trails that we have cut and keep bushogged and clean.

I was just thinking about getting away from the hard case and wondering if anyone had these installed on their atv but from the responses I guess no one does......

Ducktrickster 07-16-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 178570)
blue where did you find that one?? I've been looking at them and only found a double gun rack like this

http://candssales.ipower.com/images/GR121B.jpg

I'm only transporting shotguns so I'm not worried about shaking....

I have this one on my bike and it shakes and rattles a lot but it has never caused me to miss. I think you really need one heck of a jolt to knock your scope off unless you use crappy mounts.

Ducktrickster 07-16-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducktrickster (Post 178753)
I have this one on my bike and it shakes and rattles a lot but it has never caused me to miss. I think you really need one heck of a jolt to knock your scope off unless you use crappy mounts.

It has however caused my Benelli to shoot crooked. Or at least I hope thats the problem:grinpimp:

Is it October YET? 07-16-2010 12:43 PM

I have used the ones that mount to the front rack. I use it to hold my bow and my deer rifle. As long as your scope mounts are tight then you won't have a problem with it getting off center.

Bluechip 07-16-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducktrickster (Post 178753)

I have good mounts....I'm going to give it a try then but will probably stop by the shooting range a few extra times this season to help build my confidence...

Red Devil 07-16-2010 05:01 PM

Blue, I have seen the one you are looking at on other people's bikes and I will say they do bounce alot. You also have to remember that if you are headed back to camp and what direction the muzzle is pointed. I've gotten on people in the past because they come pulling up to a crowd of people standing around with the muzzle pointed right at us. Mine goes side to side and only put my rifle in it when I am not traveling. I sling it over my back when I am. Just personal preference I guess and my .02.

Bluechip 07-16-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Devil (Post 178789)
Blue, I have seen the one you are looking at on other people's bikes and I will say they do bounce alot. You also have to remember that if you are headed back to camp and what direction the muzzle is pointed. I've gotten on people in the past because they come pulling up to a crowd of people standing around with the muzzle pointed right at us. Mine goes side to side and only put my rifle in it when I am not traveling. I sling it over my back when I am. Just personal preference I guess and my .02.

I was going to get the side to side....Thanks for your input Devil..

longsidelandry 07-16-2010 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We all use the hard cases that mount in the plastic braces and attach to the side of the bike. Never have 2 worry about the gun getting messed up and you still have full access to both front and rear racks. When we are traveling from the stand back to the camp, we just leave the top of the case off and we can easily access the rifle if we need to.

Asterisk-Rich 07-16-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longsidelandry (Post 178841)
We all use the hard cases that mount in the plastic braces and attach to the side of the bike. Never have 2 worry about the gun getting messed up and you still have full access to both front and rear racks.

but you cant shoot on the run

Bluechip 07-16-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich (Post 178843)
but you cant shoot on the run

Exactly....that is kind of what I was looking to do. There are a few trails and a few hay fields that I occasionally jump something but always too much trouble to take the shot..