SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ideal Skeet Choke (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34231)

Lake Chuck Duck 07-26-2012 12:05 PM

Ideal Skeet Choke
 
For the skeet shooters out there, what choke do yall find to be the best application for sporting clay situations. I believe I had switched to an improved cylinder last time I shot clays. I was not very happy with my final score to say the least and I have a shoot event coming up in a few weeks. Also this was my first time shooting a new gun I had won.

So lets here it, what choke do yall like to use?

Top Dawg 07-26-2012 12:09 PM

I think the gun has more to do with it than the choke. If you are shooting a new gun that you aren't comfortable with odds are it doesn't matter what choke you have. Personally when I shoot lead shot at skeet, doves, etc. I like to shoot a full choke. I like a tighter pattern that holds together pretty good. Jmo. Some like shooting open spreads and that's cool to. I guess it's just personal preference just try and see what you like better.

Micah 07-26-2012 12:35 PM

Shoot a skeet choke....that's what its made for. I have a Remington 1100 with a skeet barrel and have shot perfect 25 a few times(thanks to the gun). Try a skeet choke in practice.

cmac23 07-26-2012 12:42 PM

Skeet or Improved Cylinder is what I recommend.
I agree that the new gun probably had more to do with your score than the choke. Good Luck!

cmcnabb 07-26-2012 01:12 PM

I shoot whatever choke I hunt with

Feesherman 07-26-2012 01:18 PM

I shoot whatever choke is stuck in my gun!

Micah 07-26-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 467747)
I shoot whatever choke is stuck in my gun!

Lol, been there, done that!

Lake Chuck Duck 07-26-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmac23 (Post 467734)
Skeet or Improved Cylinder is what I recommend.
I agree that the new gun probably had more to do with your score than the choke. Good Luck!

Well I figured it was more the gun, but I have always just never been real sure if I was ok with the chokes I had or if I should go buy something else.

Thanks yall

Ribeye 07-26-2012 01:56 PM

Pattern your gun with the shells you will be using and try different chokes. Select the choke that patterns best.

Wag 07-26-2012 01:58 PM

Tula choke

Crawl79 07-26-2012 02:12 PM

I shoot IC for almost all clay shots, I switch to Skeet for rabbit clays or clays breaking very close in. Switch to modified for shots people are breaking far out. Never use a full choke for clays, although I shoot full for almost all hunting of doves, squirrels, and ducks.

wtretrievers 07-26-2012 02:31 PM

Depends on the gun. Have one that I prefer Imp cly, another that I prefer Imp mod & another that'll I'll shoot with a mod in a tie breaker situation. & also depends where & at the back & cross winds which gun I shoot on clays.

Main thing is shoot paper & look for consistant holes in pattern, not good, those sneaky lil clays will find that hole every time.

Yakbum 07-26-2012 03:11 PM

I have shot registered NSCA sporting clays for about 3 years. I almost always use improved cyl./light modified (for over/under gun) with the occasional modified choke used for really far birds. For a single barrel gun, I would recommend a light mod choke. Pretty much middle of the road

CAMP CANARD 07-26-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakbum (Post 467801)
I have shot registered NSCA sporting clays for about 3 years. I almost always use improved cyl./light modified (for over/under gun) with the occasional modified choke used for really far birds. For a single barrel gun, I would recommend a light mod choke. Pretty much middle of the road

x2

Keith_Stone 07-26-2012 06:28 PM

I used to shoot out a Cajun Elite all the time and still shoot in the Oilmans and LOBI tournaments..IC is probably the best all around choke if you are not shooting an over/under. I have a Beratta 391 that I use. I shoot IC for the course and a Skeet choke when I am shooting 5 stand.

simplepeddler 07-26-2012 07:56 PM

When shooting clays........I carry the IC, Skeet and a diffusser.

cajunforeman 07-26-2012 09:32 PM

I've shot with Bobby Fowler and Corey Cruz before and they both shoot modified and almost all targets on registered nsca targets and they are some of the best in the game. I always shoot ic or light mod if the targets are out there. I can tell this much it is highly unlikely that any target can't be hit with a ic choke. It's all about the presentation of the bird. See your shot picture and shoot. Usually only the master class shooters shot modified chokes in competition events.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted