SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   %#*€ Fireplace (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26672)

Raymond 01-03-2012 08:35 PM

%#*€ Fireplace

Hayden had to have a fire tonight and now I have the back door open because of the smoke. Damper is open but I am still getting smoke in the house. Any suggestions on burning wood in this thing without getting carbon monoxide poisoning?

jdm4x43732 01-03-2012 08:37 PM

when was the last time you cleaned your chimney? might have a bird nest up there, doesn't help you right now I know! sorry

mikedatiger 01-03-2012 08:40 PM

Try to get it rolling with a fire log or newspaper, and crack a window to get air flowing. If that doesn't work, shut it down and crank up the heater and call it a night.

Bluechip 01-03-2012 08:41 PM

I used to have the same problem with mine. I just have an insert but I didn't have the correct draft. I had to add additional section to the stack to get the draft.

But if it has never been a problem then you might have a bird nest up there....

Becareful......

jdm4x43732 01-03-2012 08:44 PM

Every couple of years me and dad used to get on the roof and take top of chimney and drop a chain down the chimney and spin it around scraping the walls knocking all the soot off. Seen a few bird nests also. If you do this yourself close your dampers good and cover the front of fireplace, ours was a wood burning stove and we would put a blanket over it.

fishinpox 01-03-2012 08:46 PM

Try closing the damper 1/2 way and open a door or window to make a good suction , light smoke news paper and hold it to the damper and watch the smoke to make sure it goes up better, once you get it going you can close window and adjust the damper till its correct. If this doesn't work check for birds nests ect...

Raymond 01-03-2012 08:55 PM

Negative on birdnest it has a grill ontop. I will try adjusting damper,scratch that it has a spring on it and is either open or closed!!!!! 10/12 roof so I would need a crane to lengthen stack. May have to put a picture of a fire in it.

fishinpox 01-03-2012 08:58 PM

Just try to open door or the window and leave damper open

simplepeddler 01-03-2012 08:58 PM

Nothing ticks me off more than this kinda crap.

We had to add to the stack at one camp......and had to always have a window open at another.
But that was camps where we did all the work and had no earthly idea what we were actually doing.

Pox has some experience here.......likely is idea has merit

geralddct 01-03-2012 08:59 PM

Don't get on the roof Raymond, I remember the outcome of the last time you was up there. Lol

Raymond 01-03-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geralddct (Post 371305)
Don't get on the roof Raymond, I remember the outcome of the last time you was up there. Lol

It wuz a lernin xperance I tell ya and I have the scars to prove it!!!!

geralddct 01-03-2012 09:12 PM

I saw the proof the day after, it sure did a number on ya

fishinpox 01-03-2012 09:12 PM

Is it a metal insert fireplace or a masonry isokern type? Look for manufacture label and see if u can replace damper to adjustable

speck-chaser 01-03-2012 09:16 PM

get a set of gas logs!!

Raymond 01-03-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 371316)
Is it a metal insert fireplace or a masonry isokern type? Look for manufacture label and see if u can replace damper to adjustable

Metal insert piece of ****, would glass doors help?

Bluechip 01-03-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 371295)
Negative on birdnest it has a grill ontop. I will try adjusting damper,scratch that it has a spring on it and is either open or closed!!!!! 10/12 roof so I would need a crane to lengthen stack. May have to put a picture of a fire in it.

I had to rent a lift on a trailer from Grand Rental to do mine.

Dink 01-03-2012 09:28 PM

If its an insert, you will have a lever on the side to open a vent that helps to direct the smoke out. I didn't add this to mi e because I thought I'd done the math right. Mine smokes in the house a little at first, but I like the smell. Once the fire is hot enough, no more smoke cones in because it makes almost a vacuum up the chimney.

Raymond 01-03-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 371334)
If its an insert, you will have a lever on the side to open a vent that helps to direct the smoke out. I didn't add this to mi e because I thought I'd done the math right. Mine smokes in the house a little at first, but I like the smell. Once the fire is hot enough, no more smoke cones in because it makes almost a vacuum up the chimney.

I like the smoke too but we look rather funny wearing our ski goggles watching tv!

Dink 01-03-2012 09:42 PM

You need gas masks

Bluechip 01-04-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 371340)
I like the smoke too but we look rather funny wearing our ski goggles watching tv!

Lol.....what's on the agenda for tonight!!!!

Pics please lol....