SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Squirrel recipes? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15477)

outcast 12-22-2010 07:06 PM

Squirrel recipes?
 
Anybody got any good recipes for squirrel, besides in a gravy. Thats how i usually cook em

adamsfence 12-22-2010 07:47 PM

i had them fried once they was pretty good.......i guess they just put em in some grease and flour.....i was drinking pretty heavy instead of watching. but they was good or i could have been just drunk....sorry im not much help

Bluechip 12-22-2010 08:40 PM

I smoked some squirrels and quail wrapped in bacon. It doesn't take long but just enough to get some smoke in them, them I coated with barbeque sauce like Baby Rays, put in an aluminum pan covered with aluminum foil and moved to the opposite side of the pit for about one hour.....:D

It would melt in your mouth...nothing but a bunch of guys sucking squirrel bones.....:eek:

I will also buy smoked rabbits from Billeadeaux's in Lake Charles and coat in barbeque sauce, wrap it up and throw on the pit when we are camping, hunting, etc...cook some garlic bread and a pot of baked beans..you got a meal, fit for a King..

outcast 12-23-2010 03:01 PM

Damn bluechip, that sounds good. Im smoking a turkey for Christmas, Might do some squirrels also, about how long you smoke the squirrels before foiling them?

Bluechip 12-23-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outcast (Post 213529)
Damn bluechip, that sounds good. Im smoking a turkey for Christmas, Might do some squirrels also, about how long you smoke the squirrels before foiling them?

It just depends on how hot your fire is. I didn't go to long because I didn't want to dry them out but it was probably somewhere around an hour but I was on a low heat 200 to 225 degrees. Just keep an eye on them. When they start to tighten up and change colors is when I foil them. As soon as they get that rich smoke color I pull them.

SULPHITE 12-23-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 213435)
I smoked some squirrels and quail wrapped in bacon. It doesn't take long but just enough to get some smoke in them, them I coated with barbeque sauce like Baby Rays, put in an aluminum pan covered with aluminum foil and moved to the opposite side of the pit for about one hour.....:D

It would melt in your mouth...nothing but a bunch of guys sucking squirrel bones.....:eek:

I will also buy smoked rabbits from Billeadeaux's in Lake Charles and coat in barbeque sauce, wrap it up and throw on the pit when we are camping, hunting, etc...cook some garlic bread and a pot of baked beans..you got a meal, fit for a King..


Probably the best recipe for the year and funny too! :rotfl:

Deerfarmer 12-23-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 213435)
I smoked some squirrels and quail wrapped in bacon. It doesn't take long but just enough to get some smoke in them, them I coated with barbeque sauce like Baby Rays, put in an aluminum pan covered with aluminum foil and moved to the opposite side of the pit for about one hour.....:D

It would melt in your mouth...nothing but a bunch of guys sucking squirrel bones.....:eek:

I will also buy smoked rabbits from Billeadeaux's in Lake Charles and coat in barbeque sauce, wrap it up and throw on the pit when we are camping, hunting, etc...cook some garlic bread and a pot of baked beans..you got a meal, fit for a King..

Can't do the smoked meats due to indigestion. I boil mine until they get tender. Rub with oil and Tony's. Put on pit on indirect heat until they change color. Coat with Sweet Baby Rays sauce and cook until sauce is caramel color. Works good with coon and rabbit also. Also rub them with Louisiana hot sauce before putting on pit is good.

DUCKGOGETTER 12-24-2010 08:46 AM

I know you really don't want to cook them in a gravy, but my wifes papa cooks squirrel and dumplings, and it'll make you slap yo mama.

southern151 12-24-2010 09:50 AM

If ya fry em, put some small slices in the meat. This helps cook more evenly and keeps em from getting tough from being in the grease too long.

Bluechip 12-24-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER (Post 213598)
I know you really don't want to cook them in a gravy, but my wifes papa cooks squirrel and dumplings, and it'll make you slap yo mama.

that's my favorite....;)

gonzalesdave 12-24-2010 10:04 AM

i left some charcoal under your carport. What time do we eat?

joshdomingue 12-27-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamsfence (Post 213429)
i had them fried once they was pretty good.......i guess they just put em in some grease and flour.....i was drinking pretty heavy instead of watching. but they was good or i could have been just drunk....sorry im not much help



you never are!!!!!!

adamsfence 12-28-2010 08:24 PM

josh do some work and get off the computer

joshdomingue 12-29-2010 07:16 AM

Son I been bowed up like a double headed cutworm!!!!!

Jordan 12-29-2010 09:52 AM

i boil the squirrel's then take the meat and put it in a crock pot with BBQ sauce then throw dat on bread !!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted