SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Spare Prop (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20178)

skinman 06-26-2011 01:23 PM

Spare Prop

Had some buddies go out about 5 miles and spun a prop. The coast guard towed them in. That got me to thinking that I need a SPARE!! I bet most everyone carries a spare with them?

booyagasha 06-26-2011 02:30 PM

doubt it, i would more worry about messing a prop up around here with crab traps, oyster beds, etc. than if i go offshore. but i know some that do, most being an old prop, but the real question is how would one change a prop at sea?

iron man 06-26-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booyagasha (Post 276212)
doubt it, i would more worry about messing a prop up around here with crab traps, oyster beds, etc. than if i go offshore. but i know some that do, most being an old prop, but the real question is how would one change a prop at sea?

with lots of skill. We carry a spare racing prop for when we see an allison or a stroker.

in all seriousness, we carry a spare trolling motor prop and the spare 30 pitch prop and the tools and hardware to change it.

Hydro 06-26-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booyagasha (Post 276212)

One would get wet !!!

booyagasha 06-26-2011 03:24 PM

if you going offshore you should have at the very least 2 motors, 2 outboards/inboards, or a outboards and a kicker.

outcast 06-26-2011 04:13 PM

Make sure you carry a spare nut also!

jchief 06-26-2011 04:15 PM

Ha

Quote:

Originally Posted by outcast (Post 276252)
Make sure you carry a spare nut also!

Well, I ain't gonna say it.

Need a TOOL also.

Gerald 06-26-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchief (Post 276254)
Well, I ain't gonna say it.

Need a TOOL also.

I have always carried all 3.....prop, nut and 15/16" wrench.

LPfishnTIM 06-26-2011 08:18 PM

I got you beat! I spun mine 20 miles from the nearest landing in hopedale, I will always carry a spare! I carry an extra tm prop and pin too. extra cloths and a pair of waders in the winter!

BaseballFisherman 06-26-2011 08:18 PM

I've run the same motor with the same prop on big lake for the last 11 years and never had a problem. My best friend bought a brand new boat and motor two years ago and has spun his prop 4 times already. I guess it depends on how hard you are on your rig and how well you maintain it (luck sometimes helps too), but carrying a spare never hurts. Carrying a spare trolling motor prop, nut, and pin, in my opinion, is a must because a lost or damaged trolling motor prop can make your day of fishing much more difficult. I had to learn that the hard way, so now I carry two spares!....plus trolling motor props aren't that expensive compared to a SS outboard prop, so you might as well carry an extra just in case.

Dink 06-26-2011 09:52 PM

Spare prop is in the boat....and string to tie it all wahile changing......can you imagine dropping your spare while changing it!!!??? Ouch!!!

Big Flounder 06-26-2011 10:26 PM

I spun mine in the ship channel without a spare but I gots one now. I could still idle but I had a friend out there with a spare so he helped me out. I got one off a guy on LAS for $30 and a pair of channel locks in the boat. And yes someone is either getting wet or back up to the shore and hop out to change it.

iron man 06-27-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 276389)
Spare prop is in the boat....and string to tie it all wahile changing......can you imagine dropping your spare while changing it!!!??? Ouch!!!

keep some scuba gear in the boat. and a nice bright light.