SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   paint question (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35908)

Keywest18 09-07-2012 05:28 PM

paint question
 
Im looking to paint the "interior" of my house, mainly living room and hallway.the guy i rent from had bought some CHEAP contractor paint to paint before we moved in. Well, in no time my kids wreaked havoc on it. Its thin and goes on like water. I dont want anything expensive but i want something that will withstand a little abuse and go on easy. I was thinking the valspar paint and primer in one.i mainly wanna stick to something like valspar or something from lowes as i get a small discount

marshrunner757 09-07-2012 05:37 PM

Valspar is great paint. Covers good with a nice coat. I'm actually in the middle of repainting now.

Sent from Skyrocket 2 via Tapatalk. Fish Hard

redaddiction 09-07-2012 05:43 PM

I just did my interior with Olympic One. Paint and primer in one. One coat coverage. About $25 per gallon.

jdm4x43732 09-07-2012 05:53 PM

I bought all my paint at Sherwin Williams and we like the way it turned out.

swamp snorkler 09-07-2012 05:54 PM

Ask salty, I can tell you this though, get some good brushes. Makes all the difference in the world

Keywest18 09-07-2012 06:48 PM

I guess im gonna have to spring for the good ones. I get the el cheapos and just do an extra coat or two

Salty 09-07-2012 08:20 PM

Y'all ever heard the old sayin', "You get what you pay for"? ;) They were referrin' to paint.

There is a ton of difference in Sherwin-Williams and Valspar. That "2 in 1" (primer/paint) is junk, IMO.

jdm4x43732 09-07-2012 08:25 PM

I tried doing my own and ended up hiring someone to do it. Didn't have the patience for it. Like with any other paint job the prep work makes all the difference in how it will come out.

Salty 09-07-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdm4x43732 (Post 489577)
I tried doing my own and ended up hiring someone to do it. Didn't have the patience for it. Like with any other paint job the prep work makes all the difference in how it will come out.

Yep, the paint job is only as good as the surface you put it on.

Keywest18 09-07-2012 09:07 PM

Im not looking for a "professional" finish. If i was buying the house or renting longer i would go "top shelf". I just want something that is better than the contractor paint crap thats on there now. The walls are in good shape, i dont need anything to hide imperfections just cover good

latravcha 09-07-2012 09:23 PM

SW paint is great stuff. Keep in mind you can haggle price with them. And if you are not in a hurry you can find coupons form30+% off

fishinpox 09-07-2012 10:14 PM

How much u need? I have a 5 gallon bucket of sherwin Williams "duraTion" paint it is top of te line sherwin Williams paint. It was mixed wrong , I'll post what the color looks like tomorrow ( can't remember but it might be kinda dark ) but if u can use it , it's yours . This stuff retails around 65$/ gallon

Keywest18 09-07-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 489669)
How much u need? I have a 5 gallon bucket of sherwin Williams "duraTion" paint it is top of te line sherwin Williams paint. It was mixed wrong , I'll post what the color looks like tomorrow ( can't remember but it might be kinda dark ) but if u can use it , it's yours . This stuff retails around 65$/ gallon

I cant use anything dark. He said he wants a light neutral color so when we move out he wont have to repaint

papap 09-08-2012 07:32 AM

Go with Valspar. When we were build our home. We had someone come in and stain cement floors. Well ceiling fans were on. So blades collected mist and slingged the stain on walls in ever room. We had used Valspar in one room and Bengiman Moore in the rest. Well the Valspar room, all we had to do was wipe walls clean. All the other rooms had to be repainted.

GIBob 09-08-2012 08:17 AM

Valspar good paint for the price

Salty 09-08-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papap (Post 489750)
Go with Valspar. When we were build our home. We had someone come in and stain cement floors. Well ceiling fans were on. So blades collected mist and slingged the stain on walls in ever room. We had used Valspar in one room and Bengiman Moore in the rest. Well the Valspar room, all we had to do was wipe walls clean. All the other rooms had to be repainted.

Valspar = satin/semi gloss/gloss

Benjamin Moore = flat/matte

That is the only logical explanation for this. Acrylics in enamel finishes are all somewhat easy to wipe stuff off of. I've even used mineral spirits to clean it. Benjamin Moore is arguably the best paint on the market, but, brand doesn't matter if it's a flat or matte finish. This paint is basically porous, so, wiping or cleaning it is almost impossible. My contractors didn't even want flat on sheetrock ceilings because of this.

I didn't say Valspar was no good. I suppose it's worth the price you'd pay at the "big box" store. But, compared to Benjamin Moore, Pittsburgh, Sherwin-Williams or Devoe......it's probably lacking in quality.

Salty 09-08-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIBob (Post 489756)
Valspar good paint for the price

I agree with that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted