SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   29 Horse Mud Buddy (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17940)

BA1125 04-21-2011 07:16 AM

29 Horse Mud Buddy
 
Anyone have any experience with the mud buddy surface drives?

I am buying a boat that has a 2004 29hp Mud Buddy on it.

Shawn Braquet 04-21-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA1125 (Post 245829)
Anyone have any experience with the mud buddy surface drives?

I am buying a boat that has a 2004 29hp Mud Buddy on it.

Junk brad, we run a 35 hp hyper drive and its left us in the marsh twice during gator season, one can consume a lot of beer push poling a boat with 6 gators 300 yds across a marsh so an outboard can get to us!!

FF_T_Warren 04-21-2011 07:28 AM

MUD BUDDY is trash. but dont throw away the motor, it can always be used as your anchor when fishing in a deep channel.

meaux fishing 04-21-2011 11:18 AM

I have never heard anybody give a positive comment about mud buddy motors but i personally dont have any experience with em

Raymond 04-21-2011 11:23 AM

Call "Big Pecan" lodge and ask them how MB's hold up under pressure.:rolleyes:
MB's claim to fame is the horsepower, but nothing else on them last long enough to justify the fame. GT or PD make the only quality motors that hold up day in day out.

SULPHITE 04-21-2011 11:50 AM

i know some people had 2 of them for quite a few years...lotsa maint. because of use in saltwater marsh though...

BA1125 04-21-2011 10:29 PM

Alright guys thanks for the info...

It seems like a really killer deal for it so not sure what I'm gonna do.

BA1125 04-21-2011 10:35 PM

what seems to be the issues with the mud buddy over the others out there?

I am new to the surface drives, don't really know much about them. Doesn't look to be much to them.

Shawn Braquet 04-22-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA1125 (Post 246117)
what seems to be the issues with the mud buddy over the others out there?

I am new to the surface drives, don't really know much about them. Doesn't look to be much to them.

Lower unit bearings are junk for starters

BA1125 04-25-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet (Post 246146)
Lower unit bearings are junk for starters

Are they junk because of the brand or because of the way they are designed? If it is the brand I can for sure get a better bearing, we fight bearing issues on our drag motors and by swapping to a different type of bearing we eliminate alot of wear.

Anyone else know of any other issues?

Wide Open 04-25-2011 04:35 PM

Man they all break! I've run all of them, with diffrient results, and each has it's pros and cons. If the motor has good compression, and passes a leak down test, and every thing works, and looks like it was maintained well, then it is probably a good deal. Remember though it is 6-7 years old, and when things break witch they will, it cost mucho denero to fix. We run our motors down in venice, and we run them HARD, DID I SAY HHHAAARRRDDD! Given time It will break. I Really dont think either MB GT GD or PD is built better than the other, but as stated before each has its own good things, and it's bad. The one Good thing I can say about the MB 04 model, is that it is probably the most simple of all, and easiest to fix, and was my most favored frame of all the MB's. Very balanced, and easy to handle.

BA1125 04-26-2011 07:14 AM

Thanks for the reply Wide Open...

For $1,300 I really can't pass up the deal for boat, motor, & trailer.

Jordan 04-26-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA1125 (Post 247342)
Thanks for the reply Wide Open...

For $1,300 I really can't pass up the deal for boat, motor, & trailer.


if u come across another deal like that, let me know please.

SULPHITE 04-26-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA1125 (Post 247342)
Thanks for the reply Wide Open...

For $1,300 I really can't pass up the deal for boat, motor, & trailer.

don't worry bud, if something goes wrong I know how to fix'em :smokin:

BA1125 04-26-2011 10:54 AM

I seen your mechanic skills and they are about as good as mine are with electricity! I wouldn't let you change the oil in that thing. lol

BA1125 04-26-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 247421)
if u come across another deal like that, let me know please.

Sure will

SULPHITE 04-26-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA1125 (Post 247445)
I seen your mechanic skills and they are about as good as mine are with electricity! I wouldn't let you change the oil in that thing. lol

:*****: c'mon...i just want turn a couple bolts and what not! LMAO!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted