SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Why to wade... (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33661)

SGib 07-10-2012 03:49 PM

Why to wade...

Never waded other than in the surf. Really thinking about giving it a shot pretty soon. Any cool story or why y'all like to wade would be appreciated.

Salty 07-10-2012 03:58 PM

You don't appear to be much taller than W. ;) Might wanna stick to outgoing tide conditions. :D :smokin:

J/K, bud.

SGib 07-10-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 460103)
You don't appear to be much taller than W. ;) Might wanna stick to outgoing tide conditions. :D :smokin:

J/K, bud.

That was a good one I give you that. I think I may have him by a little not too much tho

Salty 07-10-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGib (Post 460106)
That was a good one I give you that. I think I may have him by a little not too much tho

:rotfl: You might could get by with the first couple hours of a risin' tide, then. ;)

Tonka337 07-10-2012 04:17 PM

I tell you what. Go for a wade with a buddy. Tie on a top water, maybe a corky. Once you get the initial blowup and find yourself in a battle with the fish you've been looking for, let me know how you feel about wading! haha.

Captain Bruce, Mr Drost and Kevin Cochran are what I consider elite status on this particular subject. I've learned a lot from these guys. The only one I haven't met personally is Mr Drost. Hopefully that might change here in the future.

Its peaceful, no fighting with a trolling motor to hold position, and its all you and the elements! It heightens your awareness of whats happening around you and I seem to be a whole lot more focused on working an area thoroughly. Not to mention you get to learn the bottom contours and slight ditches in any given area. I belive that I am personally a better angler after discovering wading. Doesn't get much better than that. best of luck. It would be interesting to hear back from you afterwards. Straight up addicting!

CustomRod 07-10-2012 04:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Can fish from the grounds and catch a few before work :cool:

BassYakR 07-10-2012 04:27 PM

Wheres that? Id love to try some wade fishing but i have no idea where to go

PUREBAY2200 07-10-2012 04:44 PM

Wading is fun.
Never did it b4 I came over to big lake.
John Solari taught me a lot; he is a great wader!
It very calming and peaceful to walk and fish.
The right gear help make it more enjoyable.
Landing a fish while wading takes a lil practice.... I lost 5-6 b4 I finally landed one.
Good luck!!

SGib 07-10-2012 04:58 PM

For a first timer no MUST haves other than wading boots?

Keywest18 07-10-2012 05:01 PM

DRAG YOUR FEET, best advice for wading. do not step or walk. once you step on a stingray its all over. dragging your feet you will push him and make him move. i used to wade all tge time castnetting mullet and after that id fish broken piers off the beach.wading is fun and definitely " cool" in the summer

specktator 07-10-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGib (Post 460141)
For a first timer no MUST haves other than wading boots?

Boga, Corky's, and a wade belt

Jadams 07-10-2012 06:23 PM

And some Texan fishing attire!

Jadams 07-10-2012 06:26 PM

They sell these lil packs like a fanny pack to put couple baits needle nose etc in and place for small net and then get u one of those lil donut rings w a sack for ur fish prefer 3 mm neoprene bc 5 u sweating u can always add clothes under cant take off

mcjaredsandwich 07-10-2012 07:37 PM

Wading is a blast. Caught my PB last November wading. Had one break the line that would have put it to shame. It's fun to wade. That being said, I don't know if I would wade in the summer...too many jellyfish and stingrays.

Make sure you wade where the ground is able to hold you, I almost got stuck in mud up to my knees..hit a really soft patch.

sammich

BassYakR 07-10-2012 07:54 PM

Man where yall do this wading? Id love to try it out.

Salty 07-10-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonka337 (Post 460116)
I tell you what. Go for a wade with a buddy. Tie on a top water, maybe a corky. Once you get the initial blowup and find yourself in a battle with the fish you've been looking for, let me know how you feel about wading! haha.

Captain Bruce, Mr Drost and Kevin Cochran are what I consider elite status on this particular subject. I've learned a lot from these guys. The only one I haven't met personally is Mr Drost. Hopefully that might change here in the future.

Its peaceful, no fighting with a trolling motor to hold position, and its all you and the elements! It heightens your awareness of whats happening around you and I seem to be a whole lot more focused on working an area thoroughly. Not to mention you get to learn the bottom contours and slight ditches in any given area. I belive that I am personally a better angler after discovering wading. Doesn't get much better than that. best of luck. It would be interesting to hear back from you afterwards. Straight up addicting!

I learned a couple things from Cochran, too.

SGib 07-10-2012 07:58 PM

Never done it before just curious about it.

Gilbert 07-10-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadams (Post 460178)
And some Texan fishing attire!

what's texan fishing attire?

jchief 07-10-2012 07:59 PM

I got a xl wade belt if anyone is looking.

Bring you a dowl rod 1" or so and probe the bottom before you get out the boat. There are some spots on the lake that the bottom is very soft and you DON'T want to step out there.

There are stingrays and sharks in the lake. Drag your feet, go slow, don't wade alone especially your first few times.

I stuck a trout that was well over 9 on my second wade trip. She pulled the treble out of my black Super Spook. That sealed it for me. Unfortuanately, back and hip issues made it where I can't wade anymore. I would wade in pants/shoes when the water warmed up enough. Never shorts.

Raymond 07-10-2012 09:55 PM

I normally just fall out of the boat and fall in when boarding! Only harder way to fish is out of a yak.