SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Calcasieu Fishing (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20854)

Rookie Redfish 07-14-2011 01:54 PM

Calcasieu Fishing

Been trying to catch big bull redfish.
Mostly catching catfish. I mean like alot.
I just throw them back.
How do you guys catch so many redfish, trout and flounder??
I get the dead bait shrimp from Calcasieu Point Bait shop by the landing.
What am I doing wrong?
I heard that crab might work better any suggestions?

SaltERedneck 07-14-2011 01:56 PM

the longer the bait sits at the bottom the more likely dem catfish gonna get it especially dead skrimps. the rest can chime in on how dey catch em.

Lake Chuck Duck 07-14-2011 01:57 PM

Just gotta get out there and practice. If you want to throw shrimp I would try and get live from calc point.

Ray 07-14-2011 01:57 PM

Catfish like dead or live bait on the bottom.
Artificial if you don't want to catch Hardheads.
Crab is best for Reds and Drum.

SaltERedneck 07-14-2011 02:09 PM

easy way.... weirs, choupique bayou, jetties, the beach... arties tremendously eliminate the cats... i still have caught cats on them though.

skyln95 07-14-2011 02:18 PM

you want to catch bull reds? go to the rock breakers west of holley beach. get yourself a 10-12ft surf pole and reel. tie on a steel leader with 3 or 6oz surf weight(spider weight)depending on how rough the surf is. use cut croakers or mullet. on a south wind and light seaweed, you can catch bulls ranging from 20-30lbs all day long.

Captain Mike P. 07-14-2011 02:39 PM

Dead shrimp will definitley attract dem hardheads. Reds will eat shrimp live or dead, but I do find the hardheads are not as bad with crab. Also a tip, when using cracked crab get rid of the legs. All in all it sounds like you may need to move around a little. Most of the time the reds will chase out the cats.

Rookie Redfish 07-14-2011 02:50 PM

Ok. I will try that.
I think if I get some small bait fish and cut them up i will use them.
Did you guys learn all that stuff from practice?
How do you feel about circle hooks?

Specks-N-Reds 07-14-2011 03:03 PM

Cut mullet or cracked crab at the jetties will get you on some big reds.

Gerald 07-14-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyln95 (Post 286452)
you want to catch bull reds? go to the rock breakers west of holley beach. get yourself a 10-12ft surf pole and reel. tie on a steel leader with 3 or 6oz surf weight(spider weight)depending on how rough the surf is. use cut croakers or mullet. on a south wind and light seaweed, you can catch bulls ranging from 20-30lbs all day long.

Cast out past the rock breaker is the best to catch big red along the beach. Another good spot is the Cameron Jetties.

Quote:

How do you feel about circle hooks?
Circle, kale or other size 0/3 to 0/5 size hooks are good. Use a Carolina Rig with a 1/2+ oz. size weight. Jig heads can be used, but a single hook is better....IMO.

Crabs for bait.....If you don't have a lot crabs for bait, you can cut them in half or just use 1 claw. I cut all large crabs in half to use for bait. Small live crabs are very good bait.

wtretrievers 07-14-2011 03:05 PM

Circle hooks are cool, just got to get used to not setting the hook! Just steady pull on the rod & it will set it self

ckinchen 07-14-2011 04:19 PM

For big bull reds in the calc estuary I would focus on the Cameron jetties. Dead shrimp (or anything else) on the bottom near the rocks should do it and you will still probably catch a ton of catfish. Every year around September there seems to be an influx of bull reds into the lake near mid lake and the last two years they were under birds.

mstulb 07-14-2011 04:21 PM

Y

X2

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyln95 (Post 286452)

skyln95 07-14-2011 04:58 PM

make sure when i say cut bait i mean large cuts and very large circle hooks. that way nothing smaller than a trophy gafftop can get their mouth around it. big baits yield big fish at the beach(usually). make sure and keep a trout rod handy. on calm days i've been at the breakers and trout running pogie into the dips between rocks. i've found the trout love live pogie out there.

Rookie Redfish 07-15-2011 11:24 AM

Good stuff.
Thanks everyone.
Will try those recommendations this weekend.
Let you know the outcome.