SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Beach 8/17 topwater shark action (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13151)

Jedi Lure Tricks 08-17-2010 09:34 PM

Beach 8/17 topwater shark action

1 Attachment(s)
so loaded up the yak this mornin and ran down to my favorite strech of beach. i got there about 6.. light north wind water looked so-so. i started out chunkin a chart skitter walk. took four in the first hour.. kinda slow.. then nothing for the next hour or so.. then the bait activity started back up and i picked up two more 2lb trout like this one..

here's the weird part.. i chunked the skitterwalk to a large pile of very nervous bait. it landed on the outside edge of the bait ball, as i worked it into the center of the bait.. all the bait erupted and either a shark or a porpoise:confused: actually came up and inhaled my bait! i expected a strike but not this! it happened so fast and i was so stunned, i didnt get a good look.. my rod loaded and instantly cut off like a hot razor. whatever it was, it was large and in charge!(1/2 the size of my yak)

now, ive fished the beach for quite a while now and seen porpoises and sharks and even had them attack fish as i reel them in.. but i have never seen one attack and eat a topwater bait.. anyone else ever seen or heard of this..?

specktator 08-17-2010 09:38 PM

Jack Crevelle for sure! Happened to us last summer. The jacks showed up and were crushing our topwaters. We caught 3 or 4 of them. One of my buddies was throwing a jig. Threw it out, got spooled, respooled, threw it out again, and got spooled again.

SKnox 08-17-2010 09:40 PM

COOL!

specktator 08-17-2010 09:40 PM

Nice catch btw!

yak'em-n-stack'em 08-17-2010 09:44 PM

ive had a blacktip hit my top water the other day in GI

Jedi Lure Tricks 08-17-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 187416)
Jack Crevelle for sure! Happened to us last summer. The jacks showed up and were crushing our topwaters. We caught 3 or 4 of them. One of my buddies was throwing a jig. Threw it out, got spooled, respooled, threw it out again, and got spooled again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 187418)
Nice catch btw!

thanks.. yeah i wish it was jackss.. but this beast had a big dorsal fin

FF_T_Warren 08-17-2010 09:47 PM

I doubt it was a porpoise. I've never seen or heard of anyone ever catching a porpoise on anything, not even hooking one and losing it.

meaux fishing 08-17-2010 09:47 PM

if it broke off right away sounds like a shark. Pox said a couple of sharks blew up on his topwaters by venice the other day. If it was half the size of the yak that would be a huge jack

Jedi Lure Tricks 08-17-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em (Post 187420)
ive had a blacktip hit my top water the other day in GI

yeah im thinkin big shark.. i was just shocked lol

Jedi Lure Tricks 08-17-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 187422)
I doubt it was a porpoise. I've never seen or heard of anyone ever catching a porpoise on anything, not even hooking one and losing it.

there was a pod of 3 or 4 porpoises really close the beach.. herding bait... really gettin after it.. i watched them for about 10 minutes.. thats why i thought .... maybe?

Jedi Lure Tricks 08-17-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 187423)
if it broke off right away sounds like a shark. Pox said a couple of sharks blew up on his topwaters by venice the other day. If it was half the size of the yak that would be a huge jack

yep exactly what im thinkin.. id hate to see that jack!! :*****:

Hopedale Hustler 08-17-2010 09:51 PM

i caught a porpoise on a catch 2000 once...it spooled me of course..

meaux fishing 08-17-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 187422)

i caught a couple of porpoises on trout before..:pissed: took about 50yds of line in about 2 seconds

I make oil 08-18-2010 06:45 AM

That is a nice spec. What did it weigh? I was looking at the CCA score board last night and there are a lot of holes in it still. Especially in the Kayak division. I did not see any fish in the kayak division yet.

jpeff31787 08-18-2010 07:35 AM

Nice fish! And yes i've had sharks hit topwaters plenty times. I've even had them devour my popping cork before. Anyway sounds like you had a good time out there. I'm ready to get on some fish!

longcast 08-18-2010 08:18 AM

Nice job bro. Gonna hit the lake today or tomorrow after work. U down.

Montauk17 08-18-2010 08:44 AM

Nice bro,I love dat topwater action. Tie a steel leader next time and find out what it is. :D

southern151 08-18-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 187461)
Nice bro,I love dat topwater action. Tie a steel leader next time and find out what it is. :D

I did that ONCE when I lived in FL. My back yard was the Intercoastal. Fish would bust out by the hundreds with some bright, big fish in chase. I threw a couple of silver spoons out there and wham, 50 yds of drag and then cut line. So, I got wise...I got some 2' steel leaders and waited. The next time this eruption occurred, I was ready! Spoon, cast, WHAM!...Fish on! 20 minutes of fighting later, up comes about a 3' baracuda! Needless to say, he got to keep the spoon and leader! I wanted NO part of those teeth!:shaking:

Keep in mind, I grew up in Oklahoma so, I didn't have any idea as to what I was getting in to. Quick lesson learned that day!:*****:

Ray 08-18-2010 08:57 AM

Mackeral will cut a line quick, fast and in a hurry too.
Mono or Fluro ain't good leader material for them either.

Jedi Lure Tricks 08-18-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I make oil (Post 187450)
That is a nice spec. What did it weigh? I was looking at the CCA score board last night and there are a lot of holes in it still. Especially in the Kayak division. I did not see any fish in the kayak division yet.

thanks. it was only 2 1/4lb on the boga.. im in the cca .. just hadnt checked the leaderboard.. guess i should huh? lol :shaking: i led our division over here last year for about a month with a 5.. didnt figure i was even close..